Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Unable to book one way award LAX-TPE with stopover at SEA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond

I'm relatively new here and I apologize if this has been asked/discussed before.

I'm trying to book a one way award ticket from LAX to TPE in December, with a 1 week stopover in SEA. I see award availability in both LAX-SEA on AS on 12/3, and in SEA-TPE on JAL on 12/9.

However, when I combine these two into a multi-city search, it throws a no result.

Is this stopover not allowed, or am I missing anything here?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:57 pm

I’m not sure if they allow the stopover to be in the US. But if you call in they can try to piece the itinerary together for you. You will have to pay the phone booking fee though.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:58 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Try calling in - I recently had this problem with booking SEA-LAX-MEL-PER on a single ticket. Had the agent first do LAX-MEL (since that space is harder to find), and then add the other two legs.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
OP: What cabin are you trying to book? I haven't had a chance to check into it further, but online, it may be a routing issue since you are already in a gateway city with availability.

A stopover in the US certainly is a possibility. I have done that multiple times both on US and International origins.

James
jsguyrus likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Merlinrnr and ft543 for suggesting. I'll call them and will report back.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
OP: What cabin are you trying to book? I haven't had a chance to check into it further, but online, it may be a routing issue since you are already in a gateway city with availability.

A stopover in the US certainly is a possibility. I have done that multiple times both on US and International origins.

James
I'm trying to book into business for the JAL part. LAX-SEA doesn't really matter but First would be optimal.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by ft543
Try calling in - I recently had this problem with booking SEA-LAX-MEL-PER on a single ticket. Had the agent first do LAX-MEL (since that space is harder to find), and then add the other two legs.
Do you have a stopover enroute? I have a QF J in October for PER-MEL-LAX/2 days/LAX-SEA(F)-YLW(No F). Trying to book the LAX-SEA-YLW the same day resulted in losing the TPAC J. By adding the stopover, I got J & F mainline all the way through and PER-MEL on the A330. I may change the final destination with an LAX stopover before I fly. At least I have all the QF Flights secured in J. I also have 2 FJ J awards booked in November, HNL-NAN/3 days/NAN-SYD, so I am considering using the October award to get to Hawaii in November.

James
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Domo5
Thanks Merlinrnr and ft543 for suggesting. I'll call them and will report back.

I'm trying to book into business for the JAL part. LAX-SEA doesn't really matter but First would be optimal.
There are Saver W, economy awards on the LAX-SEA flights you have listed but no Saver A, first awards. Have you tried multi-city from SNA, ONT, BUR? Those are not gateway cities and may rule out trying to reposition from one gateway to another with a stopover in the second gateway city. I too would call AS and advise that you want to fly from SEA as there is J availability and would like to connect to that flight.

James
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Do you have a stopover enroute?
Not on the outbound, but for the return, I routed PER-SYD // 1 week // SYD-LAX-SEA. Were you trying to book via the website?

At this point, I just book the longest segment online (when possible), and then feed segments to the agent on the phone.
My experience is that even if EF/Alaska has individual segment availability, combining things into one search often breaks things.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

There are Saver W, economy awards on the LAX-SEA flights you have listed but no Saver A, first awards.
Does it have to be Saver A to combine with the JAL business leg?

Have you tried multi-city from SNA, ONT, BUR? Those are not gateway cities and may rule out trying to reposition from one gateway to another with a stopover in the second gateway city. I too would call AS and advise that you want to fly from SEA as there is J availability and would like to connect to that flight.

James
I'm based in SEA. My Thanksgiving trip ends in LAX and I'm going to Taiwan in Dec. Trying to use the free stopover to get myself home from LAX before I head out again in a week. It's probably not going to work in my case to switch to another airport. Thanks for suggesting though!

Last edited by Domo5; Jul 23, 2019 at 9:48 pm Reason: Missed the second part of the response.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:13 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Does it have to be Saver A to combine with the JAL business leg?
Saver A for F, but if you can settle for Y, the Saver W space is also combinable. You can also book W space and then move to A if it opens up (change fee may apply).
Flying for Fun and Sonny84 like this.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 10:44 pm

Not on the outbound, but for the return, I routed PER-SYD // 1 week // SYD-LAX-SEA. Were you trying to book via the website?

At this point, I just book the longest segment online (when possible), and then feed segments to the agent on the phone.
My experience is that even if EF/Alaska has individual segment availability, combining things into one search often breaks things.
The OP is trying to do a stopover in the US while your return is a stopover in Australia.

For partners that can be booked online I like the flexibility of being able to change it online. If I book something from the gateway city, I have a segment I can change without having to call AS to add something later. I did that in January on JL, booking HKG-HND-JFK-LAX in J, F, F. Later I changed JFK-LAX to JFK-LAX-PVR F, Y and added a 2 month stopover in JFK all online. I was upgraded on the LAX-PVR segment too.

James
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:28 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Can you fly ex-ONT instead of LAX? I'm getting the tool to pull up the following

Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Saver A for F, but if you can settle for Y, the Saver W space is also combinable. You can also book W space and then move to A if it opens up (change fee may apply).
Thanks. This is helpful. I booked the JAL part from SEA to TPE for now. Since it's still pretty early, I'll wait and see if Saver A in the AS leg ever becomes available. I'm hoping the change fee can be waived since I'm MVPG..?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Can you fly ex-ONT instead of LAX? I'm getting the tool to pull up the following

I suggested ONT, BUR, SNA but OP didn't think it would work for him.

James
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:23 pm

Thanks. This is helpful. I booked the JAL part from SEA to TPE for now. Since it's still pretty early, I'll wait and see if Saver A in the AS leg ever becomes available. I'm hoping the change fee can be waived since I'm MVPG..?
Did you call to confirm if the routing is valid? If it is you can add the LAX-SEA in Y (Saver W) now and change it later to F if Saver A becomes available. As an MVPG, you can make changes at anytime without a fee. Even if you weren't, AS will allow a cabin change on an award you have already paid for without a fee. If you book a J award and a segment is in Y, that segment can be upgraded without fee for anyone. If you booked a Y award and later wanted to upgrade to J the change fee would apply unless you have a fee waiver.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.