Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denial of Mileage Plan Shopping Miles

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

I just filed a complaint with the NYS Attorney General. I called the Washington State AG office and they referred me to to either NYS or Massachusetts (Cartera is located in MA). NYS said they will accept complaints on behalf of NYS residents, regardless of the location of the business, so I went ahead and files online.

Just to be clear, I used the Apple Government link for current and retired employees. This has nothing to do with government purchases. In their final disapproval letter, Cartera mentioned that if there "...was special pricing that you might get through a school, work or government offer." the miles cannot be "added" to my account.

I'm not confident that I'll receive any satisfaction, but at least I tried.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I believe they meant on the MileagePlan shopping site.
Thank you yes I meant the government discount “store” has no mention or link on the shopping site while education does.

I lost points by using an expedited shipping code from a direct email from a store — code not on shopping portal site meant no points for me —but small amount.

Old Aug 1, 2019, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Good news! I fought the good fight and yesterday, Mileage Plan Shopping informed me that the bonus miles would post to my account in 5-7 business days. Today, 23,436 miles showed up as pending. How did this happen?

The case I tried to make to Cartera (repeatedly) fell on deaf ears and it seems too soon for my AG complaint to have had an impact. I decided to call Apple on Monday and was transferred from one person to another until I finally spoke to someone who represented herself to be a supervisor. She encouraged me to Google Tim Cook's email address and tell my story in an email to him. It was very easy to find the address and I sent an email off. Who knows, that email may well have done the trick. Likely, I'll never know for sure, but I couldn't be more pleased.

Still, a word to the wise--Cartera is an awful company to deal with. Be wary when using the shopping portals they administer and read the Terms and Conditions very carefully. Though, even when you meet the Terms and Conditions, they might try to deny you the miles.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Just a quick follow-up. Today I received a copy of Cartera's response to my New York AG inquiry. I'm now quite certain this inquiry is what caused Cartera's change of heart. I am also more convinced than ever that Cartera is a bad actor. They sent the AG what they claim to be a screenshot of their Terms and Conditions for the Apple Store. It clearly states "Orders placed through the Government Store are not eligible." The only problem is that they seem to have changed the language on 7/29, the date of their response to the AG. Ironically, I took a screenshot of the T&Cs on that same day, apparently before before they changed the language! They are so dishonest.

Going forward, I don't intend to use any of their shopping portals. I'll stick with BA, which I don't think has anything to do with Cartera.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by BeeNYC
Just a quick follow-up. Today I received a copy of Cartera's response to my New York AG inquiry. I'm now quite certain this inquiry is what caused Cartera's change of heart. I am also more convinced than ever that Cartera is a bad actor. They sent the AG what they claim to be a screenshot of their Terms and Conditions for the Apple Store. It clearly states "Orders placed through the Government Store are not eligible." The only problem is that they seem to have changed the language on 7/29, the date of their response to the AG. Ironically, I took a screenshot of the T&Cs on that same day, apparently before before they changed the language! They are so dishonest.
Glad you got the points and the AG route worked. Just for fun (and revenge), assuming Cartera’s response claimed that your purchase was not eligible due to their T&C (can’t quite tell from your msg), I would now send a follow-up to the AG’s office and show them your screenshot of the T&C, because they basically lied to the AG and you have proof.
BeeNYC likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

We're on the same page. Cartera did lie and I already sent a follow-up (including the unrevised screenshot which I previously submitted) to the AGs office. I asked them if they could send a referral to the Massachusetts AG as well. Cartera is deplorable.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old May 2, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BeeNYC
We're on the same page. Cartera did lie and I already sent a follow-up (including the unrevised screenshot which I previously submitted) to the AGs office. I asked them if they could send a referral to the Massachusetts AG as well. Cartera is deplorable.
When using the Alaska shopping portal will any CC trigger the extra miles or does it have to be an Alaska CC?
Old May 2, 2020, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by mhdena
When using the Alaska shopping portal will any CC trigger the extra miles or does it have to be an Alaska CC?
Doesn't have to be an Alaska CC - any card will do. Definitely good for stacking bonuses when pairing w/ offers on other cards. Just make sure you make your purchase from the same tab you linked to from the shopping portal, and don't use any other promo codes as these will often invalidate the purchase for earning miles.
pcoll and DrAlex like this.
Old May 2, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Doesn't have to be an Alaska CC - any card will do. Definitely good for stacking bonuses when pairing w/ offers on other cards. Just make sure you make your purchase from the same tab you linked to from the shopping portal, and don't use any other promo codes as these will often invalidate the purchase for earning miles.
Also, make sure if you use an add blocking extension in your browser (ie Chrome) you pause it for a purchase. I've missed out on over 3000 miles with that gem...
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS
Just noticed purchases from Home Depot no longer post miles. I am looking over new list of those that will get miles. Many I have used in the past are now missing from current list.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 5:02 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by pcoll
Just noticed purchases from Home Depot no longer post miles. I am looking over new list of those that will get miles. Many I have used in the past are now missing from current list.
Home depot is still working.. I have not had any deductions.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by t1c
Home depot is still working.. I have not had any deductions.
when I try to get Home Depot on shopping portal, “ Home Depot is temporarily unavailable”. I guess, they are working on new list of stores. Not on list of stores available for miles.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by pcoll
Just noticed purchases from Home Depot no longer post miles.
This is happening across most shopping portals, both miles and cashback, with the retailers most popular during the lockdowns. The portals were designed to drive extra business and right now these retailers are experiencing enough of a surge in online shopping that it's not worth paying for the business.

A few of the portals seems to be lagging behind, especially non-Cartera. I've noticed that the JetBlue, Amtrak, and MyPoints (can be transferred to UA) portals have a much wider selection.

http://cashbackmonitor.com keeps its lists up-to-date.

Home Depot, in particular, is still available right now from JetBlue (3 points/$), Amtrak (1 point/$), or MyPoints (roughy 1/3 of a UA mile per $). They are also available at Topcashback (reputable site many FT people use) at 8% cashback in certain categories.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 1:34 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Anyone have any luck shopoing through mileage plan to buy a HD gift card at Staples.com with Chase Ink card and recieving all the correct miles? Trying to maximize the mileage plan promo of 1500 miles with $500 purchase. Figure buy a $500 HD gift card from staples with my ink card, another 2500 UR pts, get the 1500 milage plan points, then a chase portal when using the gift card for another 500 UR pts. Thinking the gift card purchase might not work...but ya just never know?
Old Aug 5, 2020, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
There doesn't seem to be a master thread for Shopping Mall issues but this seems to be the closest so I'm posting here.

Is it just me or does it take a long time for MP shopping mall miles to post (if they post at all)?

I recently made a couple of purchases (ebags, LL bean) and none have posted in a timely manner. I sent a missing points request for ebags with a copy of the receipt but did not receive a response in 1-2 days as promised.

Normally I would not care much but trying to avoid expiration of miles in my child's account.

Update: Lo and behold the ebags miles posted 3-5 days after the portal responded. One down, one to go.

Originally Posted by arttravel
The individual stores often have a variation of the following warning which Apple has:

“Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site.”

Education discount is on the site but Government is not.
Wow - I assumed that the discounts and MP mall were not stackable but apparently I was wrong. Too bad as I just bought a Macbook Pro but i have to buy another one shortly so will definitely try my luck. Hopefully won't have to recycle the paperwork to the NY AG.

Last edited by Boraxo; Aug 8, 2020 at 1:21 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.