AS blog posting on Sea-Tac

Old Jul 9, 19, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

AS blog posting on Sea-Tac

Interesting, and much more detailed than the usual blog posting:
https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...ite-expansion/

However, while it mentions that Sea-Tac was briefly re-named the Henry M. Jackson International Airport "for about six months in 1984," it makes no mention of why that name didn't stick! As I recall, it was because the ward heelers of Tacoma viewed the renaming after Senator Jackson as somehow detracting from Tacoma! Scoop was from Everett, but he made an effort to represent the entire state.
Nurse Traveler likes this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 11:19 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
It was a requirement of the initial funding provided by the City of Tacoma to always be included in the name of the airport.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Seattle%...tional_Airport
After the death of U.S. Senator Henry Martin "Scoop" Jackson in 1983, the Seattle Port Commission voted to change the name of the airport to Henry M. Jackson International Airport. Citizens of Tacomainterpreted the change as an insult to their community—the second time in the airport's history that the port authorities had attempted to remove "Tacoma" from the name. The $100,000 that Tacoma had provided for the airport's construction during World War II had come with an explicit promise that the city would be included in the airport's name. An additional complicating factor was the existence of another Jackson International Airport (now Jackson–Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport) in Jackson, Mississippi, whose management threatened legal action to preserve its exclusive use of the name. The controversy was resolved after polls of Seattle and Tacoma area residents indicated their preference for the original name by margins as much as 5:1. Helen Jackson, the widow of the late Senator Henry M. Jackson, expressed her desire that their family remain neutral in the debate. With a 3–2 vote of the Port of Seattle Commission, the name was reverted to Sea–Tac in early 1984.[12]
AndyPatterson likes this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 1:27 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Neat article, thanks for linking it.

I like the "dozen beer taps" mention in the new N lounge. After my last few trips of using partner lounges at destinations where the free beer consists of yellow water... I already appreciated the fact that AS has a few good micro-brews on tap but the N lounge sounds like it'll be better than most bars

Too bad they didn't go with glass jetways during the remodel. Maybe the rules weren't changed in time for the construction planning? That would've been nice.

Search this Thread