Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

I miss free MVPG changes, can I match back as a DL Plat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K

I'm about to make DL Plat due to credit card MQMs and have been a paid F free agent the last two years since I let my MVPG status lapse.

I just had to reschedule a trip twice due to a friend who has health issues, and am happy to accommodate his schedule. However, I'm getting killed by change fees and refundable tickets on other airlines are too $$$. On top of that, my int'l flying to the UK, Australia, and Japan is about to increase, and I would love to earn EQMs to SYD and NRT/HND out of SFO, without having to fly down/up to LAX or SEA.

As long as the free change benefit is ok, I don't care about upgrades, think I'll come back to MVPG. Will they match me back if I'm DL Plat?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
DL plat matches to AS MVP Gold 75K.

You mention getting to plat with card spend. The T&C for AS status match states: "A status match is only offered to members who have achieved elite status through actual flight miles or segments in another program. Status granted based on credit card activity, transferred points, or any other promotional offer is not eligible for a status match."

Read more here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...s-from-heading
JPat, Flying for Fun and jinglish like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Thanks for the response. I actually don’t want to be 75K or DL Diamond because I fly a lot of paid F and would rather not be a slave to one airline. I’d rather fly Virgin Atlantic to LHR and credit Delta, Qantas to SYD and credit Alaska. Same with JAL to TYO. I’ll fly up to MVPG next year and keep my DL Plat.

Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Various
They might match you, but be aware AS only allows ONE status match per LIFETIME. Use your one match wisely.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
Thanks for the response. I actually don’t want to be 75K or DL Diamond because I fly a lot of paid F and would rather not be a slave to one airline. I’d rather fly Virgin Atlantic to LHR and credit Delta, Qantas to SYD and credit Alaska. Same with JAL to TYO. I’ll fly up to MVPG next year and keep my DL Plat.

Just out of interest, if you pay first, isn't that a refundable ticket? Or is it a type of first fee that does not allow changes?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
Just out of interest, if you pay first, isn't that a refundable ticket? Or is it a type of first fee that does not allow changes?
I/P are non-refundable first class fares.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On AS, for first class tickets, only F is refundable. I and P are not refundable and are subject to change fees. This is pretty common across airlines -- only full fare is refundable with no change fees.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
On AS, for first class tickets, only F is refundable. I and P are not refundable and are subject to change fees. This is pretty common across airlines -- only full fare is refundable with no change fees.
DL has had *some* P fares that were refundable and some nonrefundable, sometimes in the same market, but now DL uses G A P for PS (premium economy) so that the domestic FC fares are Z I D C and J (traditionally used for international business class) to add confusion.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:56 pm

Almost all first-class fares aren't refundable. The vast majority of fares aren't refundable. Refundable economy is usually more expensive than a regular first fare.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL has had *some* P fares that were refundable and some nonrefundable, sometimes in the same market, but now DL uses G A P for PS (premium economy) so that the domestic FC fares are Z I D C and J (traditionally used for international business class) to add confusion.
I assume that those (discount refundable fares) have a fee, though, right?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
My absolute favorite aspect of AS as my carrier is the refundability and flexibility of MVPG member tickets combined with upgrade opportunities. For someone like me who needs the flexibility to move flights to different dates as my paramount concern, you can't beat any other US airline in terms of cost (no change fees!!!) and quality (the ability to get some kind of premium class upgrade or service that is much better on long haul flights when compared to WN, the only other flexible ticket airline).
be_rettSEA and NoLaGent like this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
My absolute favorite aspect of AS as my carrier is the refundability and flexibility of MVPG member tickets combined with upgrade opportunities. For someone like me who needs the flexibility to move flights to different dates as my paramount concern, you can't beat any other US airline in terms of cost (no change fees!!!) and quality (the ability to get some kind of premium class upgrade or service that is much better on long haul flights when compared to WN, the only other flexible ticket airline).
Definitely, free changes are the highlights of MVPG. It has saved me several hundred dollars this year (mostly from free SDCs allowing me to book the cheapest flight of the day, but also a flight cancellation when something else came up)
be_rettSEA and NoLaGent like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.