Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Please help me understand redemptions for Aer Lingus

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

i notice that redemptions for a route I am interested in, MUN to SEA, have gone from typical mileage to highly inflated values. I know there was a previous discussion on this topic, but to be honest, it still didn’t help me understand the situation very well.

Can someone kindly explain why flights post with these inflated amounts to me in a basic way?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:02 pm

There really is no rhyme or reason for the inflated values on certain flights like the 280k aer lingus business flights
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by radtechtraveler
There really is no rhyme or reason for the inflated values on certain flights like the 280k aer lingus business flights
It is my understanding (someone please correct me if I am wrong) that EI Saver rate is 60K in J Europe to/from North America. AS has access to 1 less seat than EI so there needs to be 2 Saver Seats available to book one as an award on AS. If there is no Saver availability, you have the option to use 280K for J and AS will purchase a revenue ticket for you.

If you value AS miles at 2 cents each, you are essentially paying $5,600 for your award ticket.

For the same 280K, you could fly CX F LAX/SFO/ORD/JFK/BOS-HKG-LHR or elsewhere in Europe where CX flies return. 185K in J. No F service from SEA.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Aug 13, 2019 at 9:29 pm
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It is my understanding (someone please correct me if I am wrong) that EI Saver rate is 60K in J Europe to/from North America. AS has access to 1 less seat than EI so there needs to be 2 Saver Seats available to book one as an award on AS. If there is no Saver availability, you have the option to use 280K for J and AS will purchase a revenue ticket for you.

If you value AS miles at 2 cents each, you are essentially paying $5,600 for your award ticket.

For the same 280K, you could fly CX F LAX/SFO/ORD/JFK/BOS-HKG-LHR or elsewhere in Europe where CX flies return. 185K in J. No F service from SEA.

James
i knew someone else would do the foot work for me
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...because they can
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. This was quite helpful to me.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
I was pumped to finally start planning a honeymoon with my AS stockpile on Aer Lingus. The redemptions are currently a freaking joke, and now I'm probably going to have to pay massive BA surcharges to get there.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by 91foxbody
I was pumped to finally start planning a honeymoon with my AS stockpile on Aer Lingus. The redemptions are currently a freaking joke, and now I'm probably going to have to pay massive BA surcharges to get there.
BA has high surcharges for F and J tickets but have reduced them for Y. Personally I don't mind the surcharge for an F ticket which also allows me a stopover, its still a good value.As far as Aer Lingus they still show lots of 60,000 J availability, the question is, is it real?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:31 am

Double post
Old Aug 14, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
BA has high surcharges for F and J tickets but have reduced them for Y. Personally I don't mind the surcharge for an F ticket which also allows me a stopover, its still a good value.As far as Aer Lingus they still show lots of 60,000 J availability, the question is, is it real?
Where are you seeing 60k J? I can't find anything under the 280k mark for the middle of next year.

I'm pretty set on flying J/F since my SO hasn't been out of the country/flown a wide body/etc. Y is pretty boring from west coast to Europe.

I hope we can figure it out, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've seen 60K on some narrow body flights (ex-PHL for example)
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
BA has also reduced surcharges on J/F awards too. CPT-LHR-YVR all in F is now in the $550 range when it was in the $850 range before. That is, of course, without a LHR stopover which adds a lot more.

James
jsguyrus likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by 91foxbody
Where are you seeing 60k J? I can't find anything under the 280k mark for the middle of next year.
Aer Lingus has been a moving target since they first showed up online and availability seems so come and go in mass rapidly. What others have reported is the 60K awards mostly were phantoms although that was never confirmed. Today I see almost no 60K awards so its possible AS eliminated all the phantom space. 280K is a stupid amount to pay for a one way trip to anywhere in J.
be_rettSEA, 91foxbody and pcoll like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
What others have reported is the 60K awards mostly were phantoms although that was never confirmed. Today I see almost no 60K awards so its possible AS eliminated all the phantom space.
I can confirm that.

Up until very recently, a search on AS showed plentiful J award space to Dublin every day (in fact 4 seats in J on every flight). Encouraging, wasn't it? If you searched in united.com, you would see the same thing. Even more encouraging, no?

Actually, no. Virtually all of that was phantom inventory. If you tried to book it, it would not ticket (typically you would get a message saying that they had to check with their partner, and they would get back to you within 24 hours). Shortly after 9 am Dublin time, you would get a follow-up message informing you that so sorry, the ticket could not be booked.

I confirmed this with multiple attempted bookings using AS miles and also using UA miles. The result was exactly the same - no ticket (so in fairness, the blame should be shared between EI, AS and UA - all three were participating in a pretty significant, willful deception). All that inventory you saw was fake fake fake fake fake.

A few days ago (maybe a week?) all that phantom inventory seems to have vanished overnight. Nothing left but those laughable 280K deals.

Too bad - it looked so promising, but was just a tease.
jsguyrus likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:38 pm

So basically AS will allow you to spend $11,000 in miles to purchase a $4,300 trip.
lalala and 91foxbody like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.