FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Alaska cancelled flight, won’t rebook companion fare on partner airline (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1982068-alaska-cancelled-flight-won-t-rebook-companion-fare-partner-airline.html)

Melissa Melendez Aug 7, 2019 5:34 pm

Alaska cancelled flight, won’t rebook companion fare on partner airline

Newbie here in need of advice. Two months ago I booked tickets to Cabo for my family of four using one companion fare. Happened to be checking my account to see that Alaska canceled the flight and rebooked me to a flight that is not possible (2nd leg departs before 1st leg arrives). I called them to correct their mistake. They have a nearly identical flight available from a partner airline on their website that I requested instead. They said because I had a companion fare they could not use a partner airline and I would not be able to fly out that day. My options were for a refund or to fly on a different day. All of our travel arrangements have been made and paid for so travel on a different day is not possible. The new flights are now over $1000 so not an option either. I am now waiting for a call back within the next 48 hours from a supervisor’s supervisor 🙄. I am exhausted and irritated that they don’t feel they need to find me a comparable flight despite me using a companion fare . Any advice in talking to AA?

beckoa Aug 7, 2019 7:30 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk @Melissa Melendez and good luck with your adventure. Escalation can help; but I'm not very optimistic that you'll have success with this. What is the routing you had? Can you overnight in SEA? Maybe AS can put you up in a hotel there so you make your downline connection.

AS is extremely inflexible with companion certs. Even "day of" disruptions I've had them unwilling to move me to other carriers when on a companion certificate. Glad you saw this with some advanced notice ^

radtechtraveler Aug 7, 2019 10:48 pm

its all about that companion cert, That basically limits you to only AS, There is nothing AA can do because its book on AS through AS using a special AS only item. :/ hoping for the best for you

channa Aug 7, 2019 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 31392047)
Even "day of" disruptions I've had them unwilling to move me to other carriers when on a companion certificate.

Really? I've been sent over to UA on an IRROP on a companion cert before.

rustykettel Aug 8, 2019 3:04 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 31392543)

Me too. Moved over to AA on a companion fare when there no reroute available on AS.

Melissa Melendez Aug 8, 2019 8:14 am

Thank you for the insight friends. We are flying Reno to Cabo. I’m so used to SW bending over backward for me so was shocked when they told me you we won’t give you a comparable flight that day. ��

interestingly the group we are traveling with booked the same flight through Travelocity. Travelocity sent them an email informing them of this cancellation (Im glad somebody’s on the ball) and also changed them at no charge to the flight that day that AA won’t put us on, apparently eating the price difference. I informed AA that Travelocity provided them with better customer service than I was receiving as an AA member booking directly through them, I am still waiting to hear back from a supervisor, I will see if we can change our plans to depart Reno a day early to LA and stay for the night to join the rest of our traveling party that has a stopover in LA the next day and request hotel/food vouchers. Thanks for the help!

rustykettel Aug 8, 2019 8:29 am

AA=American Airlines
AS=Alaska Airlines

;)

Colin Aug 8, 2019 8:29 am

SMF-SAN-SJD

Melissa Melendez Aug 8, 2019 8:47 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 31393734)
AA=American Airlines
AS=Alaska Airlines

;)

Oohhh, thank you lol. Figured since I was posting in the AS forum you guys would speak my language 😁 Now that you’re all thoroughly confused lol.

CZBB Aug 8, 2019 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Melissa Melendez (Post 31393676)
Thank you for the insight friends. We are flying Reno to Cabo. I’m so used to SW bending over backward for me so was shocked when they told me you we won’t give you a comparable flight that day. ��

Originally Posted by Melissa Melendez (Post 31393814)
Oohhh, thank you lol. Figured since I was posting in the AS forum you guys would speak my language 😁 Now that you’re all thoroughly confused lol.

We all do speak the same language, and for two letter codes, it's IATA.

Also, I'm surprised someone from Reno would be used to flying on SW (Air Namibia)

Flying for Fun Aug 8, 2019 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Melissa Melendez (Post 31393676)
Interestingly the group we are traveling with booked the same flight through Travelocity. Travelocity sent them an email informing them of this cancellation (Im glad somebody’s on the ball) and also changed them at no charge to the flight that day that AA won’t put us on, apparently eating the price difference. I informed AA that Travelocity provided them with better customer service than I was receiving as an AA member booking directly through them, I am still waiting to hear back from a supervisor, I will see if we can change our plans to depart Reno a day early to LA and stay for the night to join the rest of our traveling party that has a stopover in LA the next day and request hotel/food vouchers. Thanks for the help!

It is good to see some dara points on reaccommodation to other airlines (although your situation isn't IRROPS) when traveling on a companion certificate, however, you are comparing apples with oranges.

The group who booked through Travelocity did not book with a companion certificate. Your companion certificate reduced the fare for your companion to $99 plus fees & taxes. Companion certificates have additional restrictions, must be on AS metal flights only and cannot be used other than on the AS website or through the AS call centre.

Do you have AS Elite Status? In many cases, written policy "flies" away when status arrives. ;) YMMV

AS might very well allow a change without fee if you don't have a change fee waiver to fly to LAX the night before but I wouldn't expect a hotel & food vouchers but you can request them. Departing early would be voluntary, flying to LAX and missing the connection isn't.

James

Flying for Fun Aug 8, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by CZBB (Post 31394004)
We all do speak the same language, and for two letter codes, it's IATA.

Also, I'm surprised someone from Reno would be used to flying on SW (Air Namibia)

I am also surprised "FU" (Fuzhou Airlines in China) hasn't been excluded from the IATA list. :eek:

James

Melissa Melendez Aug 8, 2019 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31394128)
It is good to see some dara points on reaccommodation to other airlines (although your situation isn't IRROPS) when traveling on a companion certificate, however, you are comparing apples with oranges.

The group who booked through Travelocity did not book with a companion certificate. Your companion certificate reduced the fare for your companion to $99 plus fees & taxes. Companion certificates have additional restrictions, must be on AS metal flights only and cannot be used other than on the AS website or through the AS call centre.

Do you have AS Elite Status? In many cases, written policy "flies" away when status arrives. ;) YMMV

AS might very well allow a change without fee if you don't have a change fee waiver to fly to LAX the night before but I wouldn't expect a hotel & food vouchers but you can request them. Departing early would be voluntary, flying to LAX and missing the connection isn't.

James

That makes sense with the companion fare. They already have us booked on the LAX to Cabo portion. It’s the new Reno to San Jose - San Jose to LAX portion that they’ve assigned us that doesn’t jive - they have us arriving in San Jose at 7:30 AM and then departing from San Jose to LAX at 6:50 AM. I am new so they won’t allow me to post a screenshot. The request for hotel expenses are only because they will not put me on another flight for that day that I already booked and paid for months ago. I just don’t think it’s right that I am out of pocket at an overnight hotel for my family of 4 for their cancellation and impossible reassigned itinerary.

Melissa Melendez Aug 8, 2019 10:59 am

I very much appreciate this feedback!

Snowdevil Aug 8, 2019 11:40 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 31392543)

Mechanical cancellations on the day of travel are handled differently than a routine schedule change weeks or months ahead.