Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Comments, Complaints and Observations About Airbus A319/20/21N Seating (Old and New)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comments, Complaints and Observations About Airbus A319/20/21N Seating (Old and New)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG75k

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
i just got upgraded to F on an Airbus with 12 F seats....which is the new config. Looking forward to trying out!
make sure to avoid the bulkhead if you're over 5'10''. Row 1 now has the least legroom of any row on the plane, even less than any row in coach (row 6 bulkhead wall was removed and replaced with a curtain).
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
They're definitely more comfortable than the Boeing F seats, and the cupholders are a nice addition, but the new configuration is so bland in my opinion. Will miss the (well maintained, at least) big white recliners. Enjoy!
yeah i've heard the same regarding the seat comfort. I hope that's really the case. Those Boeing F seats were terrible. I always ended up with a sore back after flying them.

Originally Posted by jjmadison
make sure to avoid the bulkhead if you're over 5'10''. Row 1 now has the least legroom of any row on the plane, even less than any row in coach (row 6 bulkhead wall was removed and replaced with a curtain).
i choose 1A. I always prefer to bulkhead seats since I can have a window seat and access the aisle without interrupting the person next to me. I'm only 5'7" so I think I'll be fine. I flew F on a DL 737 last month and sat in the bulkhead row and thought the space was fine. I doubt the pitch is worse than DL.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
i choose 1A. I always prefer to bulkhead seats since I can have a window seat and access the aisle without interrupting the person next to me. I'm only 5'7" so I think I'll be fine. I flew F on a DL 737 last month and sat in the bulkhead row and thought the space was fine. I doubt the pitch is worse than DL.
I'll be interested to know what you think of the pitch in 1A, being 5'7". Unless the person next to you is very tiny, you won't be able to get by without them getting up. It's so tight, they had to move the emergency evac pamphlets to the wall (making them out of reach, which seems against FAA regs, but I digress).

I flew in 1C last month, on a refurb A321, after a plane swap. Being 6' myself, it is quite uncomfortable on a 5 hour transcon.

Here's a photo of row 1 pitch.

Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
I'll be interested to know what you think of the pitch in 1A, being 5'7". I flew in 1C last month, on a refurb A321, after a plane swap. Being 6' myself, it is quite uncomfortable on a 5 hour transcon.
I'm 5'6 and flew in a reconfigured Airbus in 1C (but I believe on a 321 so there may be a bit more legroom there?) and while it was definitely a bit tighter than others, I don't remember necessarily feeling uncomfortable or cramped. The first row doesn't have the legrests, either, though.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: MVPG 75K
Just sat down in 1C on a retrofit. I'm not sure if it's just me, but this is the least comfortable seat I've sat in period on a plane. Not just compared to other first seats. The seat itself and armrests are extremely hard with minimal padding. As for comments above about lack of pitch, I absolutely agree. There is hardly any legroom at all, and my feet are jammed into the bulkhead wall. I've quite literally flown hundreds of AS first class flights over the last decade plus and while the VX seats were absolutely dated and many of them unfortunately showing wear with mechanical issues, they were massively better than these. On SEA- IAD redeye, and not expecting much rest over night.

Maybe it's just me, but being a 75k for over a decade now seems to be an experience of constantly diminishing returns. The product seems to be continually being devalued.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tahoeskier
Just sat down in 1C on a retrofit. I'm not sure if it's just me, but this is the least comfortable seat I've sat in period on a plane. Not just compared to other first seats. The seat itself and armrests are extremely hard with minimal padding. As for comments above about lack of pitch, I absolutely agree. There is hardly any legroom at all, and my feet are jammed into the bulkhead wall. I've quite literally flown hundreds of AS first class flights over the last decade plus and while the VX seats were absolutely dated and many of them unfortunately showing wear with mechanical issues, they were massively better than these. On SEA- IAD redeye, and not expecting much rest over night.

Maybe it's just me, but being a 75k for over a decade now seems to be an experience of constantly diminishing returns. The product seems to be continually being devalued.

Definitely not just you--completely agree. I take no pleasure in saying negative things about the AS product, but the F retrofit is shockingly bad in the bulkhead. If you're over 5'10", row 1 is now the most uncomfortable on the airbus retrofit planes. Since AS removed the F/PC wall and significantly shrunk row 1 pitch, Row 6 PC is now much better than row 1 F (yes, I count the space underneath the seat in front of you, since I can stretch my legs out).

With the row 1 seats so far forward, they really should have copied the Q400 layout and left space open in front of row 1. Maybe AS execs are all 5'6" or shorter? Otherwise, I don't see how any of them could be okay with this new arrangement as their "flagship product".

