Upgrade Question

Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Routing and aircraft will also come into play: 737-900s having 16F will be your best bet. The seat maps may only show 12F this far out (even though it says 737-900). Not only SEA, but PDX and LAX are possible stops. You might have a better time with upgrades on the NYC to LAX routes (although those may be Airbii...), but there are only 2 flights a day to ANC from LAX (and none to JNU). But, those might have a good upgrade chance. SEA-ANC runs almost every hour in the summer, so U space is somewhat available on volume alone. But, NYC-SEA might be tougher to find U. We are way out from the date of travel, so U space might trickle in with time. Good luck!

ETA: Prices this far out are also likely to be higher than they might be 60-180 days out. But if there is U space available, I'd grab it for the single MVP first using a GGU.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by DrAlex; Aug 2, 2019 at 8:39 pm
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrAlex
Routing and aircraft will also come into play: 737-900s having 16F will be your best bet. The seat maps may only show 12F this far out (even though it says 737-900). Not only SEA, but PDX and LAX are possible stops. You might have a better time with upgrades on the NYC to LAX routes (although those may be Airbii...), but there are only 2 flights a day to ANC from LAX (and none to JNU). But, those might have a good upgrade chance. SEA-ANC runs almost every hour in the summer, so U space is somewhat available on volume alone. But, NYC-SEA might be tougher to find U. We are way out from the date of travel, so U space might trickle in with time. Good luck!

ETA: Prices this far out are also likely to be higher than they might be 60-180 days out. But if there is U space available, I'd grab it for the single MVP first using a GGU.

Thank you! and thank you all for your responses - this is why FT is great! Thanks.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Can confirm that reservation with two MVPs on same PNR (and nobody else) successfully cleared into F. SJC-OGG on a Sunday morning. Upgrades didn’t happen simultaneously though — initially there was just one F seat left (though oddly EF still reported F2), so only one got upgraded. But later there were a couple no-shows or something, and the second pax got upgraded. Went out with one F seat unoccupied, and children outnumbered adults in the F cabin.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I have a similar situation: family of 4 with two 75k adults and two no-status children. Normally I prefer to put everyone on a single PNR but I gather that would zero out our upgrade chances (there are currently no instant upgrades available though the F cabin seating chart is wide open).

So I gather from below the optimal solution is 2 PNRs with adult+child on each rez.

Is it likely inventory will open to use a GGU cert? Or is that just not happening anymore and we have to wait until the 75k window opens (or worse until T-24 checkin). This is a holiday season trip about 3 months out.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
He has two companion certificates. It will require 3 PNRs. I would do 75K + MVP on one, 75K + non status on the other and use a GGU for the other MVP Elite if you can find at least one U. All checked baggage is covered. If you can find 2U then use two GGUs to upgrade the 75K + non Elite. Better chance for additional upgrades even if you split the 75K + MVP. The single PNR MVP still has upgrade potential albeit unlikely to happen and the MVP can upgrade to Premium where a non Elite can't.
Most useful answer with practical advice - thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:11 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I have a similar situation: family of 4 with two 75k adults and two no-status children. Normally I prefer to put everyone on a single PNR but I gather that would zero out our upgrade chances (there are currently no instant upgrades available though the F cabin seating chart is wide open).

So I gather from below the optimal solution is 2 PNRs with adult+child on each rez.

Is it likely inventory will open to use a GGU cert? Or is that just not happening anymore and we have to wait until the 75k window opens (or worse until T-24 checkin). This is a holiday season trip about 3 months out.

Most useful answer with practical advice - thanks!
Not sure that you intended to reply into the 2 year old thread, but if you want help locating GGU space feel free to DM me!
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by anteater
Not sure that you intended to reply into the 2 year old thread, but if you want help locating GGU space feel free to DM me!
Yes I don't like posting new threads when there is an existing near-identical topic.

I appreciate the offer but I don't think it's possible to locate GGU space when there is only one specific flight on a specific day that meets my requirements!
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:22 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Yes I don't like posting new threads when there is an existing near-identical topic.

I appreciate the offer but I don't think it's possible to locate GGU space when there is only one specific flight on a specific day that meets my requirements!
I can setup an alert on EF if you want to DM me the flight details.
pcoll, Boraxo and mildfrequence like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.