Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Anyone else had issues getting the partner award fee refunded when cancelling?

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 28, 19, 10:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: safari ari
Wiki Link
Per Alaska Airlines, awards with partner segments incur a $12.50 non-refundable fee one-way. It has been reported that when you cancel an award ticket within 24 hours you receive the taxes+fees less the $12.50 partner award fee.
It has been confirmed by various Alaska Airlines sources that the fee is refundable within 24 hours, with the rest of the refundable taxes+fees, but you need to contact Alaska Airlines customer care to manually request the refund after you have cancelled the award. Reports are listed below from users.

PDXPremier(7/24/19): UPDATE: I just confirmed with Alaska via Twitter....yes, the fees ARE refundable if cancelled within the first 24 hours of booking. See post 4

Channa (10/30/19): Yeah, it's policy to refund this. I've had to HUACA on this recently, and the second agent apologized profusely and read me the rule from the guide...it's very clear, it's to be refunded if you cancel inside the 24. See post 14

Safari ari (12/28/19): Called in today to get an award I cancelled within 24 hours a few days ago refunded, as the partner award fee wasn't on the refund. Had to be connected to customer care, and he first alluded to the fee not being refundable. Quick hold, comes back says it is indeed refundable within the 24 hour period. He said it will never be automatically refunded when cancelled and you have to manually ask for it. See post 18
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 24, 19, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

I was working the other day trying to get some award tickets booked and none of them worked out so I cancelled all of them during the first 24 hours in order to make sure everything was refunded....in the past, this has not been a problem...all the miles (including associated fees) were refunded without a problem. Recently, I noticed the partner award fees did not refund and in-fact posted to my credit card so I called the refunds department and they went ahead and manually processed the refunds with no explanation as to why the partner fees didn't refund as they always have if, and only if, you cancel during the first 24 hours after booking. Anyone else had problems with this?

Last edited by PDXPremier; Jul 24, 19 at 5:16 pm
Old Jul 24, 19, 5:00 pm
Moderator, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, DL Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
I was working the other day trying to get some award tickets booked and none of them worked out so I cancelled all of them during the first 24 hours in order to make sure everything was refunded....in the past, this has not been a problem...all the miles (including associated fees) were refunded without a problem. Recently, I noticed the partner award fees did not refund and in-fact posted to my credit card so I called the refunds department and they went ahead and manually processed the refunds with no explanation as to why the partner fees didn't refund as they always have if, and only if, you cancel during the first 24 hours after booking. Anyone else had problems with this?
Partner booking fees $12.50 one-way, $25.00 return are non-refundable even for those with a fee waiver. AS did you a favour.

​Service fees - you may be also be subject to one or more of the following:
  • $15 nonrefundable call center booking fee for new awards booked over the phone.
  • $25 nonrefundable partner award fee applies to all awards using one of our airline partners.
  • $125 change/cancellation fee applies to all changes/cancellation made more than 24 hours after booking.
James
​​​​​​
Old Jul 24, 19, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
Partner booking fees $12.50 one-way, $25.00 return are non-refundable even for those with a fee waiver. AS did you a favour.

​Service fees - you may be also be subject to one or more of the following:
  • $15 nonrefundable call center booking fee for new awards booked over the phone.
  • $25 nonrefundable partner award fee applies to all awards using one of our airline partners.
  • $125 change/cancellation fee applies to all changes/cancellation made more than 24 hours after booking.
James
​​​​​​
I've had the partner award fees automatically refund multiple times...I know they are non-refundable for everyone after 24 hours, but the AS website clearly states you are entitled to a "full refund" if you cancel within 24 hours with no mention of the partner award fees being the exception.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...r-cancellation
Old Jul 24, 19, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

UPDATE: I just confirmed with Alaska via Twitter....yes, the fees ARE refundable if cancelled within the first 24 hours of booking.
Old Jul 24, 19, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
UPDATE: I just confirmed with Alaska via Twitter....yes, the fees ARE refundable if cancelled within the first 24 hours of booking.
Good to know. I thought about going to DOT after not getting a refund on my last one.
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While it is crystal clear under the DOT rule, the AS policy exceeds the requirements of the DOT rule. In any event, I am not sure how or why anyone would argue that the fee is not refundable in the circumstances posed by OP. OP should simply call or send a note to AS. If need be, do a CC chargeback for the fee, noting that it is required under federal law.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...r-cancellation
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 24, 19, 7:30 pm

I learned something new today. I have booked and canceled awards after 24 hours but never within 24 hours of booking. Isn't $12.50 about the cost of a 1/2 ounch martini in Manhattan? lol

James
Old Jul 24, 19, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
I learned something new today. I have booked and canceled awards after 24 hours but never within 24 hours of booking. Isn't $12.50 about the cost of a 1/2 ounch martini in Manhattan? lol

James
I had a series of award reservations I had to cancel and each had 2 passengers so they show up as $25 each on my credit card statement. Part of the reason I had to cancel was the fact that when I tried to use my "one" free change within 24 hours, I would get the red message saying partner (in this case AA) availability was did not exist for the flights I selected. I ended up with about 7 cancellations so those $25 charges added up quickly.
Old Oct 15, 19, 12:16 am

I had a series of award reservations I had to cancel and each had 2 passengers so they show up as $25 each on my credit card statement. Part of the reason I had to cancel was the fact that when I tried to use my "one" free change within 24 hours, I would get the red message saying partner (in this case AA) availability was did not exist for the flights I selected. I ended up with about 7 cancellations so those $25 charges added up quickly.
Did AS refund you automatically or have to call ask for manual refund? I just got a refund email doesn't show #12.50 fee will be refunded

Thanks!
Old Oct 22, 19, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ecgz88 View Post
Did AS refund you automatically or have to call ask for manual refund? I just got a refund email doesn't show #12.50 fee will be refunded

Thanks!
I had to call every single time....annoying but they did it....makes me wonder how many people don't call and AS just gets a free $12.50 each time....
Old Oct 28, 19, 6:16 pm

I had to call every single time....annoying but they did it....makes me wonder how many people don't call and AS just gets a free $12.50 each time....
Thanks! I just reply back the refund email, and they refund back the $12.50 to me
Old Oct 28, 19, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA CK, AS MVPG75K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, AmEx PLT
They've gotten a few of these fees from me over the years, but I don't know that I've ever cancelled within the first 24 hours, so I always just told myself it was worth the cost of being able to hold partner inventory at times I thought I would need it, with the miles still being fully refundable in the end.
Old Oct 29, 19, 9:26 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Not everyone knows the rule. Be kind, but ask for a supervisor if need be. But yes, refundable within 24 hours.
Old Oct 30, 19, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Yeah, it's policy to refund this. I've had to HUACA on this recently, and the second agent apologized profusely and read me the rule from the guide...it's very clear, it's to be refunded if you cancel inside the 24.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Oct 30, 19, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by channa View Post
Yeah, it's policy to refund this. I've had to HUACA on this recently, and the second agent apologized profusely and read me the rule from the guide...it's very clear, it's to be refunded if you cancel inside the 24.
Is that also applicable if you are within 24 hours of departure?

James

Search this Thread
Search Engine: