Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Should Alaska Lounge Access Be Inclued With the AS / BofA Visa?

Should Alaska Lounge Access Be Inclued With the AS / BofA Visa?

Old Jul 11, 19, 1:26 pm
  #1  
tgi
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6
Should Alaska Lounge Access Be Inclued With the AS / BofA Visa?

Who thinks access to this lounge should be included with their credit card.
tgi is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 1:31 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Posts: 621
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
Who thinks access to this lounge should be included with their credit card.
Not at all. So many people, particularly in SEA have the AS credit card, this lounge would just revert back to the Priority Pass capacity sign being out all the time. If they debuted a "premium" version of the card, with a higher annual fee and other benefits (with things like reduced change/cancellation fees, early boarding, a GGU or two, AL access, bonus mile earning, EQM credits, etc etc), I could see that being possible. But at $99 annual fee and at their home base, that would be way too many potential guests.
JacksonFlyer likes this.
be_rettSEA is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 1:35 pm
  #3  
tgi
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post
Not at all. So many people, particularly in SEA have the AS credit card, this lounge would just revert back to the Priority Pass capacity sign being out all the time. If they debuted a "premium" version of the card, with a higher annual fee and other benefits (with things like reduced change/cancellation fees, early boarding, a GGU or two, AL access, bonus mile earning, EQM credits, etc etc), I could see that being possible. But at $99 annual fee and at their home base, that would be way too many potential guests.
Totally understandable. Are the PP lounges at SEA overcrowded all the time now? SEA is my home airport too and I'll be getting the AS card soon. Do you think 50% off the AS lounge is better value than the PP lounges at SEA?
tgi is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 1:44 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: LAX
Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Posts: 621
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
Totally understandable. Are the PP lounges at SEA overcrowded all the time now? SEA is my home airport too and I'll be getting the AS card soon. Do you think 50% off the AS lounge is better value than the PP lounges at SEA?
When I was still SEA based, AS lounges in SEA were still PP, so never used the other PP options there. But I've used similar in other cities and they aren't fantastic. While the Alaska Lounges are decent, they're definitely not the best lounges out there either, but at least they're close to Alaska gates. The other SEA PP lounges are a bit of a hike. Depends on how much $25 is worth to you and how much you've already sunk in to your PP membership, but IMO $25 isn't a bad deal for a comfy and quieter place to sit, a few drinks, some coffee and a light bite to eat nearby my boarding gate, especially in the brand new lounge.
be_rettSEA is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 2:39 pm
  #5  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,871
Should Alaska Lounge Access Be Inclued in the AS/BofA Visa?

Moderator Note: New topic for moved posts.

dayone, AS Moderator
Flying for Fun likes this.
dayone is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 3:16 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MM, MVPGold75k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 1,248
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA View Post
Not at all. So many people, particularly in SEA have the AS credit card, this lounge would just revert back to the Priority Pass capacity sign being out all the time. If they debuted a "premium" version of the card, with a higher annual fee and other benefits (with things like reduced change/cancellation fees, early boarding, a GGU or two, AL access, bonus mile earning, EQM credits, etc etc), I could see that being possible. But at $99 annual fee and at their home base, that would be way too many potential guests.
Wouldn't that make having status not worth actually flying the miles if you get all the benefits by just having the CC?
Flying for Fun likes this.
ctporter is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 3:29 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,274
Typically the credit card issuer (bank) subsidizes the cost of the membership. That is why membership in a UC, SC, or AC is more expensive through direct payment than through the relevant CC's annual fee.

The question is whether BOA would be willing to subsidize the annual fee of $450 and thus provide its card for $350-400. The question then becomes whether there is a market for the card at that price and finally whether there is capacity.

So, the better question for this board is, "would you pay $400 for the card if it included access?"
be_rettSEA likes this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:09 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,487
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
So, the better question for this board is, "would you pay $400 for the card if it included access?"
Like the Citi Exec that comes with, say, a first year 40K or 50K bonus? Sure, will sign up and just close it the following year.
Visconti is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:10 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MM, MVPGold75k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Posts: 1,248
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Typically the credit card issuer (bank) subsidizes the cost of the membership. That is why membership in a UC, SC, or AC is more expensive through direct payment than through the relevant CC's annual fee.
The question is whether BOA would be willing to subsidize the annual fee of $450 and thus provide its card for $350-400. The question then becomes whether there is a market for the card at that price and finally whether there is capacity.
So, the better question for this board is, "would you pay $400 for the card if it included access?"
So, I could potentially get benefits of a FF which would be the No Change Fees, Early Boarding, Priority Lane at Security, 4 GGus, an unspecified bonus for class of service (100% bonus for MVPG or 125% bonus for 75k), companion upgrade with me, premium beverage in main cabin, 2 checked bags (plus 2 for a companion) just by paying $350 - 400 for the AS credit card. My math says that $400 is CHEAP for all that, I can't get to MVPG for only $350 or $400. So obviously all the benefits would not be included, but it intesting to speculate if the CC would be worth not worrying about achieving status - depending on which benefits the card would give.
be_rettSEA, chrisl137 and pcoll like this.
ctporter is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:20 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,487
Originally Posted by ctporter View Post
Wouldn't that make having status not worth actually flying the miles if you get all the benefits by just having the CC?
Right, like the Hilton Diamond thing, why bother about actual stays? Just get the Aspire and enjoy the free night, bonus points all the assorted travel credits/benefits.
BearX220 likes this.
Visconti is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:40 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 258
I could not imagine how crowded the lounge(s) would be if that was a benefit of the AS Visa card. Heck, even the Centurion Lounges are crazy at times.
be_rettSEA and ctporter like this.
JacksonFlyer is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:46 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,487
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer View Post
I could not imagine how crowded the lounge(s) would be if that was a benefit of the AS Visa card. Heck, even the Centurion Lounges are crazy at times.
If I were an Airport restauranteur, I'd be lobbying for this, because eventually that's where we'll all be headed.
JacksonFlyer likes this.
Visconti is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:47 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Programs: Alaska Airlines
Posts: 421
Free lounge access will never be an option on the existing BofA card... the annual fee is just too cheap, the card is too common, and the lounges wouldn't be able to handle the capacity. Plus BofA would be taking a bath on the subsidizing the annual lounge fee.

As with some other cards, who have offered a "premium" version of the airline cards in the price range of $400-$500, then maybe lounge access would be included. But like those other premium cards, it'd have to have some other pretty nice perks. There was a thread awhile back where people daydreamed about what features such a card might include.
nearlysober is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 4:58 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 407
Not now that the discount is a permanent feature. For me, the $25 discounted entry is a perfect balance. I don't fly enough Y fares to warrant the lounge membership (or the high annual fee that would accompany the card), but enough to have the $25 discount come in handy.
RAD_PDX is offline  
Old Jul 11, 19, 5:17 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 2,044
The easy solution to overcrowding if they did give credit card holders lounge access would be to turn the entire area where Alaska gates are into one huge lounge. Then convert the current lounges into holding pens for those without lounge access, complete with armed escorts to and from the gates so they don't cause any trouble in the "lounge."
alphaeagle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread