Seat no longer available

Old Aug 1, 19, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold
Seat no longer available

I'm MVP Gold and did a SDC yesterday for today's flight and am now seated in 29E. Normally when I do this and am assigned a middle seat the day before, I can check in again later and get an aisle or window seat. Today, EVERY time I see a seat come free, I get an error message that "seat is no longer available." This is the case even when I try and move to a different middle seat. Are people really monitoring the seat map every minute and grabbing the seats, or is something else happening? I've been looking at it about every 15 minutes today, for an 8 pm flight, and have seen a few windows and aisles that I couldn't book.

As an aside, I don't show up on the upgrade list either. I didn't bother to call since the upgrade list is really long, and I stand zero chance of upgrade without being 75K.

Last edited by sjbsf; Aug 1, 19 at 4:23 pm Reason: additional info
Old Aug 1, 19, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Call. Could you have been rebooked into a fare class that doesn't allow seat selection or upgrades when you did the SDC? This is bizarre, but it seems to have the features of basic economy on some carriers.
Old Aug 1, 19, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

That should't be the problem. I always book main cabin, not saver.
Old Aug 1, 19, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sjbsf View Post
That should't be the problem. I always book main cabin, not saver.
However an agent or a glitch could have rebooked you into a cheaper available fare class.
Old Aug 1, 19, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
However an agent or a glitch could have rebooked you into a cheaper available fare class.
Especially since they put you in 29. Worth a call.
Old Aug 1, 19, 5:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
This has happened to me before. It's one of many bugs with the SDC system. Call in or text (820-08) and they will be able to override the error.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 1, 19, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Of course, calling in was the right suggestion. The agent originally couldn't change my seat and couldn't figure out how to override it and told me to go to the airport early. However, during the call I saw my flight was delayed, asked the agent to put me on the later flight (which was now earlier), then saw that second flight was delayed, and she put me back on the original flight. That cleared whatever glitch was with my ticket and I'm in 17D.
be_rettSEA and pcoll like this.

Search this Thread