FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Upgrade Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1981329-upgrade-question.html)

bmw303 Aug 2, 2019 2:11 pm

Upgrade Question

What is the best way to ticket this?

5 passengers, two MVP Gold 75 members and two are MVP. One has no status. Total of three gold guest upgrades remaining. Would like to travel as a party of 5 one way to AK.

We have a total of two companion tickets (one belonging to an MVP Gold, one belonging to an MVP) through the credit card. What is the best way to ticket this to ensure the best chances for the maximum # of upgrades?

DrAlex Aug 2, 2019 2:25 pm

Approximately when is the trip?

Mwenenzi Aug 2, 2019 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by bmw303 (Post 31372089)
What is the best way to ticket this?

5 passengers, two MVP Gold 75 members and two are MVP. One has no status. Total of three gold guest upgrades remaining. Would like to travel as a party of 5 one way to AK.

We have a total of two companion tickets (one belonging to an MVP Gold, one belonging to an MVP) through the credit card. What is the best way to ticket this to ensure the best chances for the maximum # of upgrades?

From where to where?
When?
AS flights?
Getting 5 upgrades on the same flight is being optimistic.
Having 5 people on the same PNR may make it harder.

bmw303 Aug 2, 2019 2:35 pm

Yup all AS flights.
NYC to Alaska (maybe Anchorage or JNU).
2 MVP Gold 75K members, 2 MVP, 1 non-status. 3 GGUs.
Very flexible as to dates. The flights/upgrades are sort of guiding the timing.
Doesn't have to be 5 people on the same PNR. But I really have no idea what is the best way to do it.

but looking more for general advice as to how to structure this vs date-specific. Thanks!

bmw303 Aug 2, 2019 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by DrAlex (Post 31372140)
Approximately when is the trip?

very flexible. could be may/june/july

Flying for Fun Aug 2, 2019 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31372164)
From where to where?
When?
AS flights?
Getting 5 upgrades on the same flight is being optimistic.
Having 5 people on the same PNR may make it harder.

He has two companion certificates. It will require 3 PNRs. I would do 75K + MVP on one, 75K + non status on the other and use a GGU for the other MVP Elite if you can find at least one U. All checked baggage is covered. If you can find 2U then use two GGUs to upgrade the 75K + non Elite. Better chance for additional upgrades even if you split the 75K + MVP. The single PNR MVP still has upgrade potential albeit unlikely to happen and the MVP can upgrade to Premium where a non Elite can't.

James

rustykettel Aug 2, 2019 2:47 pm

Book three different reservations and use flights with at least 2 U seats. 75K w/ MVP on companion fare booked into H (instant upgrade), 75k w/ no status on companion fare booked into H (instant upgrade), and MVP booked into K (using GGU for upgrades).

Tricky part is finding the U space.

ETA: I assumed this is round trip so you'll need to use one in each direction for the single MVP. Since this is one way, book one of the companion tickets into K and use GGUs for that one as well.

bmw303 Aug 2, 2019 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31372208)
He has two companion certificates. It will require 3 PNRs. I would do 75K + MVP on one, 75K + non status on the other and use a GGU for the other MVP Elite if you can find at least one U. All checked baggage is covered. If you can find 2U then use two GGUs to upgrade the 75K + non Elite. Better chance for additional upgrades even if you split the 75K + MVP. The single PNR MVP still has upgrade potential albeit unlikely to happen and the MVP can upgrade to Premium where a non Elite can't.

James

Thank you! This makes a lot of sense to me.

bmw303 Aug 2, 2019 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 31372234)
Book three different reservations and use flights with at least 2 U seats. 75K w/ MVP on companion fare booked into H (instant upgrade), 75k w/ no status on companion fare booked into H (instant upgrade), and MVP booked into K (using GGU for upgrades).

Tricky part is finding the U space.

ETA: I assumed this is round trip so you'll need to use one in each direction for the single MVP. Since this is one way, book one of the companion tickets into K and use GGUs for that one as well.

Thank you! This is actually round trip. Thanks!

milypan Aug 2, 2019 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31372208)

That's probably what I'd do too. But technically if your only concern were number of F upgrades that clear, one might also consider 75K, 75K + non status, and MVP + MVP, the point being that if the F cabin is pretty full by T-120, it's significantly easier for the 75K to get one upgrade than two (and you can't split companion fares for upgrades). I'd still go with your suggestion, however, because it nearly guarantees that, in the worst scenario, everyone at least sits in Premium (particularly if you choose A, C, D, and F in one row at booking).

