Same-Day Flight Change from Different DC Airport

Old Jul 15, 19, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Same-Day Flight Change from Different DC Airport

I'm confirmed to fly on an AS flight from Washington Dulles (IAD), but there is plenty of room on an early flight from Reagan (DCA). I'm MVP Gold...would I be able to do a same-day flight change from a different DC airport? I know some airlines allow it, but I haven't had any luck finding info for AS.
Old Jul 15, 19, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by andrestaborda View Post
I'm confirmed to fly on an AS flight from Washington Dulles (IAD), but there is plenty of room on an early flight from Reagan (DCA). I'm MVP Gold...would I be able to do a same-day flight change from a different DC airport? I know some airlines allow it, but I haven't had any luck finding info for AS.
They don't consider them co-terminals, unfortunately. You can try, but I've had to pay fare difference for a same day change from IAD to DCA arrival, most recently in June.
Old Jul 15, 19, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
"equal and opposite anecdata" story: I was able to switch PDX-BWI to PDX-DCA at the gate (full disclosure: the Capitals were hosting a playoff game that evening, and I told the agent that I really didn't want to drag luggage thru Gallery Place station after taking the MARC train from BWI to Union Station) ... lost my F upgrade, but PC window was fine
Old Jul 15, 19, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
"equal and opposite anecdata" story: I was able to switch PDX-BWI to PDX-DCA at the gate (full disclosure: the Capitals were hosting a playoff game that evening, and I told the agent that I really didn't want to drag luggage thru Gallery Place station after taking the MARC train from BWI to Union Station) ... lost my F upgrade, but PC window was fine
You can do the coterminal change at the destination aiport. It's always impossible to change it at the departure airport for SDC.
Having said that, LAX and SFO are the only airports i know which are counted as co-terminals
Old Jul 15, 19, 3:23 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
I have done it when the SEA-BWI flight was delayed enough that there was no way I would be able to make any Marc train into WAS. They were kind enough to put me on the DCA flight, I also lost my F seat, but was into DC and my final destination 6 hours earlier. I wanted to ask last week, when the PM flight on Thursday turned into a Friday 3 pm flight due to some mx or weather thing. I would have jumped into a cab and run to DCA just to get home on two hours earlier even if it meant a middle seat in the back.
Old Jul 15, 19, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
I've only had luck with changing DC airports when there is a delay of two hours or more. In those cases, the MVP line reps were very accommodating. The two times I tried changing from IAD to DCA without any delays, the agent apologetically said no.
Old Jul 15, 19, 3:57 pm

Programs: Alaska G75k, SPG Platinum, United Silver.
I have done a SDC from the same DC airport and had to pay the difference in fare. However, last week I was swapped from SJC to SFO no charge so I think it depends on the agent.

Iím on the IAD to LAX flight tomorrow!
Old Jul 15, 19, 4:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife View Post
You can do the coterminal change at the destination aiport. It's always impossible to change it at the departure airport for SDC.
Having said that, LAX and SFO are the only airports i know which are counted as co-terminals
Would love to know more about this.

What are the coterminals for each airport (ie. is SFO co-term with only OAK, or SJC as well?)

Is the coterminal designation official and printed somewhere, or is this an internal AS thing?
Old Jul 15, 19, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Here's the list that AS published in their fare rules:

NOTE - THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME
POINT -
LGA-NYC BUR-LGB LGB-ONT LAX-LGB LGB-SNA
DCA-IAD BUR-LAX LAX-ONT LAX-SNA BUR-ONT
BUR-SNA ONT-SNA OAK-SFO SFO-SJC OAK-SJC
DCA-WAS IAD-WAS BWI-WAS JFK-NYC PAE-SEA
Old Jul 15, 19, 6:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Co-terminal status is irrelevant for same-day change. From the Alaska site (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...flight-changes):

• You must keep the same origin, destination, thru, and connection cities. Co-terminal changes are not allowed.
You can sometimes sweet talk your way into a change, but officially it is not allowed.

Neil
Old Jul 15, 19, 11:07 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
Co-terminal status is irrelevant for same-day change. From the Alaska site (https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...flight-changes):
You can sometimes sweet talk your way into a change, but officially it is not allowed.
Neil
It still says that, but there has definitely been a change in policy. I easily changed from LAX to SNA last Friday on a SDC - there was no sweet talk because I did it via text . @VegasGambler has also had multiple successful coterminal SDCs IIRC.
Old Jul 16, 19, 7:35 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by lalala View Post
I have done it when the SEA-BWI flight was delayed enough that there was no way I would be able to make any Marc train into WAS.
I think that the case of a significant delay is not relevant to voluntary SDC. Once there are IROPS, the rules go out the window.
Old Jul 16, 19, 9:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by croberts134 View Post
Here's the list that AS published in their fare rules:

NOTE - THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME
POINT -
LGA-NYC BUR-LGB LGB-ONT LAX-LGB LGB-SNA
DCA-IAD BUR-LAX LAX-ONT LAX-SNA BUR-ONT
BUR-SNA ONT-SNA OAK-SFO SFO-SJC OAK-SJC
DCA-WAS IAD-WAS BWI-WAS JFK-NYC PAE-SEA
I'm a bit annoyed because they used the "they're not co-terminals" to make the case for why I couldn't SDC from an IAD arrival to DCA a few weeks ago and had to pay to switch. On the other hand, I woke up about 5 mins before my original flight was to depart, so technically by the time I got to an agent, my ticket could have had no residual value, so the up-fare was better than a full walk-up fare so can't complain toooo much, but..
Old Jul 17, 19, 11:09 am

Another data point here - I just called and attempted to SDC from SEA-DAL to SEA-DFW. Agent said it wasn't possible without a fee because they aren't co-terminals. Kind of crazy that two airports only 16 miles apart aren't co-terminals, but BUR-SNA at 55 miles apart are co-terminals.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 17, 19, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Here is the published fare rule. It does not matter what is and is not a co-terminal because co-terminal changes are not allowed. This isn't to say that some random agent won't do this as a freebie. But, to answer OP's specific question, it is helpful to start with the policy.
  • You must keep the same origin, destination, thru, and connection cities. Co-terminal changes are not allowed.

Search this Thread