Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines diverted our flight - anyone know about cash compensation?

Alaska Airlines diverted our flight - anyone know about cash compensation?

Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: Alaska G75k, SPG Platinum, United Silver.
Sorry you missed your 4th. That doesn’t sound like a fun travel day, but weather is really out of the airlines control and $250 or $1,000 is more than they needed to do. I’d take $250 as full compensation.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by Patricia722
They deplaned us in Columbus because of union regulations that state the flight crew could not work more than a 13 hour shift. When we landed in Columbus, they had already worked 12 hours, we waited on the tarmac for another hour, then they deplaned us because they could not receive clearance to return to Dulles and their shift had ended. Even if they received clearance to return, there was no one to fly the plane.
Still interested in just HOW they said they would get you to the destination? If they did NOT offer SOME answer to that then you likely have a real case against them. ( If OTOH they offered flights to you - next day perhaps? - ...and you CHOSE to rent a car instead...then..no.)
nancypants and DCP2016 like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:38 am

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by trooper
Still interested in just HOW they said they would get you to the destination? If they did NOT offer SOME answer to that then you likely have a real case against them. ( If OTOH they offered flights to you - next day perhaps? - ...and you CHOSE to rent a car instead...then..no.)

I will presume this group of 4 were not the only people on the plane. This was likely a full or nearly full plane. I will then presume that AS likely prepared to move a crew into Columbus In the morning to move the piece of equipment to intended destination. Therefore AS would have been able to fulfill their obligation.

But this is just a guess. I doubt that AS gave everyone on the flight 250. The car rental and driving is a personal choice. I suspect the car rental one way was not 1000k.

Finally did AS get you home? I suspect they didn’t cancel your ticket and you got home on AS.

Overall weather sucks and is inconvenient but I value my family much more than anything. 13 hours is a long work day for some people and I would state that 13 hours for a pilot and crew is a reasonable limit for safety.
trooper likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
So it looks like we are talking about AS1084 SFO-IAD. The aircraft returned to SFO the following morning without ever continuing on to DC. In that case I would think they are entitled to reimbursement for the car and probably the goodwill gesture they received.

Looks like the return flight AS1077 from IAD was cancelled on 7/4. It also appears that on 7/5 they up gauged to an A321, probably to add more passengers that had been stranded at IAD.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by jsguyrus; Jul 10, 2019 at 12:14 pm
Old Jul 10, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
So they just stranded a planeload of people in the middle of Ohio?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:02 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Its possible they sent a rescue plane from an east coast location, but I cant find it on flightaware. I know the original aircraft returned to SFO.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I think this is the question that many posters are asking of the OP; what did they tell you when you deplaned? My "guess" is that if the equipment did not go forward, then the offer was made to book the passengers on other airlines the following day....but I have no idea if that happened. I would find it hard to believe (though some here would disagree) that AS would just dump passengers without trying to get them to their original destination; whether they pay for hotel, etc. I do not know, but I am pretty sure they were booking passengers through in a time that may not have worked for the OP.....I hope they comment.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Risk of flying AS east of the Rockies where they don’t have backup crews or planes. Had a 12 hour delay at IAD a month or so ago while they waited to get us a plane from the West Coast.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shouldn't the OP also get a full refund? After all they had a ticket to get from point A to point B and AS did not take them from point A to point B

The $250 is about in line with the compensation that AS usually gives in situations like this. It's not required but it's standard for them.

As far as arriving a day late... stuff like that happens when you fly. If it's really important to be somewhere on a certain day, fly a day or two earlier. Arriving a day after your scheduled arrival is not all that uncommon.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Shouldn't the OP also get a full refund? After all they had a ticket to get from point A to point B and AS did not take them from point A to point B

The $250 is about in line with the compensation that AS usually gives in situations like this. It's not required but it's standard for them.

As far as arriving a day late... stuff like that happens when you fly. If it's really important to be somewhere on a certain day, fly a day or two earlier. Arriving a day after your scheduled arrival is not all that uncommon.
There's no doubt in my mind that AS provided an alternative means of getting everyone to the final destination, though it may not have been ideal or acceptable to OP. I just can't fathom Alaska landing elsewhere due to weather and saying "sorry, we're pretty close, best of luck. no refunds" and that being the end of it. Perhaps OP didn't wait around to hear what the alternative was and doesn't know, or isn't monitoring these forums today to provide an update as to what was offered by AS.
moondog, AS Flyer, dayone and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
There's no doubt in my mind that AS provided an alternative means of getting everyone to the final destination, though it may not have been ideal or acceptable to OP. I just can't fathom Alaska landing elsewhere due to weather and saying "sorry, we're pretty close, best of luck. no refunds" and that being the end of it. Perhaps OP didn't wait around to hear what the alternative was and doesn't know, or isn't monitoring these forums today to provide an update as to what was offered by AS.
It seems like if you turn down the alternate accommodations you should still get a refund.

If my flight is canceled, and they offer me a flight the next day, and I refuse, I can cancel for a full refund.

I understand that this is a little different because they got part-way there. OP probably could have claimed "trip in vain" and gotten a full refund and free transportation back home from the mid-way point... and they are asking for less than that.

Personally I would call (not email) AS customer care. I find that their agents are usually pretty accommodating. I'm not sure how much of this is due to status and how much is just regular policy. Still, emailing is likely to get you a canned response that may or may not have any bearing on the message that you wrote. On the other hands that phone agents are really good at listening, explaining the situation, and offering what I've always considered to be more than reasonable. They also seem to have a fair amount of discretion.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 10:51 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
OP probably could have claimed "trip in vain" and gotten a full refund and free transportation back home from the mid-way point.
"Trip in Vain," like "Rule 240," is airline jargon that sometimes gets used without being fully understood. It is more of a guideline than a policy.

There is no guarantee that an airline will issue a full refund for a Trip in Vain if the delay or cancellation is outside its control (e.g., weather).
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
It happened again today (AS 266 SFO-EWR). The flight was diverted to BOS, canceled upon landing, and passengers were NOT offered alternative flights, with weather cited as the excuse. This is according to a report from a friend.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...650Z/KSFO/KBOS

Last edited by jjmadison; Jul 21, 2019 at 7:54 pm
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by jjmadison
It happened again today (AS 266 SFO-EWR). The flight was diverted to BOS, canceled upon landing, and passengers were NOT offered alternative flights, with weather cited as the excuse. This is according to a report from a friend.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...650Z/KSFO/KBOS

Pity it wasn’t PHL, which is at least a shortish train ride from EWR (albeit with a change from SEPTA to Amtrak).
Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP
The plane is being posited BOS-EWR tomorrow morning for the recovery segment EWR-SFO. Passengers on tonight's EWR-SFO were offered booking on the recovery segment or other airlines/AS flights either tonight or tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.