FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   First class upgades never work after a same-day confirmed change??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1982157-first-class-upgades-never-work-after-same-day-confirmed-change.html)

johndoe123 Aug 8, 2019 12:31 pm

First class upgades never work after a same-day confirmed change???

Almost every time, if I change flights at check in ("same day change") as a MVP gold, it will continue to state "first class waitlisted" on the phone app, but sure enough I can not find my name when I view the waitlist. Sure enough, I won't get the upgrade either.

I can call in every time and they will uncheck and re-check me in to fix the problem, but how come this is occurring, and how can I prevent it?

jerry a. laska Aug 8, 2019 1:26 pm

See these threads among others:
It is hit or miss (mostly miss) getting back on the list after SDC:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...de-list-2.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...xperience.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...aitlist-4.html

mike28 Aug 8, 2019 6:01 pm

Your best bet to get back on the airport upgrade list after a SDC is to wait 10 minutes to check in after doing the SDC.
If you do a SDC and don't find your name on the airport list, that is the same as the upgrade waitlist on the flight status in your app, then ask the gate agent to add you on the list.

ffman999 Aug 8, 2019 6:41 pm

I’ve never been able to get on the upgrade list with SDC unless customer service calls the airport to ask them to manually add.

dabeags Aug 8, 2019 8:29 pm

I recently did two SDCs. The first was about 1 hour before the flight and I never showed in the upgrade list but did go straight to premium class. Second one was about 2 hours ahead and I did show #1 on the upgrade list for 2 open FC seats. However, #2 on the list was upgraded and someone went straight to first from the standby list. Now idea why on either.

vanillabean Oct 24, 2021 8:14 am

In order to arrive at MVPG75K in November rather than December, my plan to earn the needed ~100 miles is to request a same-day change for my next flight coming up soon.

It is my understanding that when your reservation is for a nonstop flight and there is no other nonstop flight that same day for the route, you can call at checkin the day before and request a conventional one stop route with the same origin and destination.

Since I am on the phone with AS anyway about the reservation, couldn’t CS put me on the upgrade list right then and there, or even better, at that time put me in U space if available?

anteater Oct 24, 2021 10:09 am

Originally Posted by vanillabean (Post 33670136)
In order to arrive at MVPG75K in November rather than December, my plan to earn the needed ~100 miles is to request a same-day change for my next flight coming up soon.

It is my understanding that when your reservation is for a nonstop flight and there is no other nonstop flight that same day for the route, you can call at checkin the day before and request a conventional one stop route with the same origin and destination.

Since I am on the phone with AS anyway about the reservation, couldn’t CS put me on the upgrade list right then and there, or even better, at that time put me in U space if available?

AS has become more strict with respect to exercising SDC.You'd need to look at the fare rules for your specific ticket to see if you're eligible now. I am guessing there's a line that says it must be a non-stop flight. I ran into this issue in the last couple of months when I would frequently SDC at check-in from a direct flight between A and C to A to B to C. AS was adamant that they must follow their fare rules and SDC rules that maintain it as a direct flight and routing. Prior to this experience, I had exercised a SDC in this manner dozens of time without AS blinking an eye. After some discussion with a higher up, I learned that AS indeed update their policy with respect to SDC's, or at least to adhering to the fare rules. My best guess is that the action by so many elites was impacting AS' financially.

For example, if you were trying to do SAN - SFO and there was 1x daily, but you wanted to move onto SAN - PDX - SFO I believe AS will deny your request, citing that the lack of other direct flights doesn't entitle the pax to override the direct flight clause or routing rules.

If you can get AS to confirm you on your new itinerary, they can also add you on the waitlist at that time. This was a non-issue on reservation call recently for me.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

AndyKehn Oct 24, 2021 1:29 pm

back when I was trying to requalify with my weekly AUS-SEA, I always booked direct since its the cheapest, then SDC to AUS-LAX/SFO/SAN/SJC-SEA at the 24h check in window. I just did last week actually and paid the extra $9 something for the fee. Never had any agent try to say no.

