Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Wines - Drinkable or Unthinkable?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Wines - Drinkable or Unthinkable?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Do you like the wines? Mentions of new wine in the Lounge Membership Fee thread reminded me.

The white wine on board this week was, for my tastes, undrinkable. I will not think to order it again.

My travelling partner who was seated in another row, mentioned the same distaste for the white wine. We both couldn't drink it.

I've never thought myself to be very picky about wine. My palate must be more of a pallet. And I understand that people have different tastes.

However and for me, that water at the seat for a PDB is looking better and better.
I am a wine snob and unapologetic. That said, I do find most of the reds offered over time to be barely across the drinkable line. I set my expectations very low when it comes to complimentary wine and alcohol. I appreciate that it is offered and understand the economics.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:04 pm
Suspended

My travelling partner who was seated in another row, mentioned the same distaste for the white wine. We both couldn't drink it.

I've never thought myself to be very picky about wine. My palate must be more of a pallet. And I understand that people have different tastes.
The bottle may very well have just been off.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by ou81two
The bottle may very well have just been off.
In Premium, the wine was handed over in a single serve little bottle. A separate bottle for each passenger. So at least 2 bottles would have to have been off.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:45 pm

In Premium, the wine was handed over in a single serve little bottle. A separate bottle for each passenger. So at least 2 bottles would have to have been off.
I have never seen wine served on AS is single serve bottles. Main Cabin and Premium have always been poured from 750ml bottles.

Were you flying on a different airline?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by fly18725

I have never seen wine served on AS is single serve bottles. Main Cabin and Premium have always been poured from 750ml bottles.

Because YOU haven't seen it in the past doesn't.. oh never mind. No. Not a different airline.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k

It's single-serve bottles on most airbus transcons in Y, as of June this year, when I was last in AS Y. I believe that's a holdover from VX.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by jjmadison
It's single-serve bottles on most airbus transcons in Y, as of June this year, when I was last in AS Y. I believe that's a holdover from VX.
Interesting. All my transcons are on 737s which use 750ml bottles.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
This month's red wine paired very well with the midcon risotto for me last week.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wink

Originally Posted by chipmaster
I'm surprised they are drinkable at all, given the ticket price revenue etc. even in 1st class, compare that to what the big three can for business/first on international revenue. I'd not expect anything fancier than 10-15 retail, right there with the cheapest Costco stuff.
Let's not insult Costco wines. I understand that some of them are selected very carefully by buyers with genuine wine expertise.

For most people, a $10-15 (retail) bottle would be moderate quality, not rock bottom at all, and should generally be drinkable even if not special in any way.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by jjmadison
Huh. I've flown on transcons on Airbus pretty a good number of times this year (usually LAX/DCA). I've had pours from a larger bottle every time I can remember. Perhaps it's a certain subset of Airbus (like 319s or 320s only)? I think LAX/DCA are generally 321s, but the 320 I flew BUR-SEA last week had full bottles, too.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Huh. I've flown on transcons on Airbus pretty a good number of times this year (usually LAX/DCA). I've had pours from a larger bottle every time I can remember. Perhaps it's a certain subset of Airbus (like 319s or 320s only)? I think LAX/DCA are generally 321s, but the 320 I flew BUR-SEA last week had full bottles, too.
I fly Y rarely so could be an outlier. In June, I was handed a small bottle of red wine when I asked for it. That's all I know.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS

La Marca is served in small individual bottles.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:25 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Let's not insult Costco wines. I understand that some of them are selected very carefully by buyers with genuine wine expertise.

For most people, a $10-15 (retail) bottle would be moderate quality, not rock bottom at all, and should generally be drinkable even if not special in any way.
Where was the insult? Costco picks it's product carefully and knows that income level of many, they are a very big, I once read the biggest? mover of high end wines. I buy much less there now that I'm a club member at several local wineries and have so much I'm giving some away.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll

La Marca is served in small individual bottles.
I knew that. I've never seen (or heard of) red and white being served in individual bottles. I imagine those wines would be crap since there is very little wine of good value served in that type of container.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:33 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

Canned meat would also help save galley space so for those looking for bigger portions of meat in F, perhaps spam will be the next cost cutting/space saving enhancement.
Its all in how you cook it .Hawaiian chefs make it taste terriffic
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.