Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AA/AS Partnerhip Rumored to Be Further Gutted

AA/AS Partnerhip Rumored to Be Further Gutted

Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ashill

At least with respect to QF, a condition of the QF/AA joint venture approval was that the partnership is not exclusive, ie AA can not prevent QF from continuing their partnership with AS.
The DL/KE joint venture approval also had this condition.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by xliioper
The DL/KE joint venture approval also had this condition.
Applies to codeshares, not mileage program partnerships.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I have no insider information. But I don't believe this is a rumor at all.

Seriously, why should AA keep working with AS when AS gradually increases its market and starts threatening others?

AS is no longer its former form when it merged with VX. It is only a matter of time.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Well, if the experience with DL is any indication--remember DL also forced AM/KL/AF to also cut ties. Perhaps AA will not be as vindictive as DL though.
True, though KE still hung around. BA would be a significant blow.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by safari ari
This has more to do with the Max grounding, but obviously if you are giving up a route totally, it wasn't making money to their "standard". Then again AA is also giving up on JFK.
Wow, I hadn't realized they dropped SEA-JFK. I haven't flown AA for years but I did just book an American Eagle/AS codeshare to connect from BUF into ORD a few days ago.

I don't get what AA is doing. Their JFK-Europe story is pretty weak, forcing most travel through Heathrow and connections onto BA. That connection absolutely sucks because AA drops you off at T3 at LHR and you have to dash over to T5 for most of BA's onward European connections. DL is eating them alive on that front.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
True, though KE still hung around. BA would be a significant blow.
Well, DL just bought an equity stake in KE so I am sure DL will ensure that KE relationship gets killed as soon as the contract runs out. This is one of the problems of relying on partners and why B6 feels it better start its own international service. We know DL is not doing AS or B6 any favors these days.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: MVPGold 75K
It cannot. Deal approved by DOT specifically prohibits eliminating other relationship and codeshare ke has in the usa
Old Jul 20, 2019, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by felicidad76
It cannot. Deal approved by DOT specifically prohibits eliminating other relationship and codeshare ke has in the usa
Codeshares for now but not FF partnerships. If there were ever an airline out to put the screws on competitors-even using completely hypocritical arguments to justify the actions—it would be DL.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
AA has pulled out of JFK-SEA all together so not sure how much they really care about the West Coast at this point.
... and starting January, they're cutting SEA-PHL down to a single daily redeye (compared to 4x daily flights in November). AA seems to be struggling in SEA - and if this rumor is true, maybe they're okay with that.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
... and starting January, they're cutting SEA-PHL down to a single daily redeye (compared to 4x daily flights in November). AA seems to be struggling in SEA - and if this rumor is true, maybe they're okay with that.
Is that unusual? AA has always been highly seasonal when I lived in PHL (2014-2017), I recall AA seasonally varied from 1x (winter) to 4x (summer) daily on PHL-SEA.

Though I’d think if AA we’re struggling badly in SEA, they’d be perfectly happy with a strong partnership with AS: effectively tell their loyalists that they have a good AAdvantage (earning and redeeming) network in the Northwest even though it’s not much of a focus of AA’s own-metal network. And similarly, take the revenue AS sends them in the eastern 2/3 of the continent. If AA wants to cut ties with AS, that strikes me as saying they want the business for themselves and are willing to give up the AS feed to the east to get it.

It’s not like AA (or US) have ever been strong in the Northwest. Even on the days of six major carriers, they were always behind most of the big six in addition to AS. The competition has always had hubs that better serve the Northwest (SLC, DEN, SFO) or actual focus cities (NW in SEA; DL in PDX IIRC). Just never been a core of either AA or US’s network.

Last edited by ashill; Jul 21, 2019 at 2:10 pm
Old Jul 21, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Now I'm REALLY hoping that WS joins Skyteam.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Huh? WestJet might possibly, but what does that have to do with AS/AA (neither of which will join SkyTeam, I think it’s safe to say).
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by ashill

Huh? WestJet might possibly, but what does that have to do with AS/AA (neither of which will join SkyTeam, I think it’s safe to say).
Because....... right now I fly domestically (within Canada) on WS. For US and international flying I fly AS and its partners. This means that to get to secondary and tertiary airports, I end up on AA. If the AA/AS partnership - such that it is - was do dissolve, I would need another alliance to accrue on. If WS joined Skyteam, that would work for me......which is why I hope WS joins Skyteam.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Don't they codeshare and earn miles on Delta/KLM/AF? Sure, it's not a full Skyteam membership, but you can at least get onto those networks out of Canada and earn miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.