Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

No VIP checked baggage handling on Alaska

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No VIP checked baggage handling on Alaska

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It slows down to baggage drop process. Do you want to queue up to get your baggage tagged for priority? Seem counterproductive to add time to the check-in process to save a few minutes at pick-up.

James
There's a barcode on the bag, and the barcode is attached to my reservation, which has my status on it. Each bag gets scanned multiple times on the way to the plane. There's no need for an actual "VIP" tag to get added if an airline is willing to invest the dev time to build it properly.

Of course, this requires IT work. It's clearly not something Alaska thinks is a priority, so it'll never happen.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
There's a barcode on the bag, and the barcode is attached to my reservation, which has my status on it. Each bag gets scanned multiple times on the way to the plane. There's no need for an actual "VIP" tag to get added if an airline is willing to invest the dev time to build it properly.

Of course, this requires IT work. It's clearly not something Alaska thinks is a priority, so it'll never happen.
It goes way beyond AS investing in their IT. The entire baggage handling system would need to be reprogrammed to sort the bags by priority. If each flight requires two chutes to keep them seperate then only half the flights can be accommodated. A baggage handler isn't going to look at each barcode separately to determine which is a "VIP" tagged bag and which isn't. If it was such an easy solution, all the major airlines wouldn't still be adding priority tags manually. Priority handling of baggage is a manual process!

James
bmvaughn, writerguyfl and jsguyrus like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
Well at least for the connecting international flights. Many times I fly with as to ba to Europe via LHR and it is really unfortunate at LHR to be without urgent sitckers or priority. Even worse on landing i have to wait a long time even though I flew business or first class all the way through. If there is only Alaska flight, involved it is good as is
Old Aug 13, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by felicidad76
Well at least for the connecting international flights. Many times I fly with as to ba to Europe via LHR and it is really unfortunate at LHR to be without urgent sitckers or priority. Even worse on landing i have to wait a long time even though I flew business or first class all the way through. If there is only Alaska flight, involved it is good as is
Save a few from your return and attach before bag drop. It won't change AS handling domestic but should once transferred to the international flight.

James
Old Aug 13, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
In terms of sorting, "Priority" bags are normally last to be loaded, so they come off first and sometimes have their own bag runner. Not sure I can see Menzies doing that when they seem to love throwing our bags from the pit the way it is.

This morning I flew YEG-YVR on WestJet. 100% full flight. Only like 4 of us in bag claim. I think that was by far the fastest drop I've ever had at YVR (<10 mins after arrival).
missamo80 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
In terms of sorting, "Priority" bags are normally last to be loaded, so they come off first and sometimes have their own bag runner. Not sure I can see Menzies doing that when they seem to love throwing our bags from the pit the way it is.

This morning I flew YEG-YVR on WestJet. 100% full flight. Only like 4 of us in bag claim. I think that was by far the fastest drop I've ever had at YVR (<10 mins after arrival).
WS charges CAD $30 for a checked bag flying South and USD $30 (CAD $39.65) flying North. Most passengers try to avoid the fees so not surprising. Interestingly (or not!) WS was founded on the SW Model, flew it's first flight on February 29th, 1996 and was the first Canadian Airline to charge bag fees.

James
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Derailing further... but WS' former CEO did spend a decade first at AS:

Gregg Saretsky appointed new President and CEO of WestJet

But agree, its a logistical mess to set this up and I'd like AS to concentrate on getting all bags under 20 minutes ^
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Derailing further... but WS' former CEO did spend a decade first at AS:

Gregg Saretsky appointed new President and CEO of WestJet

But agree, its a logistical mess to set this up and I'd like AS to concentrate on getting all bags under 20 minutes ^
Or collect enough compensation miles for a free CX/JL flight to Asia. Only 20 certificates required. One poster has already collected 30K this year.

As per the "derailment," I could fill a thread with how I despise WS and boycott them. They are the epitome of hypocrisy. Enough said.

Back to VIP checked bags.

James
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by ASA_1
Anyone else thing it's a little lame Alaska doesn't have VIP baggage handling for gold/75k/ first class? United has the orange "VIP" flag they attach to the checked bag sticker/tag. I think in general this helps them prioritize getting those bags off first, although any experienced UAL traveler knows that's not always the case. Maybe Alaska thinks their 20 minute bag guarantee is sufficient across the board? Thoughts?
When I used to fly UA, I would generally expect to wait 30-45 minutes for my priority-tagged bags. AS typically delivers them in under 20, without discrimination. Knowing that I got my bags earlier than some poor kettle (on UA) didn’t make the long wait any better — it just made me more angry at UA.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by milypan

When I used to fly UA, I would generally expect to wait 30-45 minutes for my priority-tagged bags. AS typically delivers them in under 20, without discrimination. Knowing that I got my bags earlier than some poor kettle (on UA) didn’t make the long wait any better — it just made me more angry at UA.
At HNL, it is common for priority tagged bags to come out in the middle rather than at the beginning. One time, my priority tagged bag was the second to the last one to come down the chute, and that was from a full 772, 45 min after the door opened.
​​​​
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:04 pm

It doesn’t bother me because I seldom have to wait very long to begin with. My bag came off about 21 minutes after parking at C concourse in Seattle Thurs. Decided it wasn’t worth bothering with BSG but that was honestly the closest I’ve come on any AS flight. At ORD, my bag often beats me to baggage claim when I check one.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:10 am

I used to think having no elite level baggage handling was a fault. However, Alaska really does have the fastest baggage handling in the industry. I rarely wait more than 15 minutes. So I now don't think it's necessary, especially if it would slow down the overall process.
AS Flyer, be_rettSEA and mtnsider like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
On AS I don’t mind checking a bag because it’s out lightning fast! All bags get VIP treatment! Great job Alaska!
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA EXP/3MM, DL MM, former fan of TWA
Just one more anecdote... last night, I flew AA into PHL and my checked luggage had an orange priority tag attached. According to the AA app, it was 27 minutes from the scan taken when the luggage was off-loaded from the plane to the scan when the item arrived at the luggage belt. My bag was one of the last off the plane. I am quite happy with the AS system as it is today.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by missamo80
I've complained to Alaska before about lack of VIP bag treatment and it's exactly this. They will tell you that with the 20 minute bag guarantee everyone's bags come out fast so there's no need for VIP service.

Of course that means as an elite member you might still be standing around at the carousel at minute 20 as the last bag comes down the chute and it's yours.

I hate it too, but Alaska doesn't seem to understand that when you are a frequent traveler you want every minute you can back in your travels. VIP tags would help, even with the 20 minute guarantee.

Neil
As a 75K, when I do check a bag I’m standing at carousel longer than others without status because I get off plane first. It’s a challenge to wait for a single bag that comes off later and now I’m in line waiting for a car etc. I think prioritizing bags for elite requires very little investment by AS other than culture to handlers to prioritize elite passengers bags.

Good will often comes at no additional cost for your most frequent fliers.
missamo80 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.