Help deciphering JL/AA mileage credit

Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:25 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Help deciphering JL/AA mileage credit

So I recently flew JFK-NRT-KUL-NRT-LAX on JL metal, ticketed on AA. AA receipt says "I" class. JL boarding passes say "C". I know about the history of AS codeshare crediting (technically not allowed, but they usually do it if both carriers are partners), so I submit everything to AS for manual credit. I'm MVPG. Week or so later, here's what posts:

JAPAN AIRLINES Flight 62 NRT LAX
Base: 5,451, Bonus: 12,265
Actual miles flown: 5440

JAPAN AIRLINES Flight 723 NRT KUL
Base: 2,838, Bonus 2,838
Actual miles flown: 3350

JAPAN AIRLINES Flight 3 JFK NRT
Base: 5,734, Bonus: 5,734
Actual miles flown: 6730

None of this makes *any* sense to me using any chart. Relevant charts:

JL C: 100% base, 25% COS bonus, 100% additional
JL I: 70% base, 100% additional bonus
AA I: 100% base, 50% COS bonus

Can anyone decipher what's happening here? Or is the support agent just posting random stuff? Only the first flight -- NRT-LAX -- looks even close to correct. The others just seem like random numbers. I'm slightly hesitant to complain because this is technically not allowed, and I don't want to raise flags. Hoping perhaps the wisdom of FlyerTalk has insights. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by _fx
So I recently flew JFK-NRT-KUL-NRT-LAX on JL metal, ticketed on AA. AA receipt says "I" class. JL boarding passes say "C". I know about the history of AS codeshare crediting (technically not allowed, but they usually do it if both carriers are partners), so I submit everything to AS for manual credit. I'm MVPG. Week or so later, here's what posts:

JAPAN AIRLINES Flight 62 NRT LAX
Base: 5,451, Bonus: 12,265
Actual miles flown: 5440

JAPAN AIRLINES Flight 723 NRT KUL
Base: 2,838, Bonus 2,838
Actual miles flown: 3350

JAPAN AIRLINES Flight 3 JFK NRT
Base: 5,734, Bonus: 5,734
Actual miles flown: 6730

None of this makes *any* sense to me using any chart. Relevant charts:

JL C: 100% base, 25% COS bonus, 100% additional
JL I: 70% base, 100% additional bonus
AA I: 100% base, 50% COS bonus

Can anyone decipher what's happening here? Or is the support agent just posting random stuff? Only the first flight -- NRT-LAX -- looks even close to correct. The others just seem like random numbers. I'm slightly hesitant to complain because this is technically not allowed, and I don't want to raise flags. Hoping perhaps the wisdom of FlyerTalk has insights. Thanks in advance.
Were they all AA flight numbers? If you could provide the actual flight numbers and booked class for each segment, it would be easier to decipher.

The operating airline charts prevail so the AA 150% + Elit bonus would not be applicable unless a segment was flown on AA metal.

James

EDIT: It appears some of the segments were credited from the JL domestic chart. I earns 85% JFK-NRT is 6745 × 0.85 = 5734. NRT-KUL 3357 × .85 = 2853.
_fx likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 9, 2019 at 7:52 pm
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:46 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Were they all AA flight numbers? If you could provide the actual flight numbers and booked class for each segment, it would be easier to decipher.

James
AA receipt says Business (I) for all segments and has the following flight #s :

AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY JAPAN AIRLINES 8495 JFK New York NRT Tokyo
AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY JAPAN AIRLINES 8415 NRT Tokyo KUL Kuala Lumpur
AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY JAPAN AIRLINES 8416 KUL Kuala Lumpur NRT Tokyo
AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY JAPAN AIRLINES 8408 NRT Tokyo LAX Los Angeles

JL ticket says "C" class, the JL flight numbers, and "Sold as AA XXXX"

Hope that's enough info. Thanks again.

Edit: If it would help, willing to PM the actual ticket (prefer not to post publicly, obviously).
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by _fx
AA receipt says Business (I) for all segments and has the following flight #s :

AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY JAPAN AIRLINES 8495 JFK New York NRT Tokyo
AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY JAPAN AIRLINES 8415 NRT Tokyo KUL Kuala Lumpur
AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY JAPAN AIRLINES 8416 KUL Kuala Lumpur NRT Tokyo
AMERICAN AIRLINES OPERATED BY JAPAN AIRLINES 8408 NRT Tokyo LAX Los Angeles

JL ticket says "C" class, the JL flight numbers, and "Sold as AA XXXX"

Hope that's enough info. Thanks again.

