Emirates award ticket downgraded

Old Aug 4, 19, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, National Executive
Emirates award ticket downgraded

Several months ago I booked a ticket to India on Emirates (DEL in business, returning from MAA in first). A few weeks back I got an email from Emirates about a change to my itinerary and noticed that my MAA-DXB flight is now in business. I called AS and they looked into it. I was advised that the MAA-DXB flight had a change in aircraft due to the 737 Max issue, and that I'd be upgraded to first if the 737 Max is back in service on the date of my flight (1/28/20). The substituted aircraft does have a first class section, but just fewer seats.

I used a lot of extra miles to go first instead of business, so asked if it was possible just to downgrade the whole itinerary (including the DXB-SEA flight) and get the balance of miles back. Initially I was told yes, but then was told that there were no business class seats available on this flight and so this was not possible.

As I have MVP Gold status, I can simply cancel this reservation without penalty. I'm really not sure what to do. Luckily I have time to decide. I thought I'd see if this has happened to anyone else and if you all have any advice.
Old Aug 4, 19, 1:30 pm

Programs: QF WP
Ok a few questions
emirates doesnít operate the max, never has- so iím guessing that segment was booked on FlyDubai (FZ)? Except their maxes never had an F cabin either (Y/C). I see the largest max had 4 more seats in C than the 738- could it be you have been downgraded to Y? Or (for some reason) switched from emirates F to FZ C?

eta
did a dummy booking and Emirates showing EK545/7 both showing availability in F on 28th january 2020. Both showing F4/A4 availability

curiouser and curiouser

Last edited by nancypants; Aug 4, 19 at 1:36 pm
Old Aug 4, 19, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you ask for some miles as a customer service gesture? It's a long shot, however, as the inconvenience is caused by a partner airline. Perhaps AS can convince the operating carrier to open business class space for you so that you have business class on every segment for business class miles.

I wouldn't cancel without first finding something (better) as an award ticket for the return. BTW, can you cancel just the return without needing new award space to be available for the outbound?

In the meantime, you could keep checking for business class award space to open.
Old Aug 4, 19, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Interesting info!

No--I was not booked on FlyDubai. No--I was not downgraded to Y. The email I got from Emirates just shows that I was in First in my original itinerary and Business in my new itinerary. Maybe I should call Emirates directly instead of AS? I'm headed out the door now, but will keep you posted.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 1:37 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by laktonen View Post
Interesting info!

No--I was not booked on FlyDubai. No--I was not downgraded to Y. The email I got from Emirates just shows that I was in First in my original itinerary and Business in my new itinerary. Maybe I should call Emirates directly instead of AS? I'm headed out the door now, but will keep you posted.
sounds like there may be something lost in translation between airlines here
Old Aug 4, 19, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

I just got off the phone with Emirates. They confirmed that my original EK 543 on 1/28/20 was a Max 8, and it is currently a 777 which has no F class at all. Emirates said that switching to EK 547 could be an option, but then I'd have a long layover in DBX (12:45 am-9:55 am). The F lounge is available 24/7...which might be fun!
Old Aug 4, 19, 3:35 pm

I just got off the phone with Emirates. They confirmed that my original EK 543 on 1/28/20 was a Max 8, and it is currently a 777 which has no F class at all. Emirates said that switching to EK 547 could be an option, but then I'd have a long layover in DBX (12:45 am-9:55 am). The F lounge is available 24/7...which might be fun!
I think the agent youíre dealing with is misinformed or their system is incorrect. Emirates doesnít fly any narrowbody aircraft. Their fleet is exclusively A380 and 777. Itís possible your three-class 777 was downgraded to a two-class 777. But thereís no way your flight could have been on an Emirates 737 because they donít exist. And even if it was through Flydubai, I donít think AS has access to that availability.
Old Aug 4, 19, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that OP has an option here to fly in F. Grab a room or hang out in the lounge or stick with what he's got.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 4:14 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
The F lounge in DXB is definitely nice and with private sleeping rooms and showers not a bad way to spend an overnight. However, I wouldn't get too excited about F DXB-SEA (non-stop) that is on the 777. For the best F experience the A380 with showers and a lounge in the sky is the way to go on an ultra-longhaul flight.

