FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS1949 3+ hour wait to de-board early this morning at SFO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1981720-as1949-3-hour-wait-de-board-early-morning-sfo.html)

sfozrhfco Aug 6, 2019 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by princeville (Post 31385500)

I was curious about this when I flew AF PPT-LAX earlier this year. I don’t recall the source I found, but the answer seemed to be that no, EC261 does not apply to French Polynesian flights. Only the passengers that continued that flight to CDG would be eligible.

French Polynesia is an OCT (Overseas Countries and Territories) which are not considered to be part of the EU.

tom911 Aug 7, 2019 6:44 pm

SFGate: 'They gave up': Alaska Airlines passengers stuck on SFO tarmac for over 3 hours

"We understand and apologize that our guests on AS Flight 1949 did not have the top-notch experience that Alaska Airlines strives to provide each and every day," director of community and public relations Oriana Branon said in a statement.

She added that pilots and crew communicated to guests throughout the tarmac wait to ensure they were aware of what was going on. Each guest was provided with a flight credit as compensation for his or her time. Branon hopes that the airline's customer service during and after the flight has helped to rectify the unfortunate circumstances.

jjmadison Aug 7, 2019 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 31391962)

On behalf of all of us who fly the LAX-SFO route, thank you to @KevinSFO for raising this incident as a concern.

The one thing I wish Alaska PR would have said was, "we are making [XXX] improvements to ensure similar incidents will not happen again". Unfortunately, their response implies the status quo is fine and no improvements are being made.

KevinSFO Aug 7, 2019 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 31391962)

I have to say, I'm not happy with they way that article mischaracterized my post. The gist of it was certainly not that the flight staff gave up on us. I'm sure they did the best they could while some poor operational decisions were being made outside of the aircraft.

1K-SFO Aug 8, 2019 3:44 am

Just landed SFO at 2:30am on a delayed JFK flight (scheduled 8:40pm, extremely delayed due to weather).

We sat sat on the runway for about 5min and then the captain announced our gate was occupied. She was apologetic and used the word “annoyed” herself and encouraged us to contact Alaska to complain. Thankfully they cleared a gate within another 5min and we taxied and deplaned. But I certainly had this story on the mind and after the six hour delay was steeling myself for a long additional sit.

Boraxo Aug 8, 2019 7:07 am

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 31382739)
I am usually pretty open minded about these things but that is inexcusable. If you have to, use the fire department emergency stairs and a cargo lift for the handicapped passenger.

We keep seeing the same thing over and over, AS has no plan for IRROPS

I'm not open-minded but the same adjective came to mind: INEXCUSABLE

the usual excuses simply don't work here: There was no immigration/customs processing needed; this was not a diversion to some remote airport with no services, and SFO is not an airport run by contract personnel but rather a major AS hub. How - in 2019 - can AS not have a contingency plan for something as simple as offloading passengers when they land on a regularly scheduled flight?

The PR response was disappointing - typically failure to take responsibility, admit blame, indicate that efforts will be made to review and correct the problem or even a true apology.

notquiteaff Aug 8, 2019 8:07 am

How much “flight credit” did they offer you as compensation, KevinSFO?

RetiredSFOATC Aug 8, 2019 8:20 am

Originally Posted by KevinSFO (Post 31392344)
I have to say, I'm not happy with they way that article mischaracterized my post. The gist of it was certainly not that the flight staff gave up on us. I'm sure they did the best they could while some poor operational decisions were being made outside of the aircraft.

Couldn't agree more. It's almost funny to read the comments following the SFGate article... how wrong people can be about what they think they know. But, to the point: Having worked more than my share of midnight shifts in the SFO control tower (albeit quite some time ago), and watching airline ramp people moving airplanes around positioning for the next day, I just don't understand how this can happen. There are lots of places to park empty airplanes when necessary. Why AS didn't reposition a plane to a remote area long enough to accommodate offloading the arrival is only indicative of some major fail someplace. Did some ramp worker go home before they were supposed to? And AS's response to the media is downright shocking - no indication at all of what a big deal this actually was. It's certainly a one-off, but not one that is excusable in any way.

notquiteaff Aug 8, 2019 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31382661)

You may be assured that there is no chance AS paid a crew and operated an aircraft for three hours if that was avoidable at another gate.

it *was* avoidable if they had planned for the arrival of the aircraft. I don’t know Jack about airport operations, but I have to imagine that someone is in charge of assigning a gate to arriving aircraft. This wasn’t a case of a surprising, unplanned arrival. It wasn’t a case of other aircraft departures getting delayed due to unforeseen circumstances, and thus blocking gates. And this was a hub airport for Alaska.

No excuses. Someone dropped the ball. Probably more than once. And that isn’t just causing Alaska to pay for crew for three extra hours.

KevinSFO Aug 8, 2019 11:34 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 31393661)
How much “flight credit” did they offer you as compensation, KevinSFO?

