Wiki Posts
Search

Upfaring to First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 35k
Upfaring to First Class

Is it possible to buy a regular main cabin fare and then change the fare to First within the first 24 hours? I'm not talking an upgrade, I'm talking an actual purchase and changing fare purchased. I need a receipt to say Main Cabin and self-upgrading to First but I want it to be paid first so there's mileage bonus, access to Alaska lounge etc
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Is it possible to buy a regular main cabin fare and then change the fare to First within the first 24 hours? I'm not talking an upgrade, I'm talking an actual purchase and changing fare purchased. I need a receipt to say Main Cabin and self-upgrading to First but I want it to be paid first so there's mileage bonus, access to Alaska lounge etc
I'm sure if you call, they'd be happy to upfare it for you. Worst case, you could refund and re-book as a new itinerary (not sure if that would get you into hot water for your reimbursement, but an option), but I'm 85% sure they can handle, particularly since you'd be in the 24 hr fee-free cancellation/change window.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Yes, you can either call in or do it yourself via the change flight option on the website. I've done this for work purchased tickets similar to what the OP described, as well as for a family member who paid for the main cabin fare themselves.

The change fee policy does apply to upfaring so after 24 hours, without Gold or 75K status, the website will charge you for that. In the past, a live agent may waive it at their discretion. I haven't done it since the policy changed so no idea if they can still do it. Also, the 24 hour free change doesn't apply to ticket purchased less than 24 hours prior to flight.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 12:13 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by rustykettel

The change fee policy does apply to upfaring so after 24 hours, without Gold or 75K status, the website will charge you for that. In the past, a live agent may waive it at their discretion. I haven't done it since the policy changed so no idea if they can still do it. Also, the 24 hour free change doesn't apply to ticket purchased less than 24 hours prior to flight.
There is no change fee to upfare to an actual F (refundable First) fare. The change fee would apply (after 24 hours) to upfare to a P (discounted First) fare
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by missydarlin
There is no change fee to upfare to an actual F (refundable First) fare. The change fee would apply (after 24 hours) to upfare to a P (discounted First) fare
Well, let me ask: If somebody with a non-refundable then pays up to the full refundable F fare, and later, wants to ditch the flight, is that a valid method to get a refund on the original payment amount?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by FullFare
Well, let me ask: If somebody with a non-refundable then pays up to the full refundable F fare, and later, wants to ditch the flight, is that a valid method to get a refund on the original payment amount?
I thought the upfare amount was fully refundable, but looking at the fare rules of a purchased trip, maybe not?

Code:
 IN ALL CASES FOR CHANGES MADE THRU ALASKAAIR.COM OR ALASKA RESERVATIONS OR TRAVEL AGENCY 1/CHARGE APPLICABLE CHANGE FEE PLUS ANY ADDITIONAL INCREASE IN FARE LEVEL. EXCEPTION - FARES MAY BE UPGRADED TO ANY F- TYPE FARE WITHOUT COLLECTING THE CHANGE FEE. PASSENGER MUST PAY ADDITIONAL COLLECTION BETWEEN ORIGINAL FARE AND FIRST CLASS FARE. THE NEW TICKET MAY BE REFUNDED TO A CREIDT CERTIFICATE ONLY. NON-REF MUST BE SHOWN IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX OF REISSUED TICKET
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
No, the fare rules of the original ticket apply.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/le...rriage/rule-17
Under H(5) Voluntary Refunds:
Note: Any refund will be subject to fare rules of the original Ticket. A Credit certificate may be given for any Ticket that is non-refundable according to its fare rules
missydarlin likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Yes, I do it regularly.

Same reason: I can only expense Y, but often my upfare to P is around $100, which is about the same as a later upgrade (without lounge, EQM bonus, etc.) would be.

For a 3-4 hour flight, it's worth it to me. As a base MVP there's some low probability I could get the seat for free, but not enough to deter me from just buying it.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:25 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
No.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Paid Upfare to First

Hi Everyone - this is one of my first Alaska flights, I'm a big UA flyer but going to Seattle and it didn't make sense to change in SFO.

I'm booked in Main cabin - does Alaska allow you to "upfare" into First? Looking at their website, it only says within 24 hours if seats are available. UA generally allows you to upfare at any time, paying the difference in fare and no change fee.

Curious on Alaska's policy, particular if they'll try to charge be a change fee?

TIA!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Paid upgrades (if available) are within 24 hrs, while up-fares you can do at anytime. I believe if you're up-faring to discounted first (P or I fare), a change fee applies (though you may find an agent willing to waive it for you). If up-faring to full F fare, they should waive the change fee. More detail in this thread: Does AS charge a change fee to up-fare to F?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if you're within 24 hours of the original booking they won't impose the $125 change fee; otherwise, a non-status passenger will be at the mercy of the phone or counter agent
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:20 pm

Thanks for the two quick replies! Yes, I'm within 24 hours and have no status. I'll make a phone call...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One thing to keep in mind is that your can only make one change within 24hr.

Technically you are better off cancelling (for full refund) and rebooking so you would get a new 24 hr window. Although, the window is so short that it's not a huge difference
channa likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:49 pm

The issue I had was I'm traveling for work and have to book coach initially. As a quick update I was able to call in within the 24 hour window and no issues with the upfare, which was $110 for SBA-SEA. Got right through to a pleasant agent with no hold time either.

As a data point, the return fare is UA SEA-SFO-SBA, and they're almost double the upfare charge (passed on that).

Thanks again,
- Tom

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.