Flying for Fun Aug 2, 2019 3:07 pm

Also keep in mind that if you are connecting enroute and the connection(s) is/are 4 hours or less the GGUs will upgrade all segments on the Itinerary providing that each segment has U availability.

James

Flying for Fun Aug 2, 2019 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by milypan (Post 31372295)
That's probably what I'd do too. But technically if your only concern were number of F upgrades that clear, one might also consider 75K, 75K + non status, and MVP + MVP, the point being that if the F cabin is pretty full by T-120, it's significantly easier for the 75K to get one upgrade than two (and you can't split companion fares for upgrades). I'd still go with your suggestion, however, because it nearly guarantees that, in the worst scenario, everyone at least sits in Premium (particularly if you choose A, C, D, and F in one row at booking).

Good points, however an MVP with an MVP aren't eligible for upgrades on the same PNR (only MVPG+ can upgrade a companion) but would be on their own. That probably isn't too much of a concern if the cabin is close to full. I had a gate agent that was happy to split a PNR for a single upgrade on an LAX-SJO flight when we were traveling on a companion certificate.

rustykettel Aug 2, 2019 3:17 pm

Given the OP's flexibility with dates, I would try to lock up the upgrade now rather than chancing the complimentary upgrades close to departure. Using companion fares the difference between lowest main cabin and instant upgrade (H for 75K) is roughly half.

milypan Aug 2, 2019 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31372336)
Good points, however an MVP with an MVP aren't eligible for upgrades on the same PNR (only MVPG+ can upgrade a companion) but would be on their own.

Is that true? I typically book my daughter and wife, both MVP, on the same PNR when traveling as a family, and I feel like they've cleared into F before. I'm virtually certain they've made it to the upgrade list, even if they didn't end up clearing. But I don't have records.

I've only encountered the opposite problem: a PNR with 75K + no status (my son) seems not to be eligible for upgrades once check-in opens (i.e. we don't even appear on the list) — I need U2 earlier for it to happen.

Flying for Fun Aug 2, 2019 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by milypan (Post 31372357)
Is that true? I typically book my daughter and wife, both MVP, on the same PNR when traveling as a family, and I feel like they've cleared into F before. I'm virtually certain they've made it to the upgrade list, even if they didn't end up clearing. But I don't have records.

There have been reports of MVP + MPV or MVP + non Elite on a single PNR showing waitlisted for F. I have experience with an MVP & non Elite on a companion certificate being waitlisted, the MVP did show on the upgrade list while the non Elite companion did not. Neither were upgraded. I did see one report of a MVP + MVP both being upgraded to F. It isn't policy but more likely a gate agent making sure Elites were upgraded before selling upgrades or departing with empty F seats.

Originally Posted by milypan (Post 31372357)
I've only encountered the opposite problem: a PNR with 75K + no status (my son) seems not to be eligible for upgrades once check-in opens (i.e. we don't even appear on the list) — I need U2 earlier for it to happen.

In my particular case, we were 2 75K's on a companion certificate, both on the upgrade list as #1 & #2. 4 total on the upgrade list. The agent confirmed for me that #3 was MVPG and #4 was MVP. She was more than happy to split the PNR and offer 1 F to one of us rather than skip us in favour of #3. I think it depends a lot on the agent and the waitlist compisition is a factor. A split of a PNR on a companion certificate is definitely possible.

On the other end of the scale, I had a gate agent in SFO say he would split our PNR on an F award from Asia to accommodate us. He initiated it before my request. Again #1 & #2 on the waitlist yet when we returned to the gate the lasst F seat upgrade had been "sold" to a non Elite passenger.

I always like to initiate a conversation as early as possibe with the gate agent to get a feel of how upgrades may be processed especially if I am high up on the list.

For you and your non Elite son, you are both eligible for upgrades on the strength of your status if on a companion certificate or not. Sometimes the Elite will show up on the waitlist and the non Elite will not. Both should show waitlisted for First Class on the confirmation email. If only you are on the waitlist or neither of you are, I would be calling AS to look into it and again confirm with the gate agent to see where you stand. The only difference (other than the requirements for the companion to travel with the primary traveler) between a regular PNR with a companion and a PNR with a companion using a companion certificate is that the revenue price for the companion is discounted to $99. All the elite benefits of the primary traveler, including upgrading a companion, remain intact. Splitting a PNR is more of a courtesy than a policy.

James