They offered $300 useable for one reservation in the next year. It will likely go unused.

sltlyamusd Aug 8, 2019 11:43 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 31393762)

it *was* avoidable if they had planned for the arrival of the aircraft. I don’t know Jack about airport operations, but I have to imagine that someone is in charge of assigning a gate to arriving aircraft. This wasn’t a case of a surprising, unplanned arrival. It wasn’t a case of other aircraft departures getting delayed due to unforeseen circumstances, and thus blocking gates. And this was a hub airport for Alaska.

No excuses. Someone dropped the ball. Probably more than once. And that isn’t just causing Alaska to pay for crew for three extra hours.

Totally agree, and they need to figure out how to solve these issues at SFO. This is minor in comparison, but just an example of the sort of stuff I see. For example, flight status currently shows AS389 today to Seattle with an on-time departure at 11:20 am, but the inbound flight (AS405) is currently en-route, with a delayed arrival estimated at 11:19 am. Not sure if they plan on warping the space-time continuum, but there is no way that plane is getting turned around in one minute for an on-time departure. Why doesn't the right hand know what the left hand is doing?

milypan Aug 8, 2019 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd (Post 31394487)
Totally agree, and they need to figure out how to solve these issues at SFO. This is minor in comparison, but just an example of the sort of stuff I see.

I'd also note that SFO is the one airport where I consistently get 20-min bag guarantee claims. It's at the point where I'd rather just have the bag get there in 15 minutes with zero miles than wait another 10 minutes and get 2,500 miles.

tusphotog Aug 8, 2019 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 31393762)
I don’t know Jack about airport operations, but I have to imagine that someone is in charge of assigning a gate to arriving aircraft.

There is. My guess (and this is only a guess), is whomever did the gate plan for that day or week had the delayed aircraft assigned to a gate. When it was clear they would be late, they decided to use the open gate for another arrival. At that point, nobody in SFO ops realized that the airplanes were in the wrong spot.

I’d be willing to give AS some time here to move airplanes, however, it’s inexcusable they couldn’t move an airplane off of their 10-12 gates. They have mechanics at the airport all night that can ride brakes, they have their own push back tractors and towbars (non-Menzies or whatever they’re called now). Heck, I’m sure some mechanics are even certified to start the engines and drive the airplane under its own power.

Someone at that operation there needs to use some brain cells. “Hey, why is that A320 sitting over there with it’s anti-collision lights on? It’s been there for a while!”

Originally Posted by missamo80 (Post 31385000)
The E175s are at the T2 jetways often. At a minimum, every PAE flight uses the T2 gates.

I haven’t see one there, but I’m not in SFO a whole lot these days. Thanks for the info!

RetiredSFOATC Aug 8, 2019 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 31395202)

There is. My guess (and this is only a guess), is whomever did the gate plan for that day or week had the delayed aircraft assigned to a gate. When it was clear they would be late, they decided to use the open gate for another arrival. At that point, nobody in SFO ops realized that the airplanes were in the wrong spot.

I’d be willing to give AS some time here to move airplanes, however, it’s inexcusable they couldn’t move an airplane off of their 10-12 gates. They have mechanics at the airport all night that can ride brakes, they have their own push back tractors and towbars (non-Menzies or whatever they’re called now). Heck, I’m sure some mechanics are even certified to start the engines and drive the airplane under its own power.

Someone at that operation there needs to use some brain cells. “Hey, why is that A320 sitting over there with it’s anti-collision lights on? It’s been there for a while!”

I haven’t see one there, but I’m not in SFO a whole lot these days. Thanks for the info!

First of all, yes those hardstand/remote/bus gates at SFO only seem to be used for the E175s, and only for a few flights a day during the rushes. Unfortunately for me, I seem to get stuck at those gates more than my share, but that's fodder for another thread. To the meat of the post though - yes, airline ops have the unenviable job of stuffing too many airplanes into not enough gates, and as the day progresses (delays of all sorts, etc.) the plan goes right down the drain. So I get that it's a challenge. But this should still never happen.

Secondly, you're right, they know this aircraft is coming for a long time, and that it needs a place to park - somebody just forgot, I suspect. Thirdly, yes, there should be plenty of mechanics around who could move a plane, but someone has to tell them to do it. Nobody is just going to hook up a towbar and push an aircraft out of a gate.

And lastly, one piece of this puzzle that's missing, is what was the radio conversation between the cockpit crew and AS ops? They had to be in touch, if not directly via radio, then via ACARS (to ops in SEA), or (gasp) a cellphone. And the tower certainly could have relayed messages to ops, as a last resort. So - there is more to this than we will know, and perhaps ever find out.

rustykettel Aug 8, 2019 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by KevinSFO (Post 31394447)
They offered $300 useable for one reservation in the next year. It will likely go unused.

If that's the case, I'd contact customer service to request miles if those would be useable for you. I was offered ~10K for a similar sized discount code.