FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   BA Award: Paid for F, got Y, UPG later? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1979376-ba-award-paid-f-got-y-upg-later.html)

Legend717 Jul 20, 2019 4:10 pm

BA Award: Paid for F, got Y, UPG later?

Okay, I tried to make that subject line as informative and concise as possible...

So I paid 80k miles (plus the obligatory extortionate "fee" for the privilege of flying BA) for a DXB-LHR-DFW one way next spring.
It booked into Y for the DXB-LHR leg, and F for the LHR-DFW leg, because that's what was available.
My question is, if I watch akair.com for the next few months, and availability opens up, can I hope to call AS and have them re-ticket it or something, into J on that first leg?
Does anyone have any positive/negative experience in doing this?
Or other suggestions?
It's not the end of my world, but I am traveling with a family member, and I gave them the seat in J. It'd be nice if we could sit together in a premium cabin, of course.

Flying for Fun Jul 20, 2019 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Legend717 (Post 31324915)
Okay, I tried to make that subject line as informative and concise as possible...

So I paid 80k miles (plus the obligatory extortionate "fee" for the privilege of flying BA) for a DXB-LHR-DFW one way next spring.
It booked into Y for the DXB-LHR leg, and F for the LHR-DFW leg, because that's what was available.
My question is, if I watch akair.com for the next few months, and availability opens up, can I hope to call AS and have them re-ticket it or something, into J on that first leg?
Does anyone have any positive/negative experience in doing this?
Or other suggestions?
It's not the end of my world, but I am traveling with a family member, and I gave them the seat in J. It'd be nice if we could sit together in a premium cabin, of course.

AS will allow a change to your itinerary without fee if you are moving into a cabin that you have already paid for. Watch for the DXB-LHR flight for availability and call AS if you see it. There will be additional fees as the price you already paid for the surcharges are based on the Y & F cabins. Moving into J or F (if available on the route) will incur higher surcharges for the premium seat on that segment.

James

Legend717 Jul 21, 2019 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 31325459)
AS will allow a change to your itinerary without fee if you are moving into a cabin that you have already paid for. Watch for the DXB-LHR flight for availability and call AS if you see it. There will be additional fees as the price you already paid for the surcharges are based on the Y & F cabins. Moving into J or F (if available on the route) will incur higher surcharges for the premium seat on that segment.

James

Ha. You'd know, just four days after buying, some space has opened up.
But now it gets really complicated. Two reservations.
1. Fare paid: F/F. Classes actually booked into: J/F.
2. Fare paid: F/F/ Classes actually booked into: Y/F.

Now there's ONE seat in F, plus a seat in J.

I'm totally prepared (grudgingly, but hey, I signed up to play this game, and get werked by the system!) to pay the higher fees.
But now I don't even know how to go about asking to get my posterior out of economy!

UPDATE AFTER CALLING:
The FANTASTIC phone agent was able to push just myself into Biz, so I and my family member are now traveling together. I'll continue to watch for F space to open up.
BEST PHONE AGENTS OF ANY US AIRLINE. That's one of the big reasons I switched to Alaska, after United's formerly fantastic phone agents lost all of their authority to make things work without consulting a supervisor.
>>Happy Customer<<