Edit: If it would help, willing to PM the actual ticket (prefer not to post publicly, obviously).
See edit to my post upthread.

If you want to pm me a contact, I can determine what should have posted for you.

James.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:26 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
See edit to my post upthread.

If you want to pm me a contact, I can determine what should have posted for you.

James.
Wow, you are totally right. Did not see that down the JL page. Definitely wrong, but at least makes a ton of sense.

PM'd you the additional info. I would like to contact AS to get the mileage updated with the correct numbers.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by _fx
Wow, you are totally right. Did not see that down the JL page. Definitely wrong, but at least makes a ton of sense.

PM'd you the additional info. I would like to contact AS to get the mileage updated with the correct numbers.
James can probably advise you better, but I would be careful here unless your goal is solely to get the technically correct number of miles. My impression is that JL generically refers to business class as “C”, just as many airlines generically refer to economy as “Y”, so the fact that C appears on your boarding pass and/or itinerary does not mean that it booked into the C fare class (any more than having a Y appear means that you booked a refundable economy ticket). It sounds more like it booked into I, and AS made a mistake in your favor, so if you ask them to review it they may correct it from 85% miles flown to 70% miles flown.

As someone who flew codeshares earlier this year (AY and BA), I can tell you that it can be difficult to figure out the operating carrier fare class unless you know exactly where to look.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:48 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milypan

James can probably advise you better, but I would be careful here unless your goal is solely to get the technically correct number of miles. My impression is that JL generically refers to business class as “C”, just as many airlines generically refer to economy as “Y”, so the fact that C appears on your boarding pass and/or itinerary does not mean that it booked into the C fare class (any more than having a Y appear means that you booked a refundable economy ticket). It sounds more like it booked into I, and AS made a mistake in your favor, so if you ask them to review it they may correct it from 85% miles flown to 70% miles flown.

As someone who flew codeshares earlier this year (AY and BA), I can tell you that it can be difficult to figure out the operating carrier fare class unless you know exactly where to look.
Good point. That said ... I domestic is 85% base, while I int'l on is 70% base, 100% additional bonus ... so I guess it'd depend on your earning goals. In my case, I think I could give up 15% EQM in exchange for the 100% RDM bonus. But, like you mentioned, it might be smart to be careful. I didn't get a horrible deal for something that's technically not allowed.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by _fx
Good point. That said ... I domestic is 85% base, while I int'l on is 70% base, 100% additional bonus ... so I guess it'd depend on your earning goals. In my case, I think I could give up 15% EQM in exchange for the 100% RDM bonus. But, like you mentioned, it might be smart to be careful. I didn't get a horrible deal for something that's technically not allowed.
Ah, didn’t realize there was a bonus present for intl but not domestic. Yeah I’d probably trade 1 RDM for 0.15 EQM in most years too.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by _fx
I will get back to you soon. Currently in the air back to Seattle. In my experience, when AS has made an error in my favour and I have brought it to their attention, they have allowed it anyway. I take the "you gave me extra here, but shorted me here" approach if the final outcome is still to my benefit.

James
allset2travel and Visconti like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:03 am

Did your miles post automatically or did you have to manually request them?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:20 am

If you want to pursue it you might find this thread useful:

Alaska Denied mile credit from AA codeshare BA operated flight

You can get the credit over email, but it may take some time.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by milypan

As stated above, you don't have a JL fare class. Cause you don't have a JL fare. You have an AA fare.
"C" on the boarding pass isn't a fare class. Just means business class. Just like if you have a "Y" it doesn't mean you bought a full-fledged non-restricted economy fare
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by _fx
Why would you want that? The correct numbers are 0.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:01 pm
_fx
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Visconti
Did your miles post automatically or did you have to manually request them?
Manual request.
Originally Posted by s0ssos
As stated above, you don't have a JL fare class. Cause you don't have a JL fare. You have an AA fare.
"C" on the boarding pass isn't a fare class. Just means business class. Just like if you have a "Y" it doesn't mean you bought a full-fledged non-restricted economy fare
I get that, and I expected it to credit according to I. But the mile posted didn't match I -- they were higher -- so I was posting any possible options I felt AS could've considered. I didn't notice the JL I domestic chart that James pointed out, which solved the mystery.
Originally Posted by channa
Obviously what I mean is, "I'd like it to credit in the sensible way almost everyone on this board says AS typically credits it."
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by channa
AS has already allowed the credit as they traditionally have for most manual credit codeshare requests, so, in this case, the correct numbers are not Zero!

It is apparent that the incorrect charts were used in the manual credit. If the credit was allowed and erroneous, should we just ignore it?

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.