Flying for Fun Oct 24, 2021 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by AndyKehn (Post 33670815)
back when I was trying to requalify with my weekly AUS-SEA, I always booked direct since its the cheapest, then SDC to AUS-LAX/SFO/SAN/SJC-SEA at the 24h check in window. I just did last week actually and paid the extra $9 something for the fee. Never had any agent try to say no.

The collection of $8.80, extra segment fee $4.30 & PFC, Passenger Facility Fee $4.50, indicates it was re-fared. Perhaps they did not charge a fare difference so an interesting datapoint. As of late, AS has been very strict at adhering to the SDC policy, which has always been in effect but not adhered to prior.

James

Erasmus Oct 25, 2021 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by anteater (Post 33670393)
Prior to this experience, I had exercised a SDC in this manner dozens of time without AS blinking an eye. After some discussion with a higher up, I learned that AS indeed update their policy with respect to SDC's, or at least to adhering to the fare rules. My best guess is that the action by so many elites was impacting AS' financially.

And that's why we can't have nice things! As an AS elite from the land of one-flight-a-day-routes, thanks for ruining it for the rest of us. SDC with routing restrictions is literally useless out of SAN except for SEA, PDX, and the Bay Area. This is a *huge* loss.

anteater Oct 25, 2021 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus (Post 33673544)
And that's why we can't have nice things! As an AS elite from the land of one-flight-a-day-routes, thanks for ruining it for the rest of us. SDC with routing restrictions is literally useless out of SAN except for SEA, PDX, and the Bay Area. This is a *huge* loss.

I’m not sure the elites should be at fault here for utilizing a published benefit. Those SDC changes were all adhering to policy, as AS considers the three Bay Area airports co-terminals and an exception (also several LA airports and SEA/PAE).

Perhaps the blame lays with AS who made the change.

🤙🏻

Erasmus Oct 25, 2021 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by anteater (Post 33673635)
I’m not sure the elites should be at fault here for utilizing a published benefit. Those SDC changes were all adhering to policy, as AS considers the three Bay Area airports co-terminals and an exception (also several LA airports and SEA/PAE).

I ran into this issue in the last couple of months when I would frequently SDC at check-in from a direct flight between A and C to A to B to C.
The above do not seem to be consistent statements.

anteater Oct 25, 2021 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Erasmus (Post 33673643)
The above do not seem to be consistent statements.

A lack of understanding doesn't mean data is inconsistent.

For example, in time past one could buy a qualifying paid F fare and then utilize SDC on a ticket of SFO - SNA into SJC - SNA, but since there were (and still are) currently no direct flights AS would reroute through SEA; hence, turning SFO - SNA into SJC - SEA - SNA, and said ticket followed the fare rules and SDC change rules. However, AS updated the SDC change rules and one can no longer exercise a SDC even on a qualifying fare if no direct flights exist between the new desired airports. For example, if you hold SFO - LAX, you can SDC that into SJC - LAX but you cannot SDC into SJC - SNA.🤙🏻🍹

AndyKehn Oct 25, 2021 3:54 pm

There are 2 topics here:

1 is co terminal (SJC/SFO, LAX/SNA) which I have no comment on.

The other is changing A-B to A-C-B which should be fine. There are many times when all the nonstops are booked and the only other option is 1 stop and we should be able to SDC to those. Delta allows this. American doesn't. So maybe Alaska is trying to match AA following OW admission. If so this is a devaluation by Alaska and we should fault them for making a customer-unfriendly change.

Erasmus Oct 25, 2021 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by anteater (Post 33673692)
A lack of understanding doesn't mean data is inconsistent.

And changing the example doesn't avoid the point. You plainly stated above you routinely moved from A-C to A-B-C (with no discussion about A not actually being A anymore because of co-terminals). You're far from alone; many on here boast about using SDC to book cheaper fares than AS would normally command in order to increase their segment/status mile count. Indeed, there's another example in this thread alone:

Originally Posted by AndyKehn (Post 33670815)

I just frequently want to get home (to SAN) and am usually holding a ticket on the only non-stop of the day from pick your east-coast city, typically an evening flight. All earlier AS options involve a connection; used to be I could elect the more painful routing to get home to my family sooner. Now, no dice: I will have to pay the day-of fare in order to make that change. Basically the standard business case for SDC. Now a huge fail for AS.