Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Nickel-and-Dimes on Finnair (AY) Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:32 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.

Just heads up, for the first time ever (in my case) Alaska refused to credit my Finnair flight operated by a subsidiary (Nora). Not a big deal, I know, but awfully inconsistent with past practices (I had those flights credited all the time). In fact, my companion on the same flight (and itinerary) got credit, and I have to argue with a rep. To no avail.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by a7m
Just heads up, for the first time ever (in my case) Alaska refused to credit my Finnair flight operated by a subsidiary (Nora). Not a big deal, I know, but awfully inconsistent with past practices (I had those flights credited all the time). In fact, my companion on the same flight (and itinerary) got credit, and I have to argue with a rep. To no avail.

I flew LED-HEL on Norra three weeks ago and received credit....
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:49 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Originally Posted by northwesterner
I flew LED-HEL on Norra three weeks ago and received credit....
I know! Thank you. Now I know I am not crazy. I got credit for a flight in late June. And then nothing for another flight in July. Maybe I got a difficult rep.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
This isn't "nickel and dimes"
Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Finnair.
This has been very well stated across the forum, the exception is not the rule.

See differing language from AS marketed but not operated flights:

To qualify, flights must be in the range of eligible flight numbers listed above, and must be marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines, or marketed by Alaska Airlines and operated by the airlines noted above.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Agree. Not nickel and dime-ing for them to follow the long-established program rules they've had clearly posted. You got lucky in the past with some errors on their part, just as I'm sure we all have in one way or another. I do agree it's strange that your travel companion got credit and was on the same flight/reservation and you didn't. I'd more expect AS to claw back their miles than to give you credit out of policy, but maybe you'll find another rep willing to make an exception and give you the miles. Hopefully it's not too many (imagine not as Nora is probably a regional/smaller operation), and now you know for the future that operating/marketing carriers are important (particularly when subsidiaries are involved).
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:24 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Not nickel and dime-ing for them to follow the long-established program rules they've had clearly posted. You got lucky in the past with some errors on their par.
I know what the rules state, but you are too quick to jump to some conclusions:
1) It was not luck. Crediting Nora flights was not a mistake that happened to just few people. It has been actually a long established practice by Alaska to credit those flights. Well, since Alaska partnered with Finnair. That's because...
2) Nora is a Finnair operation. Nora works exclusively for Finnair. In fact, Nora planes don't even say Nora. They have Finnair livery. It is like Delta and Delta Shuttle. AA and Eagle.
3) Nora flights are marketed only as Finnair flights and have only AY (Finnair) flight numbers.
4) The flight numbers in question fall into the range specified on Alaska site. The range is 1-2000. The flight was 700 something.

So, no, it is not luck. It is either a bad rep who handled the case or, worse, Alaska's whimsical accrual practice. I would not even call it a policy. It is just... whatever rep feels.
ACBLtd and PlowJockey like this.

Last edited by a7m; Aug 12, 2019 at 6:31 pm
Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by a7m
I know what the rules state, but you are too quick to jump to some conclusions.
Apologies for the jump to conclusions - I've not flown either Finnair or Nora. HUCA or email until you get the miles if you're within program terms.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Apologies for the jump to conclusions - I've not flown either Finnair or Nora. HUCA or email until you get the miles if you're within program terms.
I wasn't aware of the subsidiary either. With AY flight numbers within range it would be akin to flying an OO or QX flight with an AS Flight number.

BA also flies within South Africa, the flight numbers are BA and the livery is BA but operated by Com Air (in smaller font) with 4 digit flight numbers 6xxx. Those too are eligible flight numbers for BA flights and have posted automatically for me without issue with 500 minimum EQM. Return flights between JNB-CPT can be had for around USD $130 including baggage, a hot meal in Y and complimentary beer & wine.

