How Long for AA Flights to Post to AS?

Old Jul 23, 19, 3:56 pm
ANC
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
How Long for AA Flights to Post to AS?

title says it all. Been "grounded" a year or so. AA miles used to post fast. Yet its been 7 days already. Whats the average lately?
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
If you're waiting for miles from any AA domestic flight, you'll be waiting awhile. Only AS codeshares earn domestically now, with international earning a % by fare class. My last international flight on AA took about 10 - 12 days to post I think?
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:19 pm
ANC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post
If you're waiting for miles from any AA domestic flight, you'll be waiting awhile. Only AS codeshares earn domestically now, with international earning a % by fare class. My last international flight on AA took about 10 - 12 days to post I think?
interesting so basically if one no longer lives on the west coast you are better off dumping mileage plan and go elsewhere. Theyve managed to piss off all their domestic partners one by one
Old Jul 23, 19, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ANC View Post
interesting so basically if one no longer lives on the west coast you are better off dumping mileage plan and go elsewhere. Theyve managed to piss off all their domestic partners one by one
Pretty much. AS/AA was gutted by the DOJ as a condition for approving the VX sale.

That said, you can still redeem Mileage Plan miles fairly widely on AA.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 23, 19, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post
I flew SCL-MIA-DFW-ICN on an AA Y-up fare into PE. The overnight Monday SCL-MIA flight posted to Mileage Plan Tuesday, the same day of arrival. The DFW-ICN segment posted the following Tuesday.

James
Old Jul 23, 19, 8:22 pm

Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
~3 days
Old Jul 23, 19, 9:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
It's a little tricky even living on the west coast sadly. Definitely miss the ability to fly DL and AA and earn on AS, but sadly no. To be fair, less "pissing them off, more" DL is trying to dominate the SEA market (would rather see AS defunct) so they chose to end that partnership, and DOJ made a partnership reduction with AA part of the VX merger terms (except in markets where they don't both already fly, if I understand correctly).
Old Jul 24, 19, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by Chugach View Post
Pretty much. AS/AA was gutted by the DOJ as a condition for approving the VX sale.
That's not quite true. AS/AA codeshares were restricted by the DOJ. The gutting of the frequent flyer partnership was not required by the DOJ; the airlines did it on their own. My synthesis of the hearsay on FlyerTalk is that it was AA's choice to gut the partnership, but take that with a salt shaker.
Old Jul 25, 19, 10:39 am
ANC
Original Poster

thanks for all the quick replies. I went on AA today and requested mileage credit to my AA account. The miles posted literally within 5 seconds despite there being an AS MP number on the PNR. So their system is obviously smart enough to know I wont get AS credit for those flights
Old Jul 25, 19, 10:50 am
ANC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill View Post
That's not quite true. AS/AA codeshares were restricted by the DOJ. The gutting of the frequent flyer partnership was not required by the DOJ; the airlines did it on their own. My synthesis of the hearsay on FlyerTalk is that it was AA's choice to gut the partnership, but take that with a salt shaker.
In part of that is I dont think AA was ready to share the "Love" with AS having a satellite operation up the road from DFW. Sure AS flies to just about every major city now so partners arent as important as they were in 1994 when we relied heavy on AA DL NW and CO for connecting flights. The loop hole or future problem for AS with dwindling partner ships is regional jet feeder traffic once you go east of the Rockies. For AS to continue to grow at some point theyre going to need a regional QX or contract hub some where for RJ service. Some where like MKE or somewhere where theres room for gates and airport growth but I cant think of a good place that isnt already over crowded and over run by other lagacies. Otherwise without many options to get to smaller airports people are just going to have to book DL or AA or UA even departing from an AS hub to get to where they want to go. They really shouldve bought FL when they had the chance rather than buying VX. VX adds hardly anything to their foot print or expansion network

Last edited by ANC; Jul 25, 19 at 11:18 am
Old Jul 25, 19, 11:25 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
In part of that is I dont think AA was ready to share the "Love" with AS having a satellite operation up the road from DFW.
I don't think AA is or was all that concerned about AS's two-gate operation at DAL; it's hard to imagine those two gates making the entire partnership no longer worthwhile. In fact, I'm quite sure that AA is much happier for AS to have a small outstation there than Southwest further boosting their formidable operation there. (Even with AS/VX flights from DAL to DCA and LGA, which were so unthreatening that AS has since abandoned them.) I also suspect that AA is happier to have a partner with those two gates than a bigger competitor (DL or UA). I think that AA's real concern about AS is on the California-based network, particularly the transcons. AS doesn't compete in the lie-flat J/F segment, but they are now a direct competitor on many transcons from LAX as well as SFO-JFK. It's there that VX brought a lot of direct AA competition to AS's network.

