Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AA Canceled My AA Connection (Codeshare) to My AS Flight - Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

So I was flying from SYR to ORD today before getting on AS Metal and flying to PDX. Booked everything with AS over the phone. Well my flight to ORD was just cancelled. Quite frustrating when AA told me I can get out again in 24 hours. Called customer service and they have me going from SYR to PHL to LAS to PDX with only LAS to PDX on AS. Being MVPG I had cleared waitlist and was in First Class from ORD to PDX.

Is there anything I can do with AA? I went from first class to back of the plane and being shuttle all around the country and not get any miles for it. Just curious if there were any options I would have.

Last edited by Conflipper; Jul 18, 2019 at 10:17 am
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:15 am

Kind of a misleading thread title, wouldn't you say?
91foxbody and ft543 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Kind of a misleading thread title, wouldn't you say?
valid point I changed it
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Conflipper

valid point I changed it
actually the mods are the only ones who can change how it appears on the main page
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You could have had AS rebook you before AA reissued and took over the ticket.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Was F already full on the flights they put you on?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
As for the loss of first class seat, that is annoying to be sure but which is more important - getting where you need to be as close to as time as possible, or holding out for another seat?

As for the mileage, I've never had to use it, but there's a process called "Original Routing Credit" - basically you call AS and inform them of the cancellations, re-routing, etc. and request that they credit you the miles flown (both EQM & RDM) for the original routing which you paid for and attempted to fly.

I'm not 100% certain what the conditions to qualify for ORC are - for example if the rerouting has to be due to mechanical instead of weather? Unsure. Also don't know if it qualifies for a partner leg being cancelled or if it only qualifies when AS puts you on a non-partner as part of a re-route? Again, I'm not certain.

But it's worth calling in and inquiring about. And if for whatever reason they tell you that you do not qualify for an actual reimbursement of EQM, you could ask that they put a note on your acct indicating you missed out on 1583 EQM (2346 original route minus the 763 LAS-PDX which will post) due to a partner re-routing, and that if you come up just short of your planned tier by end of year, maybe they can give you an accommodation.

Never hurts to ask!
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If there was a better reroute, you should have asked for it. As to UG's, it is very unlikely that AA will upgrade you for free based on the fact that you have status on some other carrier. But, it does not hurt to ask and you may hit paydirt with the right agent.

The key to IRROPS is not to be passive.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Often1
The key to IRROPS is not to be passive.
I would also add, have a plan ahead of time in case something goes wrong. If you are prepared with alternate routings you can feed that to the agent instead of having them pull up what they think works. Granted, only us flyertalk people would probably do that!
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Yeah there are limited options out of SYR that do not involve Chicago and today with storms Chicago was pretty much shut down from the way it looked.

When I have had flights cancel in the past and I called Alaska because they did not cancel it they would not modify the ticket for me to reroute it had to be whoever cancel it. Is what they told me.

I will look into that credit thing maybe they can get credit for earlier this year also. I have had two transcon cancel this year and I didn’t get credit for which would be nice to have so thanks for that.

I was looking at all possible routes that I could find and nothing jumped out. But noted for the future... avoid Chicago at all cost.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Conflipper
Yeah there are limited options out of SYR that do not involve Chicago and today with storms Chicago was pretty much shut down from the way it looked.

When I have had flights cancel in the past and I called Alaska because they did not cancel it they would not modify the ticket for me to reroute it had to be whoever cancel it. Is what they told me.

I will look into that credit thing maybe they can get credit for earlier this year also. I have had two transcon cancel this year and I didn’t get credit for which would be nice to have so thanks for that.

I was looking at all possible routes that I could find and nothing jumped out. But noted for the future... avoid Chicago at all cost.
I don't think "avoid Chicago at all cost" is really the right lesson to take away from this. More like "use your crystal ball to avoid the airport which will have severe thunderstorms the day you're flying at all costs". Most of the midwestern hubs (certainly including DFW and PHL, the other main connecting hubs AS's partner has from that part of the country) can go to pieces if they're hit with thunderstorms, and most can get doozies in the summer. I don't think O'Hare is nearly as bad as it used to be now that they have a new runway, and if you want to wind up on AS metal from the midwest to the west coast and you're not starting in a city with AS metal service, O'Hare is as good a choice as any, often the only good choice; pretty sure of the eastern/midwestern AA hubs, it's by far the one with the most AS flights and therefore your best chance of winding up on AS metal to the west coast.

But definitely ask for original routing credit. I doubt you'll have much trouble.

It is ordinarily the operating carrier of the delayed or cancelled segment who is responsible for rebooking you to your final destination. If you're at an airport where the ticketing carrier has service and staff, their airport staff may be able to deal with it (they have for me in a situation in which the ticketing carrier operated none of my segments that day), but I don't think phone agents of the ticketing carrier can do much when it's not their flight that cancelled. The loss of upgrades is annoying, but not much to be done; a risk that comes with multi-operator connections.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
I've had this same problem happen a couple of times on codeshare flights out of West Texas beginning on AA metal, and the AS phone agent told me that once you check into your flight you are at the mercy of American and their decisions for re-routing and there is nothing AS can do. And AA routed me on AA metal in the back of the plane all the way to PDX. Real bummer. So, I don't know if the AS phone agent was correct, but my takeaway was not to check into my AA flight until I know it's going to go on time? Anyone know if this is true?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Day of the operating carrier is always responsible for baggage and reroutes. Why would AS want to take on the financial burden for AA’s problem?
Old Jul 20, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Anyway, the problem may resolve itself if AA/AS cancel their code sharing and FF partnership which may well happen soon.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:53 am
Original Poster

I was able to get Original Routing Credits for my flights. I just had to call and ask; was told if I run into this in the future just give them a call and they can make exception and add in the credits. The credits were enough to bump me into MVP. Not the quest towards Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.