FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Thanksgiving Flight Schedule Changes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1984080-thanksgiving-flight-schedule-changes.html)

sjcasflyer Aug 22, 2019 1:02 pm

Thanksgiving Flight Schedule Changes

Forgive me if this is more of a newbie question: I don't think I've ever noticed this before, but it looks like Alaska (and perhaps other airlines) really scale back their schedules on Thanksgiving Day (e.g. SFO - BOS 2x AS daily -> 0x AS on Thanksgiving)? I bought an SFO - BOS ticket back in March for Thanksgiving Day, and they just nixed both of their daily flights on Thanksgiving.

I got re-accomodated onto a Wednesday flight the day before, but I must say this is the first time that the next closest available flight option was on a different day.

Just curious as to how common this occurrence is, and if there is any reasonable compensation that is given for these changes, beyond re-accomodation/ability to refund the ticket (I wrote in to Alaska Cares and got an empathetic reply, but no compensation). Otherwise if this is par for the course, I'll consider this a lesson learned and learn to take it or leave it in the future.

Thanks!

bmvaughn Aug 22, 2019 1:40 pm

The reasonable compensation is the ability to cancel the ticket without fees I would imagine. Sucks, but if they aren't flying...

jrl767 Aug 22, 2019 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by bmvaughn (Post 31445012)
The reasonable compensation is the ability to cancel the ticket without fees I would imagine. Sucks, but if they aren't flying...

that's actually mandatory, but the airline owes you exactly zero compensation for a schedule change over three months in advance

bmvaughn Aug 22, 2019 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 31445237)
that's actually mandatory, but the airline owes you exactly zero compensation for a schedule change over three months in advance

mandatory in this case I agree, but not for all schedule changes.

Seattlenerd Aug 24, 2019 8:10 am

Originally Posted by sjcasflyer (Post 31444872)
Forgive me if this is more of a newbie question: I don't think I've ever noticed this before, but it looks like Alaska (and perhaps other airlines) really scale back their schedules on Thanksgiving Day (e.g. SFO - BOS 2x AS daily -> 0x AS on Thanksgiving)? I bought an SFO - BOS ticket back in March for Thanksgiving Day, and they just nixed both of their daily flights on Thanksgiving.

I got re-accomodated onto a Wednesday flight the day before, but I must say this is the first time that the next closest available flight option was on a different day.

Just curious as to how common this occurrence is, and if there is any reasonable compensation that is given for these changes, beyond re-accomodation/ability to refund the ticket (I wrote in to Alaska Cares and got an empathetic reply, but no compensation). Otherwise if this is par for the course, I'll consider this a lesson learned and learn to take it or leave it in the future.

Thanks!

I tend to fly Thanksgiving Day if I'm traveling that holiday week to avoid the crowds, and every year of the past several AS has either cancelled or dramatically changed my flight that day. Latest was a PHX-SEA itinerary for this coming Thanksgiving, changed early this month, as the flight schedule was reduced.

It's annoying and can screw with car rental plans (if the outbound is also changed, which it was in this case), but I've come to expect it.

beckoa Aug 24, 2019 7:08 pm

One could also probably route via SEA.

This is SOP for some holidays. Gives more crews a break to be with families too.