Sure AS flies to just about every major city now so partners arent as important as they were in 1994 when we relied heavy on AA DL NW and CO for connecting flights. The loop hole or future problem for AS with dwindling partner ships is regional jet feeder traffic once you go east of the Rockies. For AS to continue to grow at some point theyre going to need a regional QX or contract hub some where for RJ service. Some where like MKE or somewhere where theres room for gates and airport growth. Otherwise without many options to get to smaller airports people are just going to have to book DL or AA or UA even departing from an AS hub to get to where they want to go
There has certainly been a ton of talk in this forum about AS's purported need to have an east of the Rockies hub, in most formulations in some city like MKE or STL that has little enough local traffic that all the other hubs there have failed.

And you say that AS flies to just about every major city now. But I certainly feel the limitations of their network; they have dots on the map for most of the major cities, but I find that AS's network can't actually get me there in less than 24 hours in most cases. As a YLW/YYF-based traveler, it's pushed me over to WestJet and Air Canada because AS's YLW-SEA flights don't actually connect to the east-of-the-Rockies part of the network.
ANC likes this.
Old Jul 25, 19, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
. Otherwise without many options to get to smaller airports people are just going to have to book DL or AA or UA even departing from an AS hub to get to where they want to go.
WN spent 40 years and counting making money without any domestic partners. NK makes money without domestic partners. F9 makes money without domestic partners.

It's not easy to do it, and it won't work for everyone (there are customers you will leave by the side of the road), but it can be done.

VX adds hardly anything to their foot print or expansion network
California is the single largest geographical market adjacent to the Pacific NW. AS now has substantial operations in three of CA's largest markets; LA, SF/SJ, San Diego.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 25, 19, 2:04 pm
ANC
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
WN spent 40 years and counting making money without any domestic partners. NK makes money without domestic partners. F9 makes money without domestic partners.

It's not easy to do it, and it won't work for everyone (there are customers you will leave by the side of the road), but it can be done.

both F9 and WN have hubs and focus cities scattered about the country. Thats the problem for AS right now is they dont. WIthout partners they will need a hub or large focus city east of the rockies to feed into smaller markets like WN and F9 are doing. I dont see any AS flights going to GRB any time soon like F9 has from DEN. Mayybe if AS had a base in say STL that would be viable with a Q400 or E175. Just a random example. Not saying it would be a viable route just a what if scenario. Im an investor in AS and I just speculate and see so much growth that can be had. We complained for the last 5 years about AS chipping off benefits but compared to UA AA and DL theyre still way superior especially when it comes to the lowly ranks of AS MVP vs AA gold or delta gold. etc. They also introduced the board room day passes now for Signature card members $25. Thats a great deal for me as someone who still flies a fair amount but not frequently enough to warrant a lounge membership any more.. 2 drinks or a drink and a soda and a snack plate in the main terminal would be $40

Last edited by ANC; Jul 25, 19 at 2:23 pm
Old Jul 25, 19, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
both F9 and WN have hubs and focus cities scattered about the country. Thats the problem for AS right now is they dont.
When WN was a 200 plane operation instead of a 700 plane operation, they were considerably less scattered around the country. WN didn't start in Texas and then jump into NYC, SEA, BOS just because "OMG you can't get customers by just serving places people want to fly, you have to have hubs in lots of geographic locations".

It's a problem for you and other people in this thread that their model won't work for all your needs. But that's OK, AS can survive without being able to be a major. When you're 20% of the size of the majors, it's a fool's errand to pretend you're a major.

The advantage of expanding through adjacent geographical markets is AS already has a lot of CA traffic, because the Bay Area, LAX and SAN are all places that send a lot of PNW traffic and vice versa, so you can build on that (that's basically what WN did for 20ish years, and what AS was doing before the VX acquisition), instead of "hey, let's go to some random midcon market where we have no real mindshare and try to make a market out of nothing". That's basically what VX did in DAL- they even invested in NYC/WAS-DAL by throwing money into LGA/DCA slots. DAL wasn't a particularly strong market for VX (and those slots went away), and isn't a particularly strong market for AS five-ish years later (AS is trimming back some of their newer tries at DAL service).
ashill and Flying for Fun like this.

Search this Thread