Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frustrating Misconnect at SEA (8/3/2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

SEA-ANC isn't like SEA-BOI, there are regular flights to ANC available at all hours, if you miss your flight you will be rolled to the next one.
ok, I just checked and surprised to see flights SEA -ANC 1 and 2 hours later. Neither are full. I don't know why they put me on such a tight connection but now I feel much better.
Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by lpuntase
ok, I just checked and surprised to see flights SEA -ANC 1 and 2 hours later. Neither are full. I don't know why they put me on such a tight connection but now I feel much better.
Thanks!
Did you explicitly accept the new itinerary? If not, call up AS and ask for the later flight if you feel nervous.
jinglish and lpuntase like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Thanks!
Who is "they?" Presuming you booked the short connection at the time.

Given the schedule change, AS will likely rebook you onto the later flight. I would do that sooner rather than later. Just because there may be availability today doesn't mean it will be there tomorrow.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by rustykettel
GAs are scored and pressured by AS' metrics which aren't necessarily using the same numbers.
Sorry. I thought I was clear, but the metrics I was referring to were the internal AS/QX metrics, not the DOT ones. It's the same reason why they routinely refuse to list/clear standbys under 15 minutes before departure, including company pilots. Heck, some new GAs won't deal with standbys under 20 minutes because "there's not enough time to clear you and close the flight!"
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:20 pm
Suspended

It all depends on where one sits. Delaying flights is a poor idea. It leads to lengthier delays, particularly at larger airports, and that leads to crew time outs and other passengers missing meetings.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Your seat was probably filled by another displaced passenger from a mess earlier, and even if they opened the door, the seat was gone. That's my guess.
I hadn't thought of this... I'll bet a heaping helping of polenta that this what really happened.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
Sorry for the terrible experience. SeaTac traffic is horrendous this summer. Every time I have a close call I call the Gold line to make sure they are aware the situation and give them an estimated time. Not sure if it helped or not but I had a few times that I was the last passenger to board and the door was shut right after.
I've done the same thing, asking them to please not close the gate early. That usually works, esp in F and if you have a little status.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Often1
It all depends on where one sits. Delaying flights is a poor idea. It leads to lengthier delays, particularly at larger airports, and that leads to crew time outs and other passengers missing meetings.
UA, for one, disagrees with your broad statement. As mentioned earlier, they are instituting a new program to be smarter (and more customer friendly) about this.

There are certainly flights where a delay for a single - or even multiple - misconnecting passenger is the wrong choice. In this case, last flight of the day, crew and plane presumably staying overnight in BOI, flight departing ahead of schedule and arriving 17 mins early... and likely no other passenger missing a meeting at midnight ... it seems this would have perhaps been a candidate for delaying the departure by a few minutes (and perhaps still get there on time).

CMK10, jjmadison, NoLaGent and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

UA, for one, disagrees with your broad statement. As mentioned earlier, they are instituting a new program to be smarter (and more customer friendly) about this.

There are certainly flights where a delay for a single - or even multiple - misconnecting passenger is the wrong choice. In this case, last flight of the day, crew and plane presumably staying overnight in BOI, flight departing ahead of schedule and arriving 17 mins early... and likely no other passenger missing a meeting at midnight ... it seems this would have perhaps been a candidate for delaying the departure by a few minutes (and perhaps still get there on time).

UA's program is much ado about nothing. They claim to have 150k connecting passengers a day and accommodated 14k over 4 months. A few people I'm sure were saved a big delay, but hardly Earth shattering. What does that amount to? Less than .001% of connection passengers? It's such a non event that I got 7 pages into the United forum looking for a part about i and got bored.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by notquiteaff

UA marketing people love people like you.

The "program" is nothing more than carriers have done for years.
AS Flyer and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:37 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by williwaw
Ugh. Sorry. Those bus gates are awful.
Those endless ramps are really hell if you have any knee issues; I didn't see an obvious elevator option (hopefully I was just tired and missed it).
Old Aug 7, 2019, 12:37 am

Did AS not pick up the tab for your SEA hotel overnight because this was an ATC delay? I’d be pretty furious about that given the rest of your story. Seems that’s the least they could do...
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA MM /Gold ; AS MVP Gold; SWA A LIst and CP; HH Gold; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Plat Elite
ok, you guys have me freaking out. In 2 weeks, I fly JFK - SEA (AS 349) with 1 hour layover then SEA - ANC (AS 57). I had a longer layover and AS changed the flight schedules a few months ago. Any way for me to know which gates I will arrive and depart from? This trip has been in the works for a year. If I miss the second leg, friends who are meeting me in ANC will be stuck without a car, hotel, etc.
Thanks.
I use Flightaware (app on ipad/iphone and website). It shows a flight's history of arrival times and gates. Obviously past historical data is no guarantee however when anticipating a tight connection I like to cross check the arriving gate (and next departing gate) information with Tripit/Tripcase/Awardwallet app alerts / texts and Flightboard app gate info as soon as my plane touches down while taxi-ing. Having info ahead of time is key and can save you a precious minute (or five depending on how long your stride is).

Having multiple apps tell me the same gate info gives me peace of mind.... still no guarantee though!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
In general, the smaller your plane, the more likely for delay or bus gates. The Q400s, esp. the Portland shuttle are most frequently cancelled due to low ceilings / ATC - fewer passengers impacted and with Portland, almost always another flight later. The E175s also get the short end of the stick in ATC delay to Alaska scheduling decisions. I also found that later at night the gates are typically already filled with planes staged for the morning flights so the late inbound flights go to the ramp by the cargo area and you get bussed in.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Sorry. I thought I was clear, but the metrics I was referring to were the internal AS/QX metrics, not the DOT ones. It's the same reason why they routinely refuse to list/clear standbys under 15 minutes before departure, including company pilots. Heck, some new GAs won't deal with standbys under 20 minutes because "there's not enough time to clear you and close the flight!"
Good grief! It should not take 20 minutes to close a flight...

This is an example from AA. I was running late and got to the gate 8 minutes before departure (fully expecting to wait until the next flight). The flight was fully boarded and closed, but the GA upgraded me to F, grabbed an extra F meal, and re-opened/re-closed the flight. We still left 4 minutes early. But that was about 10 years back...certainly wouldn't expect it today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.