Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

New Alaska Lounge Membership Pricing (8/30/2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Alaska Lounge Membership Pricing (8/30/2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 7K, MARRIOTT PLAT PREMIER WITH AMBASSADOR
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
I had planned on cancelling my membership anyways, because I did not like the so-called "elevated" changes at the PDX lounge, where I fly out of (the little fridge with lots of different snack things now gone, "upgraded" cheap undrinkable house wine, less seating after "remodel" at PDX with wooden chairs to sit on? the wood chairs were gone last Tuesday when I was there, but staff informed me they were defective and are coming back again after being returned to manufacturer. The old chairs were worn and needed replacing, but at least they were soft).

Then I had a chance last Saturday to go to the new Seattle lounge, and I was blown away. It is so awesome, I was reconsidering my decision to drop the lounge membership. The views of the runway from the new lounge were incredible. Even though the house wine has been downgraded, the free beer selections in PDX and SEA North Satellite are amazingly awesome, so I guess I'll be drinking more beer instead of wine.

And if I get 75k this year (which is likely), lounge renewal will only be 5 dollar increase instead of 55 for Golds. So, maybe I won't cancel for long.
wow that’s horrible to hear they got rid of the Portland phone rooms too! I am actually flying to pdx now haven’t been to that lounge in about 6 months but that used to be my home airport as well and I owned that back phone room it was fantastic like a private little suite lol. I was at LAX the other day and saw they removed their phone room as well. I voiced my opinion to the bartender that I love them but hated the remodel she said most other customers agreed and we should voice our opinions to Alaska listens. I was always shocked more people didn’t fight over access to the phone rooms seemed to me to be the perfect spot to work and relax but if the trend is to remove all of these I’ll be depressed but as I said earlier the cheese and liquor will drown my sorrows.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I miss the 2 phone booths, err private work areas in the far corner. Could actually conduct BUSINESS without everyone in the lounge hearing it (pet peeve of mine). Some of us road warriors have long layovers and chose to not watch the crappy ball game on the tv.
The area at the PDX AL wasn't completely closed off at the top and many a seemingly private conversation spilled over to the back seating area. Still better than nothing.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Good through February 2020. Then will use the lounge passes which gets me through until March or April.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
I like the remodel at PDX. Good free beer choices now. Maybe with the increases and elimination of spouses, I'll be able to get access more often with Priority Pass.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by StephanP37

wow that’s horrible to hear they got rid of the Portland phone rooms too! I am actually flying to pdx now haven’t been to that lounge in about 6 months but that used to be my home airport as well and I owned that back phone room it was fantastic like a private little suite lol. I was at LAX the other day and saw they removed their phone room as well. I voiced my opinion to the bartender that I love them but hated the remodel she said most other customers agreed and we should voice our opinions to Alaska listens. I was always shocked more people didn’t fight over access to the phone rooms seemed to me to be the perfect spot to work and relax but if the trend is to remove all of these I’ll be depressed but as I said earlier the cheese and liquor will drown my sorrows.
I found the phone rooms to be nice about having a Lounge. The phone rooms provided me 2 benefits. A place to make a phone call in relative private. And the benefit of a place for others to have phone calls and not bother the lounge. With text, they aren't as in demand as they once were, but even if used less frequently, I still don't want to listen to one side of a conference call (and I really really don't want to hear all sides on a speaker, some people)
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
I like the remodel at PDX. Good free beer choices now. Maybe with the increases and elimination of spouses, I'll be able to get access more often with Priority Pass.
I think if Alaska can get away with charging more for the lounge they have less dependence on priority pass. I'm just waiting for it to officially drop off the LAX and PDX lists
pcoll and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG
One of the AA cards will get you an Admiral's Club membership for $450 iirc. Arguably better value for some use cases so long as the relationship lasts. I'm betting this means the end is near for the AA lounge tieup.

I use the heck out of the AA/JAL lounge in HNL. Losing access to the curry and miso soup would be a bummer. Given all the traffic to HNL, I'd think AS would want to keep some kind of arrangement going with someone there.
worldwidedreamer and williwaw like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tusphotog
New price isn’t nearly as bad as I thought, nor as bad as a couple friends at the lounges thought.
Pretty sad state of affairs when the best you can say about a "modification" at Alaska is: It isn't as bad as I thought.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I know they werent the most aesthetically pleasing things, but I do wish they would have kept the work cubicles at PDX and LAX.

The new refresh looks better, but I find the layouts less functional
tusphotog and PaperGlider like this.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by BearX220
Pretty sad state of affairs when the best you can say about a "modification" at Alaska is: It isn't as bad as I thought.
Would you prefer a larger price increase?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Lets be honest: We all knew a price increase was in the works. I think had AS just changed the prices, we'd be whining less.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Would you prefer a larger price increase?
I'd prefer the value of the total AS proposition to grow over time, not keep shriveling.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 7K, MARRIOTT PLAT PREMIER WITH AMBASSADOR
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
I found the phone rooms to be nice about having a Lounge. The phone rooms provided me 2 benefits. A place to make a phone call in relative private. And the benefit of a place for others to have phone calls and not bother the lounge. With text, they aren't as in demand as they once were, but even if used less frequently, I still don't want to listen to one side of a conference call (and I really really don't want to hear all sides on a speaker, some people)
yes after seeing it the other night the rest of the remodel looks stylish - seems they were trying make it like an apple store feel. The bar is a nice addition but removing the phone rooms only to add a sitting area that sits the same or less people than the phone rooms did seems pointless. Those rooms were used constantly I hope we all voice enough to get them brought back!
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by finlandia
Given all the traffic to HNL, I'd think AS would want to keep some kind of arrangement going with someone there.
I remain quite surprised that AS relies on partners at some many important stations like its hub at SFO and big operations at places like SAN + SJC + HNL. It does operate a lounge at JFK which has a similar number of customers as at HNL...and less than either SFO, SAN or SJC.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I remain quite surprised that AS relies on partners at some many important stations like its hub at SFO and big operations at places like SAN + SJC + HNL. It does operate a lounge at JFK which has a similar number of customers as at HNL...and less than either SFO, SAN or SJC.
SFO is on its way. I've assumed lounges only make sense at hubs. HNL would not fit that model, especially with leisure travelers seeking to minimize airport time. JFK I have assumed works to serve international travelers connecting to AS via overseas partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.