Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Issues Getting the Partner Award Fee Refunded When Cancelling

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: safari ari
Per Alaska Airlines, awards with partner segments incur a $12.50 non-refundable fee one-way. It has been reported that when you cancel an award ticket within 24 hours you receive the taxes+fees less the $12.50 partner award fee.
It has been confirmed by various Alaska Airlines sources that the fee is refundable within 24 hours, with the rest of the refundable taxes+fees, but you need to contact Alaska Airlines customer care to manually request the refund after you have cancelled the award. Reports are listed below from users.

PDXPremier(7/24/19): UPDATE: I just confirmed with Alaska via Twitter....yes, the fees ARE refundable if cancelled within the first 24 hours of booking. See post 4

Channa (10/30/19): Yeah, it's policy to refund this. I've had to HUACA on this recently, and the second agent apologized profusely and read me the rule from the guide...it's very clear, it's to be refunded if you cancel inside the 24. See post 14

Safari ari (12/28/19): Called in today to get an award I cancelled within 24 hours a few days ago refunded, as the partner award fee wasn't on the refund. Had to be connected to customer care, and he first alluded to the fee not being refundable. Quick hold, comes back says it is indeed refundable within the 24 hour period. He said it will never be automatically refunded when cancelled and you have to manually ask for it. See post 18
Print Wikipost

Issues Getting the Partner Award Fee Refunded When Cancelling

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Is this still the case? I tried today and they are saying the 12.50 is nonrefundable now

DP: 3rd time's the charm
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: AS 75k
I just had an AA partner award refunded for me and 2 passengers - several months after booking. The connecting AS flight changed three different times until it left us with a 5 hour layover in LAX. I'd had enough and called in to cancel the booking. The miles redeposited while we were on the priority phone and the AS fees of $5.60 showed up the next day and they said they would refund the partner fee, too. But after 2 weeks when the partner $12.50 hadn't refunded, I called in again to the refund line and they kindly agreed to a what they called a "one-time exception" Refund showed up on the card the next day. I was pleased with the outcome.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Called in today to get an award I cancelled within 24 hours a few days ago refunded, as the partner award fee wasn't on the refund. Had to be connected to customer care, and he first alluded to the fee not being refundable. Quick hold, comes back says it is indeed refundable within the 24 hour period. He said it will never be automatically refunded when cancelled and you have to manually ask for it.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by safari ari
Called in today to get an award I cancelled within 24 hours a few days ago refunded, as the partner award fee wasn't on the refund. Had to be connected to customer care, and he first alluded to the fee not being refundable. Quick hold, comes back says it is indeed refundable within the 24 hour period. He said it will never be automatically refunded when cancelled and you have to manually ask for it.
I'm on my phone, but maybe this deserves a Wiki?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:16 am

I haven't been able to get through to an agent who will refund the $12.50 fee. I've tried hanging up and calling again four times.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Euteanzoic7216
I haven't been able to get through to an agent who will refund the $12.50 fee. I've tried hanging up and calling again four times.
If I recall correctly, I think I've had some luck emailing before.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:50 am

Each time I've called in the agent wouldn't do it. So I asked for a manager. In each case, the supervisor told me that the partner fee was nonrefundable. Shouldn't the $12.50 partner fee be included in the DOT 24 hour refund rule? Alaska is flatly telling me it doesn't, and that they won't give me a refund.

I have multiple tickets like this cancelled within 24 hours, so those fees add up.

Last edited by Euteanzoic7216; Feb 7, 2020 at 11:19 am
Old Feb 7, 2020, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
UPDATE: I just confirmed with Alaska via Twitter....yes, the fees ARE refundable if cancelled within the first 24 hours of booking.
Could you send a link to the twitter confirmation?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:56 pm

Each time I've called in the agent wouldn't do it. So I asked for a manager. In each case, the supervisor told me that the partner fee was nonrefundable. Shouldn't the $12.50 partner fee be included in the DOT 24 hour refund rule? Alaska is flatly telling me it doesn't, and that they won't give me a refund.

I have multiple tickets like this cancelled within 24 hours, so those fees add up.
Update: While Alaska airlines representatives have been hostile to my refund request over the phone, when I emailed them they refunded my tickets right away without question.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Update: While Alaska airlines representatives have been hostile to my refund request over the phone, when I emailed them they refunded my tickets right away without question.
"Yes, fees will be refunded if the reservation is cancelled within 24 hours of initial booking -Sean" (from July 24, 2019)
Old Mar 27, 2022, 7:45 pm

Just got my $12.50 partner award fee refund (ticket was cancelled within 24 hours) denied over chat. Just sent in an email and if that doesn’t work, will reach out to DOT.

EDIT: Was able to get the fee refunded via email. Didn’t even mention DOT; I was just polite lol.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by Kitty75k; Mar 29, 2022 at 6:14 pm Reason: Update from email correspondence
Old Mar 19, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
Online not possible - but was able to cancel by phone within 24 hrs and was waived the $12.50 pp partner award booking fee.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Just canceled an award ticket within 24 hrs, online. Both the taxes/fees and the $12.50 were refunded without human interaction.
pcoll and Flying for Fun like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Just cancelled an award ticket online with 24 hrs and was not refunded the $12.50 automatically. Going to send an email.
Old May 30, 2023, 7:10 pm

Looks like they automated the $12.50 refund now. I got 2 refund emails - one for $12.50 and another one for the reminder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.