FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Issues Getting the Partner Award Fee Refunded When Cancelling (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1979980-issues-getting-partner-award-fee-refunded-when-cancelling.html)

PDXPremier Jul 24, 2019 4:52 pm

Issues Getting the Partner Award Fee Refunded When Cancelling

I was working the other day trying to get some award tickets booked and none of them worked out so I cancelled all of them during the first 24 hours in order to make sure everything was refunded....in the past, this has not been a problem...all the miles (including associated fees) were refunded without a problem. Recently, I noticed the partner award fees did not refund and in-fact posted to my credit card so I called the refunds department and they went ahead and manually processed the refunds with no explanation as to why the partner fees didn't refund as they always have if, and only if, you cancel during the first 24 hours after booking. Anyone else had problems with this?

Flying for Fun Jul 24, 2019 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 31338916)
I was working the other day trying to get some award tickets booked and none of them worked out so I cancelled all of them during the first 24 hours in order to make sure everything was refunded....in the past, this has not been a problem...all the miles (including associated fees) were refunded without a problem. Recently, I noticed the partner award fees did not refund and in-fact posted to my credit card so I called the refunds department and they went ahead and manually processed the refunds with no explanation as to why the partner fees didn't refund as they always have if, and only if, you cancel during the first 24 hours after booking. Anyone else had problems with this?

Partner booking fees $12.50 one-way, $25.00 return are non-refundable even for those with a fee waiver. AS did you a favour.

​Service fees - you may be also be subject to one or more of the following:
  • $15 nonrefundable call center booking fee — for new awards booked over the phone.
  • $25 nonrefundable partner award fee — applies to all awards using one of our airline partners.
  • $125 change/cancellation fee — applies to all changes/cancellation made more than 24 hours after booking.
James
​​​​​​

PDXPremier Jul 24, 2019 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31338935)
Partner booking fees $12.50 one-way, $25.00 return are non-refundable even for those with a fee waiver. AS did you a favour.

​Service fees - you may be also be subject to one or more of the following:
  • $15 nonrefundable call center booking fee — for new awards booked over the phone.
  • $25 nonrefundable partner award fee — applies to all awards using one of our airline partners.
  • $125 change/cancellation fee — applies to all changes/cancellation made more than 24 hours after booking.
James
​​​​​​

I've had the partner award fees automatically refund multiple times...I know they are non-refundable for everyone after 24 hours, but the AS website clearly states you are entitled to a "full refund" if you cancel within 24 hours with no mention of the partner award fees being the exception.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...r-cancellation

PDXPremier Jul 24, 2019 5:17 pm

UPDATE: I just confirmed with Alaska via Twitter....yes, the fees ARE refundable if cancelled within the first 24 hours of booking.

CDKing Jul 24, 2019 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 31338988)
UPDATE: I just confirmed with Alaska via Twitter....yes, the fees ARE refundable if cancelled within the first 24 hours of booking.

Good to know. I thought about going to DOT after not getting a refund on my last one.

Often1 Jul 24, 2019 7:04 pm

While it is crystal clear under the DOT rule, the AS policy exceeds the requirements of the DOT rule. In any event, I am not sure how or why anyone would argue that the fee is not refundable in the circumstances posed by OP. OP should simply call or send a note to AS. If need be, do a CC chargeback for the fee, noting that it is required under federal law.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...r-cancellation

Flying for Fun Jul 24, 2019 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 31338988)

I learned something new today. :) I have booked and canceled awards after 24 hours but never within 24 hours of booking. :) Isn't $12.50 about the cost of a 1/2 ounch martini in Manhattan? ;) lol

James

PDXPremier Jul 24, 2019 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31339289)
I learned something new today. :) I have booked and canceled awards after 24 hours but never within 24 hours of booking. :) Isn't $12.50 about the cost of a 1/2 ounch martini in Manhattan? ;) lol

James

I had a series of award reservations I had to cancel and each had 2 passengers so they show up as $25 each on my credit card statement. Part of the reason I had to cancel was the fact that when I tried to use my "one" free change within 24 hours, I would get the red message saying partner (in this case AA) availability was did not exist for the flights I selected. I ended up with about 7 cancellations so those $25 charges added up quickly.

ecgz88 Oct 15, 2019 12:16 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 31339582)
I had a series of award reservations I had to cancel and each had 2 passengers so they show up as $25 each on my credit card statement. Part of the reason I had to cancel was the fact that when I tried to use my "one" free change within 24 hours, I would get the red message saying partner (in this case AA) availability was did not exist for the flights I selected. I ended up with about 7 cancellations so those $25 charges added up quickly.

Did AS refund you automatically or have to call ask for manual refund? I just got a refund email doesn't show #12.50 fee will be refunded

Thanks!

PDXPremier Oct 22, 2019 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by ecgz88 (Post 31629428)
Did AS refund you automatically or have to call ask for manual refund? I just got a refund email doesn't show #12.50 fee will be refunded

Thanks!

I had to call every single time....annoying but they did it....makes me wonder how many people don't call and AS just gets a free $12.50 each time....

ecgz88 Oct 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 31657341)
I had to call every single time....annoying but they did it....makes me wonder how many people don't call and AS just gets a free $12.50 each time....

Thanks! I just reply back the refund email, and they refund back the $12.50 to me

metallo Oct 28, 2019 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 31657341)

They've gotten a few of these fees from me over the years, but I don't know that I've ever cancelled within the first 24 hours, so I always just told myself it was worth the cost of being able to hold partner inventory at times I thought I would need it, with the miles still being fully refundable in the end.

flyingislove Oct 29, 2019 9:26 pm

Not everyone knows the rule. Be kind, but ask for a supervisor if need be. But yes, refundable within 24 hours.

channa Oct 30, 2019 9:59 pm

Yeah, it's policy to refund this. I've had to HUACA on this recently, and the second agent apologized profusely and read me the rule from the guide...it's very clear, it's to be refunded if you cancel inside the 24.

Flying for Fun Oct 30, 2019 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 31684597)
Yeah, it's policy to refund this. I've had to HUACA on this recently, and the second agent apologized profusely and read me the rule from the guide...it's very clear, it's to be refunded if you cancel inside the 24.

Is that also applicable if you are within 24 hours of departure?

James