I also wouldn't be too excited about the 777-300ER in J. The 2-3-2 angled lie-flat aren't perfect either. The refurbished 777-200LR J cabins in a 2-2-2 lie-flat configuration are considerably better albeit the window seats don't have direct Isle access.

Since you have a change/cancel fee waiver, I would monitor DXB-LAX/SFO for F and then add the domestic LAX/SFO-SEA but I wouldn't cancel right now.

James
laktonen and akr1970akr like this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire Amb, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Merlinrnr View Post

I think the agent youíre dealing with is misinformed or their system is incorrect. Emirates doesnít fly any narrowbody aircraft. Their fleet is exclusively A380 and 777. Itís possible your three-class 777 was downgraded to a two-class 777. But thereís no way your flight could have been on an Emirates 737 because they donít exist. And even if it was through Flydubai, I donít think AS has access to that availability.
Very bizarre that an Emirates agent would confirm that an EK flight was on a MAX, as that would've been FlyDubai, as previously noted. Even though the new business class on FZ's MAX looks amazing and is fully flat, it doesn't fly to MAA on that day, and it doesn't fly at all right now for obvious reasons. With almost a 10-hour layover, I'd book the earlier flight in F and ask the agent about Dubai Connect and documenting that service in your pnr.

DC=If the shortest connection available exceeds 6hrs in F, EK provides a free hotel, visa (if needed), meals and hotel transfers. I'd do that for 6 or 7 hours and then spend 3 or 4 in the lounge, but that may be a personal preference thing. Some folks would prefer not to leave the airport, but for that length of time, I would.
Old Aug 4, 19, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Several months ago I booked a ticket to India on Emirates (DEL in business, returning from MAA in first). A few weeks back I got an email from Emirates about a change to my itinerary and noticed that my MAA-DXB flight is now in business. I called AS and they looked into it. I was advised that the MAA-DXB flight had a change in aircraft due to the 737 Max issue, and that I'd be upgraded to first if the 737 Max is back in service on the date of my flight (1/28/20). The substituted aircraft does have a first class section, but just fewer seats.

I used a lot of extra miles to go first instead of business, so asked if it was possible just to downgrade the whole itinerary (including the DXB-SEA flight) and get the balance of miles back. Initially I was told yes, but then was told that there were no business class seats available on this flight and so this was not possible.

As I have MVP Gold status, I can simply cancel this reservation without penalty. I'm really not sure what to do. Luckily I have time to decide. I thought I'd see if this has happened to anyone else and if you all have any advice.
You were definitely on FlyDubai since Emirates doesnít have any 737s, of any flavor.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by cslovacek View Post
You were definitely on FlyDubai since Emirates doesnít have any 737s, of any flavor.
This appears to be an award ticket as OP speaks of the MVP Gold fee waiver, AS doesn't book on FlyDubai.
My guess it went from 3 class to 2 class 777. It can't be due to flydubai's 737-max as no way 3 class 777 would be subbed in for that.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 8:11 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
This appears to be an award ticket as OP speaks of the MVP Gold fee waiver, AS doesn't book on FlyDubai.
My guess it went from 3 class to 2 class 777. It can't be due to flydubai's 737-max as no way 3 class 777 would be subbed in for that.
I would agree, however the OP said that he could fly in F on EK547 giving him a long layover in DXB.

All too puzzling!

James
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 4, 19, 8:34 pm

Is it possible that the 777 with F is called MAX without reference to the 737MAX?
Old Aug 4, 19, 8:53 pm

Programs: AS and if I can't avoid it, UA. IHG Spire Amb, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
I would agree, however the OP said that he could fly in F on EK547 giving him a long layover in DXB.

All too puzzling!

James
Not really, he was on 543 in F, it's now a 2 class without it, so they offered him 547 (3-class) with the longer connection.

Originally Posted by sillypainter View Post
Is it possible that the 777 with F is called MAX without reference to the 737MAX?
No.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: