AA Gold flying AS SFO-JFK. Any tips?

Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA(xPLT now GLD), UA, DL, HH(GLD), MR(GLD), HY(DIS), and others...
AA Gold flying AS SFO-JFK. Any tips?

Due to price and timing, I’ve booked AS from SFO-JFK early in September. I’m wondering whether my AA status gets me anything in benefits on AS? Bags, boarding, seating? This flight ✈️ s not an aa codeshare.

Any other tips for an AS novice?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:18 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Alaska and American have not honored each other’s elite status since January 2018. And since it’s not an AA codeshare, you can’t even earn AA miles.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by echoch
Due to price and timing, I’ve booked AS from SFO-JFK early in September. I’m wondering whether my AA status gets me anything in benefits on AS? Bags, boarding, seating? This flight ✈️ s not an aa codeshare.

Unfortunately, with the AS/VX merger, Elite status benefites between AA & AS "flew" away.

Even an AS Elite fying on an AS codeshare flight does not have a baggage fee waiver.

James
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Fly AA? What's the difference in timing and price? Is it really worth it?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro

Well, if you have an Admirals club membership, you can at least get lounge access. Which is not something that AS elites/AS lounge members can claim.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Fly AA? What's the difference in timing and price? Is it really worth it?

Its a business trip for a cheap client and the difference is about 100% (just $150). The timing is a couple of hours - but it means getting into a hotel in NYC before midnight rather than after - with an early wakeup call for an important meeting.

I had considered the redeye, as that didn't make sense given the need to be alive the next morning, afternoon, and evening for business commitments, and I didn't have a place to change into a suit.

I know I am nuts for this decision. Please don't rub it in. By the way, my 24 hour window to cancel has closed.

Now, do you experts, who would never do what I just did, have ANY THOUGHTS on ways I might salvage the miles by using another airlines' program. (I've joined Mileage Plan but unless I find some ways to add miles to that, I'll have stranded those miles until they expire.)
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Now, do you experts, who would never do what I just did, have ANY THOUGHTS on ways I might salvage the miles by using another airlines' program. (I've joined Mileage Plan but unless I find some ways to add miles to that, I'll have stranded those miles until they expire.)
You'd be earning double miles on that flight.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/earn-d...h-end-of-2019/

Alaska requires earning every 18 months to keep miles from expiring. It's pretty easy to do, you can even earn miles going out to eat.

https://mileageplan.rewardsnetwork.com/

If you're based in the US, I don't see that putting miles in, say, Singapore Airlines (where the miles WILL expire in three years, no matter what) is all that much better.

https://www.wheretocredit.com/alaska-airlines

Alaska redemptions start at 5,000 miles. You're going to earn about 5000 miles just on that flight if you register for that promotion.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
The best advise has been given directly above this. I'd also recommend buying Premium Class for the flight, it's worth it for the legroom alone for a flight of that length.
echoch likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 12:38 pm

hopefully you'll see this - but if you're taking the flight at 110p today, try to get seat 28A or 27F - both have a lot of legroom - a lot more than Premium Class. Right now it looks as though both seats are open and, if you're lucky, they may not fill the middle seat next to you for more space... The only downside is the light from the bathroom nearby could disturb your sleep, but nothing a good eye mask won't fix.
echoch likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
hopefully you'll see this - but if you're taking the flight at 110p today, try to get seat 28A or 27F - both have a lot of legroom - a lot more than Premium Class. Right now it looks as though both seats are open and, if you're lucky, they may not fill the middle seat next to you for more space... The only downside is the light from the bathroom nearby could disturb your sleep, but nothing a good eye mask won't fix.
I'm not flying for a while - September - but you've got the right flight and I've gotten the right seat...28A.

Incidentally this doesn't show up correctly in SeatGuru - it shows the "good" seat at 27A... but, if you look at the seat maps I've attached (comparing SeatGuru with Alaska's seat map), the row number in SeatGuru is incorrect and the "green" seat is shown as 27A, but actually that seat doesn't exist on this plane.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pptx
seatmaps.pptx (103.6 KB, 16 views)
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You'd be earning double miles on that flight.
-------
If you're based in the US, I don't see that putting miles in, say, Singapore Airlines (where the miles WILL expire in three years, no matter what) is all that much better.

Alaska redemptions start at 5,000 miles. You're going to earn about 5000 miles just on that flight if you register for that promotion.
=================
All great information. I would not have known that I'd get double miles on Alaska. Thanks.

But here's the conundrum. I am not sure how I might collect enough miles on Alaska to generate an award (unless I bit the bullet and get their credit card - which is not really an ideal solution for me). The 5,000 miles award is for a short hop on Alaska primarily from what I can see, and I don't expect to have many of those opportunities. I could probably supplement the miles I get here with miles from American flights which have an AS code share and get to a level where I have more choices.

On the other hand, as a holder of Chase Sapphire Reserve and Amex Platinum cards, I could credit these miles to KrisFlyer and then can transfer UR or MR miles into a Singapore KrisFlyer account (perhaps hoping for an "offer" with some bonus for the transfer) and then use those to add to the miles I get from this flight - even though I'll forego the double miles bonus. The KF miles can be used for Star Alliance flights. I am thinking that I might have more chance of making use of those miles.

Am I thinking in the right direction? Any factors I should be thinking of?
Old Aug 12, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
If you're reasonably certain you'll be transferring UR or MR to SQ in the next few years, then absolutely go for it. If not... it might still make sense, given that that's at least an option and you don't see yourself earning enough AS miles to be useful to you, given that the opportunity cost of a handful of miles in one currency you might use is a larger handful of miles in a currency you almost definitely won't use.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Just discovered the Mileage Plan status match. That’s one way to get some benefits on this flight.

Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
=================
Am I thinking in the right direction? Any factors I should be thinking of?
Miles in SQ are "use it or lose it" in three years from earning date, regardless of future earnings- the miles expire. Miles in AS stay valid as long as you continue to earn/burn (and like I said, you can buy a drink or a meal somewhere and keep the miles alive for 18 months).
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Just discovered the Mileage Plan status match. That’s one way to get some benefits on this flight.

I woudn't burn the "once in a lifetime" status match on this flight, but my own 2c. I'd wait for a better opportunity; more increased AS flying.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.