FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Is this correct calculation for BA ticket? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1978095-correct-calculation-ba-ticket.html)

estnet Jul 14, 2019 7:18 pm

Is this correct calculation for BA ticket?

I think I have this right but want to check - if I buy a ticket on BA metal whether ticketed by BA or AA then credit to AS I would get for example

First (A) class (say sfo-lhr rt around 5k miles each way)- 100 + 150 +200 percent so 45k miles credited without any bonus for AS status (which I don't have). I'd be flying to prg (the lhr -prg is in business - not sure of the class code) so I'd get some additional miles. So for a 4k dollar ticket I'd wind up with 45k miles?

PotomacApproach Jul 14, 2019 7:40 pm

I don't know about the AA piece, but yes, I'm looking to book an "A" First Class fare early next on BA SFO-LHR R/T. You should earn about 26,800 Alaska EQMs to apply to Alaska status due to the amazing 150% class of service bonus.

The 200% additional bonus suggests another 21,500 Alaska RDMs for a grand total of 48,300 Alaska redeemable miles, of which only the 26,800 above apply to Alaska status.

This is a remarkable deal. My guess is it's cheaper for AS than flying to London, but having a great incentive for it prevents top tier customers from straying to other carriers and alliances.

Mwenenzi Jul 14, 2019 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 31303741)
I think I have this right but want to check - if I buy a ticket on BA metal whether ticketed by BA or AA then credit to AS I would get for example

For "ticketed by" do you mean marketed? That is a BA or a AA flight number.
Or who issues the ticket? Ticket number 125xxxxx or 001xxxxx
The airline that markets and/or operates can make a difference

estnet Jul 14, 2019 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach (Post 31303784)
I don't know about the AA piece, but yes, I'm looking to book an "A" First Class fare early next on BA SFO-LHR R/T. You should earn about 26,800 Alaska EQMs to apply to Alaska status due to the amazing 150% class of service bonus.

The 200% additional bonus suggests another 21,500 Alaska RDMs for a grand total of 48,300 Alaska redeemable miles, of which only the 26,800 above apply to Alaska status.

This is a remarkable deal. My guess is it's cheaper for AS than flying to London, but having a great incentive for it prevents top tier customers from straying to other carriers and alliances.

I'm actually concerned about redeemable miles (sorry I should have been clear about this), thanks for the clarification. I hadn't thought about status miles but I'll see if that matters to me (it might qualify me for status that I hadn't thought about)

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31303874)
For "ticketed by" do you mean marketed? That is a BA or a AA flight number.
Or who issues the ticket? Ticket number 125xxxxx or 001xxxxx
The airline that markets and/or operates can make a difference

No I think it matters whose METAL you fly not who issued the ticket - which is what I was told and was true when I flew JL metal on an AA issued ticket credited to AS

craigthemif Jul 15, 2019 3:12 am

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 31304099)

No I think it matters whose METAL you fly not who issued the ticket - which is what I was told and was true when I flew JL metal on an AA issued ticket credited to AS

If you keep making that assumption, you'll eventually run into a situation where nobody will give you miles. The published rules say that flights must be operated and marketed. All you need is a single glitch and an agent might look up the rules and deny a retro-claim.

Avoid codeshares wherever possible.

channa Jul 15, 2019 9:58 am

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 31304099)

It doesn't matter as much who issues the ticket. It matters who markets the flight (i.e., what code you're purchasing under).

If you buy BA SFO-LHR as BAXXX then you can use the charts you used for the calculation.

If you buy BA SFO-LHR as AAXXXX, officially you get 0 miles. You may write into MileagePlan after the fact, and at their discretion, they may make an exception. But officially you get 0 miles.

Book it as the BA if you can, and make your life easier, and protect yourself.

btw, when you price the ticket at ba.com you can see the code for each leg. Typically on an A ticket like this, the intra-EU legs would be in J, which is also not insignificant accrual.

channa Jul 15, 2019 10:05 am

Here's what I estimate:

SFO-LHR = 5367 x 4.5
LHR-PRG = 651 x 3.5
PRG-LHR = 651 x 3.5
LHR-SFO = 5367 x 4.5

TOTAL RDM: 52,860

Definitely book on a BA code and don't expose yourself to any potential issues on accrual like that.

You should also have MVP status when this all posts.

mike28 Jul 15, 2019 5:13 pm

You can use the Excel calculatot tool to get the exact calculation of EQM & RDM. It is available for download at the address on this post:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31175014-post89.html

estnet Jul 15, 2019 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by channa (Post 31305659)
Here's what I estimate:

SFO-LHR = 5367 x 4.5
LHR-PRG = 651 x 3.5
PRG-LHR = 651 x 3.5
LHR-SFO = 5367 x 4.5

TOTAL RDM: 52,860

Definitely book on a BA code and don't expose yourself to any potential issues on accrual like that.

You should also have MVP status when this all posts.

Thanks, in this case I can/will definitely book on BA if I decide to go. Only for AS (I think) I was told that the metal counts not whether or not it's a code share BUT I did have major problems when I booked a JAL flight using AA ticketing - despite many times telling them to credit to AS somehow JL didn't (it got straightened out in the end but took a lot more time than I'd have liked - the reason I booked AA was the same flights were much more expensive if I had booked on JL :( )
Sadly I don't think all the miles count toward status not the 200% bonus part) and I'll be 2k short of MVP before my last flight so I'll lose some extra miles - oh well not a bad deal anyway.

estnet Jul 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by mike28 (Post 31307177)
You can use the Excel calculatot tool to get the exact calculation of EQM & RDM. It is available for download at the address on this post:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31175014-post89.html

Thanks i'll give it a try :D:)
It seems I have to use excel (which I don't have) to use it properly b/c when I try to use it with google sheets I don't seem to be able to use the various functions.