FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   No "Middle Name" on JAL award tix (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1982737-no-middle-name-jal-award-tix.html)

thepinenuts Aug 12, 2019 8:25 pm

No "Middle Name" on JAL award tix

Anyone recently had any problems with a JAL tix with no middle name on booking. Passport has middle name, e-ticket does not. New contract of carriage between JAL and AS specifically states middle name is no longer required.

Flying for Fun Aug 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by thepinenuts (Post 31409680)
Anyone recently had any problems with a JAL tix with no middle name on booking. Passport has middle name, e-ticket does not. New contract of carriage between JAL and AS specifically states middle name is no longer required.

I have two middle names and have had JL awards with both, just one and no middle names and never have had an issue. As long as your first and last names are correct, you shouldn't have a problem. You could ask AS to update the reservation to include the middle name.

I recently flew a friend out from Africa on an AA award on QR & AS. He goes by his middle name and I booked it as such. QR wouldn't allow the name because it didn't match his passport. It took AA two days to swap the two names and another to propogate through to AS. When I called AS to change an additional separate international segment, they did it in two minutes.

James

Erasmus Aug 12, 2019 10:40 pm

No issues, as recently as last month. AS agents tend to get bent all out of shape with JL tickets, but I have flown multiple JL tickets without my middle name--unless AS insists otherwise, I just use first and last, and have never had any issues.

(Note that is different than issuing your ticket in only middle and last names--that will surely give issues as the previous poster points out.). IME--and I have a lot of it, as I also have four names so my full name can't fit on a ticket anyway--airlines/security/immigration/whomever is happy if names in the middle are elided, but less so if the names on the ticket are only a pre or suffix.

beckoa Aug 12, 2019 10:54 pm

AS agents do want your middle name in the res for JL tickets. Weird quirk of booking online is its not auto propagated. I've since booked some tickets with my first and middle names in the first name field with a space.

JL didn't have an issue with the res I booked without my middle name (AS issued).

wonderlaw Aug 13, 2019 2:44 pm

I don't get a space.

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 31409951)
AS agents do want your middle name in the res for JL tickets. Weird quirk of booking online is its not auto propagated. I've since booked some tickets with my first and middle names in the first name field with a space.

JL didn't have an issue with the res I booked without my middle name (AS issued).

Beckoa, you are lucky. I don't get a space between my first and middle name on my JL bookings.

nearlysober Aug 14, 2019 3:36 pm

I just booked a reward ticket online and yeah, when I look up the flight on JL's website to select seats, etc. - no middle name.

Just last-name space first-name. My passport does show my middle name, hopefully it's not a problem.
No area to provide passport info online either... maybe it's too far out (Dec)? But most airlines I've flown let you populate that data in advance before online check-in... in fact some are downright pushy about collecting it early.