Last edited by jjmadison; Jul 16, 2019 at 11:14 pm
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:54 pm

Definitely not just you--completely agree. I take no pleasure in saying negative things about the AS product, but the F retrofit is shockingly bad in the bulkhead. If you're over 5'10", row 1 is now the most uncomfortable on the airbus retrofit planes. Since AS removed the F/PC wall and significantly shrunk row 1 pitch, Row 6 PC is now much better than row 1 F (yes, I count the space underneath the seat in front of you, since I can stretch my legs out).

With the row 1 seats so far forward, they really should have copied the Q400 layout and left space open in front of row 1. Maybe AS execs are all 5'6" or shorter? Otherwise, I don't see how any of them could be okay with this new arrangement as their "flagship product".
i worry that if we make enough noise about it, they’ll rectify the problem by reducing pitch on rows 2 and 3.

As for the uncomfortable padding, as noted in earlier posts this is typical of new airplane seats. They’re intentionally made to be broken in over time given they have an expected useful life of over 7 years. If they optimized comfort for day 1, they’d wear too early. That’s just the reality of that situation.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I got what looks like a new-cabin A320 SEA-DEN (AS1670) on Sunday. Should I choose row 1 over row 3 in case of a swap back to old config? Does row 1 have legrests? Sorry if this has been answered already. Row 1 and row 3 are both open, aisles and windows available. Row 2 is full.

Edited to add that I chose 3C on the reports above of poor legroom in row 1. Guess I will take my chances on an aircraft swap!

Last edited by Kurt; Jul 25, 2019 at 5:07 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kurt
I got what looks like a new-cabin A320 SEA-DEN (AS1670) on Sunday. Should I choose row 1 over row 3 in case of a swap back to old config? Does row 1 have legrests? Sorry if this has been answered already. Row 1 and row 3 are both open, aisles and windows available. Row 2 is full.

Edited to add that I chose 3D on the reports above of poor legroom in row 1. Guess I will take my chances on an aircraft swap!
Personally, I would never select row 3 on an Airbus until more planes are reconfigured. Right now it appears 10/53 A320s are reconfigured. Interestingly, I have a 3 row A320 showing on a mid-August trip, but I definitely don’t feel confident picking a row 3 seat just yet! On my last trip, they swapped from a old config to new config plane within 6 hours of departure.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Kurt

Edited to add that I chose 3C on the reports above of poor legroom in row 1. Guess I will take my chances on an aircraft swap!

I had a similar flight recently, chose row 3 without issue and noticed row three had foot rests but they dropped down from row two seat backs (I think). So I am not sure row 1 would have them. Since I am tall, the foot rests are useless unless they scooted way under the seat in front of me
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter
I had a similar flight recently, chose row 3 without issue and noticed row three had foot rests but they dropped down from row two seat backs (I think). So I am not sure row 1 would have them. Since I am tall, the foot rests are useless unless they scooted way under the seat in front of me
no footrests in row 1. It is probably fairly safe to select row 3 within 24 hours of departure, and row 1 would definitely be my last choice in that case. Sad because row 1 on the original Airbus was great.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moved some comments from the Reconfiguration thread.

dayone, AS Moderator
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List

I typically prefer row 1, and I've flown several times on retrofitted Airbuses. Bulkhead legroom on the retrofits is inconsistent, but 5'10" is not a low enough bar to ensure comfort. Some aircraft are cramped but tolerable. Others are so bad that there is obviously some sort of uncorrected error going on (even worse than the bulkhead on Delta's 739s, which is saying something). I'm all of 5'7" on a good day, and I flew in a fresh retrofit back in May that was so cramped, I was in pain the whole flight, with my toes jammed against the wall at a weird angle. The man next to me in 1C was at most 6'1" and his knees touched the bulkhead. He had a mini panic attack and begged the FA to rescind his upgrade, without success. He ended up sitting through the whole flight with his legs stuck into the aisle, and he really was not all that tall. I got on my app right then and there and immediately moved to row 2 on all my upcoming Airbus flights.

Also, the new seat belt airbag in the bulkhead is preposterously large. If the old ones were baguettes, these new ones are full-size ciabatta loaves. I think an overweight person would find it insufferable to have that pressing up on their belly.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I'd be interested to know just what the difference in row 1 is between the 321 and the 319/320 versions - the pic upthread of the 321 doesn't look as bad as the description directly above this post. At 6'2", I hope to never find out in person. I have Row 2 for my next 6 trips, although currently they're all either old config Airbus or Boeing, but the odds of swaps are increasing.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by TravelBrighter
Also, the new seat belt airbag in the bulkhead is preposterously large. If the old ones were baguettes, these new ones are full-size ciabatta loaves. I think an overweight person would find it insufferable to have that pressing up on their belly.
They are really huge. And not limited to Row 1. Reconfigured Airbus seem to have them in at least Row 6, if not the first few rows of Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.