James
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by a7m
Did you also confirm your fare class is eligible? If your ticket was in a fare class that doesn't credit, that may be the issue. I know you are on the same reservation/PNR but it is possible to have two different fare classes on one PRN. If the lowest fare has only one seat available and you request two, the second fare will be the next higher fare class with, at least, 1 available seat. The two fare classes will be added to give your total fare for the reservation. Something to look for.

Barring that, I would freehand an email requesting credit, attach a scan of your boarding pass and email to [email protected].

James
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:01 pm
a7m
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Did you also confirm your fare class is eligible?
Yes, it was eligible class (S). The ground for refusal was that Nora is not AS partner.
But anyway, I emailed another agent and got the flight credited.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Make sure your roll the Rs in Norra ...

The two F/As on my flight rolled their Rs more than I've ever heard Rs rolled.
a7m and ACBLtd like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Back before AA earnings were gutted, I had an AA Eagle flight not get credited. I emailed and got a similar reply saying that because the flight was “operated by Republic” I couldn’t get credit. It went back and forth several times with different people insisting that despite the flight being an AS codeshare and falling in the acceptable AA flight number range, it couldn’t be credited. I ended up calling and told the agent who laughed and credited the flight in about a minute.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: Asiana Diamond+, Qantas Gold, Virgin Gold
Resurrecting an old thread but seems the nickel and diming continues even post OneWorld.

I have an upcoming ticket SEA-HEL-SIN-SYD all coded as Finnair but with the final leg on British Airways. I figured I'd credit to Alaska as my Qantas OW status is locked in and I'd registered for the promo giving double miles on Finnair's new flights out of SEA.

Despite the added paragraph saying Finnair codeshares operated by other OneWorld carriers are eligible for credit, the eligible flight numbers then listed on Finnair's page on Alaska's website don't allow for any such OneWorld codeshares. 🙄

Sadly this appears to still be commonplace across many of AS's OneWorld partners, well over a year into membership. Qantas it is, then. 😑
Old Aug 24, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by navigator4309
Resurrecting an old thread but seems the nickel and diming continues even post OneWorld.

I have an upcoming ticket SEA-HEL-SIN-SYD all coded as Finnair but with the final leg on British Airways. I figured I'd credit to Alaska as my Qantas OW status is locked in and I'd registered for the promo giving double miles on Finnair's new flights out of SEA.

Despite the added paragraph saying Finnair codeshares operated by other OneWorld carriers are eligible for credit, the eligible flight numbers then listed on Finnair's page on Alaska's website don't allow for any such OneWorld codeshares. 🙄

Sadly this appears to still be commonplace across many of AS's OneWorld partners, well over a year into membership. Qantas it is, then. 😑
Agents usually allow oneworld codeshares - I've got an agent to manually credit a BA-marketed and AA-operated SFO-DFW for example. Flight number was BA5510 (AA2798) in Y fare and the AS agent ended up crediting it as an Alaska-marketed and operated flight (counting towards MVP/MVPG minimum), despite that BA flight number not being in the eligible range. Interestingly this earned 100% RDM and 175% EQM - no clue why but not complaining.

Old Aug 24, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: Asiana Diamond+, Qantas Gold, Virgin Gold
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
Agents usually allow oneworld codeshares - I've got an agent to manually credit a BA-marketed and AA-operated SFO-DFW for example. Flight number was BA5510 (AA2798) in Y fare and the AS agent ended up crediting it as an Alaska-marketed and operated flight (counting towards MVP/MVPG minimum), despite that BA flight number not being in the eligible range. Interestingly this earned 100% RDM and 175% EQM - no clue why but not complaining.

Thanks for the positive data point. I've also seen a number of other examples in threads for other partners where people are reporting mixed success, but sometimes even the successes have taken months of follow-up and pushing to get. Sounds like it's agent-roulette, which is disappointing. I'll have to decide whether the bonus on the SEA-HEL leg is worth the potential 0 on the SIN-SYD and how the total compares to what I'd get if I just credit to Qantas as usual.

AS really should update their partners to reflect their alleged commitment to OneWorld and standard practice across other carriers in the alliance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.