Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS service reductions. Mediocrity by a thousand cuts.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS service reductions. Mediocrity by a thousand cuts.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Wonder how much of this is actually AS policy/service reduction vs flight attendants wanting to keep service simple for themselves or a catering issue. What was the route/flight duration? I could see if it is really short and they were limited somewhat in service time further due to turbulence that they may elect to offer a more limited service vs none at all, but that wouldn't explain the flight attendant's explanation. Perhaps they were uninformed or wanted to blame policy vs their own decision.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I. It is common on shorter non-Horizon flights (such as SEA-GEG, SEA-PDX) to limit beverage service....
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Wonder how much of this is actually AS policy/service reduction vs flight attendants wanting to keep service simple for themselves...
At least some of the time, it's the latter. Speaking of short mainline flights, my wife and I were on SEA-YVR in F a few months ago. On the way up there were about six people in the cabin and the FA claimed the short duration of the trip meant no service at all, and sat out of sight reading her magazine. On the way back, same a/c, different FA, full cabin, and we had PDBs and full drink service. Weather fine on both sectors. That seems to me to be purely an FA opting not to execute to a service standard.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AS
We fly SEA/LAX 12 times a year. Last few times, dramatic change in FA attitude. Of course, the no PDB. When chatting later with FA, they indicated that they are told to no longer offer it to F passengers. OK but, that does not explain the attitude toward passengers while boarding. They huddle in front, talking among themselves. No interest in boarding passengers. Last trip, passenger in Row 6 , was calling for assistance. I was in row 2 and went up and asked if they could assist the passenger in row 6. They looked toward 6 , rolled their eyes and shrugged their shoulders. They were not interested in helping. A couple of men went back and assisted women in row 6 with bag.
My reaction, WOW. Pretty bad. LAX based crew and they could have cared less. Quality of food offerings has also declined. Protein plate size is half of what it was last year.
I am sure we will end up with just snack basket soon.
BearX220 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Premium~=Main~=Saver

Originally Posted by pcoll
If there is such a minimal food and beverage offering in Premium, I cannot place a significant incremental value on Premium over Main (and saver) fares.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:11 pm

I’m flying premium on Friday. I’ll report back.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Flew Premium ANC-PDX yesterday. Standard service, choice of two snacks, two beverage runs, 75K chocolate. Fantastic crew. The sky isn’t always falling.
lax.sea.jnu likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by Chugach
Flew Premium ANC-PDX yesterday. Standard service, choice of two snacks, two beverage runs, 75K chocolate. Fantastic crew. The sky isn’t always falling.
Good news. Flight duration ANC-PDX is approx 3.5 hours.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
At least some of the time, it's the latter. Speaking of short mainline flights, my wife and I were on SEA-YVR in F a few months ago. On the way up there were about six people in the cabin and the FA claimed the short duration of the trip meant no service at all, and sat out of sight reading her magazine. On the way back, same a/c, different FA, full cabin, and we had PDBs and full drink service. Weather fine on both sectors. That seems to me to be purely an FA opting not to execute to a service standard.
SEA-YVR on a mainline plane is scheduled for no service. PDB should be happening, but there is no scheduled service in the air. While the FA on the flight back may have seemed to be going above and beyond, s/he was also setting her peers up for failure - as seen by your comment here indicating that the other FA simply just didn't want to do the service. The company has not scheduled a beverage service on this flight that is about 20-25 min. air time.
Eastbay1K and williwaw like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
We fly SEA/LAX 12 times a year. Last few times, dramatic change in FA attitude. Of course, the no PDB. When chatting later with FA, they indicated that they are told to no longer offer it to F passengers. OK but, that does not explain the attitude toward passengers while boarding. They huddle in front, talking among themselves. No interest in boarding passengers. Last trip, passenger in Row 6 , was calling for assistance. I was in row 2 and went up and asked if they could assist the passenger in row 6. They looked toward 6 , rolled their eyes and shrugged their shoulders. They were not interested in helping. A couple of men went back and assisted women in row 6 with bag.
My reaction, WOW. Pretty bad. LAX based crew and they could have cared less. Quality of food offerings has also declined. Protein plate size is half of what it was last year.
The protein plates haven't changed as far as I've seen. Same ingredients, same amount of ingredients.... with respect to the poor performing crew, please write it up each time. Eventually someone will pay attention. Management is aware of the poor performers. They are out flying along side crews on some flights where complaints are high.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Management is aware of the poor performers. They are out flying along side crews on some flights where complaints are high.
OK, another flight in Premium, ORD-SEA, in late May... 3h 45m in the air... the first (food) cart did not appear in the aisle until 1h 40m had elapsed, and it took another 20m after that to get a drink. For almost half the flight the cabin staff were entirely not visible. Would that count as "poor performance" worthy of comment, or merely adherence to a really minimal service script?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
OK, another flight in Premium, ORD-SEA, in late May... 3h 45m in the air... the first (food) cart did not appear in the aisle until 1h 40m had elapsed, and it took another 20m after that to get a drink. For almost half the flight the cabin staff were entirely not visible. Would that count as "poor performance" worthy of comment, or merely adherence to a really minimal service script?
Can you explain how baited rhetorical questions contribute to the conversation?
AS Flyer, rickintul and pbelmore like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by fly18725

