Question on canceling a Saver Fare

Old Jul 10, 19, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Question on canceling a Saver Fare

So, I do have access to the internet but not a phone until later tonight, hence I am posting this now. Hoping someone can answer this before I call Customer Service tonight.

Scenario:
Booked a one way out of SEA to LAS. Then I booked a one way out of LAS to PAE (new airport 40 miles north of SEA). So basically I am flying RT staying a week in LAS. However, each flight is on a different reservation number. Both are Saver Fares which is my problem.

Problem:
Family emergency, which I will spare you the details, came up. Life happens and we didn't see this comming. We cannot fly out (SEA to LAS) on the day we booked. However, we could fly out 4 days later and book one way PAE to LAS ( or I could book Southwest but prefer Alaska) and then fly home on the LAS to PAE one way originally booked.

Question:
I totally "get" we will lose the cost of the one way SEA to LAS by not showing and that was clear when we booked. It was something like 90 bucks. And the cost of the PAE to LAS 4 days later is more, I am fine with that too so we can salvage some of our trip. I have read the policy on the no shows and it mentions that if we don't show, all other flights will be cancelled. So, my question is since both of the original bookings were made separately, have different reservation numbers and the rtn not to SEA but PAE, will my original rtn flight LAS to PAE also be cancelled? Will my new PAE to LAS flight which I hope to book tonight then be cancelled too?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old Jul 10, 19, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Welcome to FlyerTalk! Only later flights in the same reservation are cancelled due to no-show. So your "return" one way booking to PAE will stay as booked. If you book a new flight on Alaska to travel instead of your original, that too will stay intact.

Given there's no value of the ticket you're going to no-show for, I'd leave it as is (not tell Alaska you're cancelling) and hope that there is a cancellation or schedule change that allows you to keep some of the value, but otherwise, you're out the $ you paid for that.
Old Jul 10, 19, 12:52 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Any other flights on the same ticket/reservation would be canceled. Since yours were booked separately, your return won't be affected.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
@Lineaway, do you have any status with Alaska? Even if it wasn't a Saver fare the change/cancal fee for anyone without a fee waiver is more than the value of the ticket. If you had status, AS generally has been excellent in my experience in accommodating Elites. If not, a simple now show is probably the best route to go. As mentioned, a last minute schedule change or an oversell may give you opportunity to get a refund. AS has even changed the name on a companion ticket for me on a return segment and made me the primary traveler.

James
Old Jul 10, 19, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I was hoping you would answer the way you did.

Unfortunately I only fly about 4 to 5 times a year so my status on any airline is close to nil. My hope was the separate bookings would be my saving grace.
Old Jul 10, 19, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by Lineaway View Post
Wow, thanks for the quick responses. I was hoping you would answer the way you did.
Unfortunately I only fly about 4 to 5 times a year so my status on any airline is close to nil. My hope was the separate bookings would be my saving grace.
On Saver fares, yes. If you had booked standard main cabin fares, had individual bookings and needed to change both flights, you'd be paying double the change fees.
Old Jul 10, 19, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Seems like a simple loophole to avoid paying a cancellation fee or having another flight cancelled. Wonder if their reservation system could easily be programed to watch for that? Hopefully not in the next few weeks.
Old Jul 10, 19, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Lineaway View Post
Seems like a simple loophole to avoid paying a cancellation fee or having another flight cancelled. Wonder if their reservation system could easily be programed to watch for that? Hopefully not in the next few weeks.
I don't see this changing, and I don't consider it a loophole, either - it's the way the rules have been since change fees were introduced. It also works in reverse - if you have a fully-refundable fare paired with a non-refundable fare (not saver, since you can only pair a saver with a saver), it's better to split it up into two reservations since refundable fares become non-refundable when on the same reservation as a more restrictive fare.

Someday I would love to be MVPG so that I never had to worry about any of this.

Search this Thread