EK/QF operated by QF/EK

Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
EK/QF operated by QF/EK

Do I get miles if flight booked on QF but operated by EK, or booked on EK but operated by QF?

Ta!
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Per the rules, you can earn miles flying on a QF-coded, QF-operated flight on EK ticket stock, but not an EK-coded, EK-operated flight on QF ticket stock.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Do I get miles if flight booked on QF but operated by EK, or booked on EK but operated by QF?
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Per the rules, you can earn miles flying on a QF-coded, QF-operated flight on EK ticket stock, but not an EK-coded, EK-operated flight on QF ticket stock.
I think the Guy Betsy's question is about QF marketed/EK operated or EK marketed/QF operated. Not which airlines issues the ticket (ticket stock)

In the last posts of the thread linked below, Guy Betsy is looking an EK operated flight followed by a QF operated flight. KUL-BNE-MEL
Depending on how its purchased could be
EK/EK then EK/QF marketed/operated
QF/EK then QF/QF marketed/operated
Link--->PER transfer & lounge
[Marketed = flight number]

I thought the AS rules were "marked & operated by the same airline". Which they do not follow if both are AS partners and will (manually) credit based on operating carrier. [Oneworld credits based on marketing carrier if OW operated. But an exemption for some OW ffps' for QF marketed EK operated],
Old Jul 20, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
AS has special rule for EK. its the only partner that has reference to ticket stock. Whether that are now enforcing it or not, i'm not sure:

EK page:
Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Emirates. Ticket has to be on Emirates ticket stock to qualify.
QF page:
Flights must fall within the eligible flight number range below, and your flight must be marketed and operated by Qantas.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
AS has special rule for EK. its the only partner that has reference to ticket stock. Whether that are now enforcing it or not, i'm not sure:

EK page:

QF page:
I want to test this. I hope to do an EK marketed, QF operated flight by year end. If it doesn't credit it won't be a loss for me since I requalified for MVPG75K in May. From my experience, the EK ticket stock requirement hasn't been adhered to.

LA marketed, QF flights between SYD & SCL are now specifically excluded (July 1st, 2018) as shownin the LA Details.

James
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: AA, AS, DL, SQ, UA
EK-operated QF tickets (sold as QF 8XXX) credited 100% AS for me pre-2018. Haven't flown those routes since then.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by magnacartic
EK-operated QF tickets (sold as QF 8XXX) credited 100% AS for me pre-2018. Haven't flown those routes since then.
Do you recall the fare class of the EK flight? If allowed, it should have been based on the EK charts. Only Y, E R & W class in Economy would credit 100% to AS.

This is opposite to EK tickets operated by QF which is in question. I don't recall a DP on that. I believe status has a big role in leniency with respect to written policy.

James
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: AA, AS, DL, SQ, UA
They were credited as QF flights (EK-operated). I did Q, O, N, S between MEL-KUL/SIN when they were between $300-600, earning 100% AS. I don't think status had a role in my earnings. Things may have changed. One caveat when crediting EK/QF to AS is that you'd have to manually submit a retroactive mileage claim for each e-ticket.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by magnacartic
They were credited as QF flights (EK-operated). I did Q, O, N, S between MEL-KUL/SIN when they were between $300-600, earning 100% AS. I don't think status had a role in my earnings. Things may have changed. One caveat when crediting EK/QF to AS is that you'd have to manually submit a retroactive mileage claim for each e-ticket.
Interesting. Both EK & QF flights will post automatically if they are native flight numbers. You required a manual request because they were codeshare flights; not within the range of eligible flight numbers for the marketing carrier. When AS allows Mileage Plan credit on codeshare flight numbers, the credit is granted on the charts of the operating carrier, not the marketing carrier. I would say you were very lucky in getting credit on the QF Chart at 100% EQM.

When something is done manually, there is more room for human error; in this case in your favour.

James
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Very kind interpretations.

My experience has been that Alaska Airlines are very kind in awarding credit for flights marketed but not operated by the same airline. I am not sure if there are any rules that are hard and fast but generally if both airlines are Alaska members, then they do their best to award the miles based on the operating carrier fare basis.

Recently I was granted credit for Qantas marketed Finnair flights and on a Qantas marketed Alaska Airlines flight (which was also out of the QF/AS codeshare flight range).

In all cases, manual processing is needed.

I for one appreciate this flexibility as sometmes I get confused on what metal I am actually hopping on.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.