Well to be fair, it does follow a common theme which is inconsistency and management’s failure to set proper expectations and hold those not following standards to account. If one crew goes way above standards and the next crew on the same route meets or is below them and the customer never knows what to expect, this can have an impact on customer perception of the airline.

I know that that on most US airlines you don’t get much on shorter flights so if I fly first or premium, I just expect more leg room or a bigger seat. So I won’t be upset if I get nothing else worthwhile. On Ansett when they existed they had full meal and drink service on a flight from Sydney to Canberra which is less than an hour. They worked like mad and yet you could still feel relaxed and have time to finish the meal and I still remember the experience years after the airline went bankrupt. I wasn’t expecting anything and got much more. That said, if the next time I flew there was no service at all and management didn’t really care about the inconsistency, then I would be more likely frustrated—wondering whether the crew does nothing, goes above standards, or somewhere in between.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco

Well to be fair, it does follow a common theme which is inconsistency and management’s failure to set proper expectations and hold those not following standards to account. If one crew goes way above standards and the next crew on the same route meets or is below them and the customer never knows what to expect, this can have an impact on customer perception of the airline.

I know that that on most US airlines you don’t get much on shorter flights so if I fly first or premium, I just expect more leg room or a bigger seat. So I won’t be upset if I get nothing else worthwhile. On Ansett when they existed they had full meal and drink service on a flight from Sydney to Canberra which is less than an hour. They worked like mad and yet you could still feel relaxed and have time to finish the meal and I still remember the experience years after the airline went bankrupt. I wasn’t expecting anything and got much more. That said, if the next time I flew there was no service at all and management didn’t really care about the inconsistency, then I would be more likely frustrated—wondering whether the crew does nothing, goes above standards, or somewhere in between.
It is difficult to manage inconsistencies by telling employees not to try so hard or go above and beyond.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was the polar opposite of a "rhetorical question," thank you very much -- it was a request to contextualize a specific, tangible flight experience. And this whole thread is in inquiry into whether perceived service reductions / lapses / fails are: a programmed corporate strategy; acts of rebellion by staff, or diminished morale; or customers' failure to perceive what is really going on.

That is all anyone here is asking. None of us is running a macro-scope, JD Power-style scientific survey of AS service delivery. All any of us have is a bunch of anecdotes, and I've shared a few of mine.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver

It is difficult to manage inconsistencies by telling employees not to try so hard or go above and beyond.
Right, but there still need to be standards. If a flight attendant goes to a Michelin star restaurant to get take away to serve to passengers because they don’t like what AS is catering that is admirable but ultimately undermines the airline unless management decides that every flight would serve food up to the same standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.