FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   I miss free MVPG changes, can I match back as a DL Plat? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1977175-i-miss-free-mvpg-changes-can-i-match-back-dl-plat.html)

PotomacApproach Jul 7, 2019 6:51 pm

I miss free MVPG changes, can I match back as a DL Plat?

I'm about to make DL Plat due to credit card MQMs and have been a paid F free agent the last two years since I let my MVPG status lapse.

I just had to reschedule a trip twice due to a friend who has health issues, and am happy to accommodate his schedule. However, I'm getting killed by change fees and refundable tickets on other airlines are too $$$. On top of that, my int'l flying to the UK, Australia, and Japan is about to increase, and I would love to earn EQMs to SYD and NRT/HND out of SFO, without having to fly down/up to LAX or SEA.

As long as the free change benefit is ok, I don't care about upgrades, think I'll come back to MVPG. Will they match me back if I'm DL Plat?

RAD_PDX Jul 7, 2019 7:16 pm

DL plat matches to AS MVP Gold 75K.

You mention getting to plat with card spend. The T&C for AS status match states: "A status match is only offered to members who have achieved elite status through actual flight miles or segments in another program. Status granted based on credit card activity, transferred points, or any other promotional offer is not eligible for a status match."

Read more here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...s-from-heading

PotomacApproach Jul 7, 2019 7:51 pm

Thanks for the response. I actually don’t want to be 75K or DL Diamond because I fly a lot of paid F and would rather not be a slave to one airline. I’d rather fly Virgin Atlantic to LHR and credit Delta, Qantas to SYD and credit Alaska. Same with JAL to TYO. I’ll fly up to MVPG next year and keep my DL Plat.

Robt760 Jul 8, 2019 12:03 pm

They might match you, but be aware AS only allows ONE status match per LIFETIME. Use your one match wisely.

JacksonFlyer Jul 8, 2019 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by PotomacApproach (Post 31279808)
Thanks for the response. I actually don’t want to be 75K or DL Diamond because I fly a lot of paid F and would rather not be a slave to one airline. I’d rather fly Virgin Atlantic to LHR and credit Delta, Qantas to SYD and credit Alaska. Same with JAL to TYO. I’ll fly up to MVPG next year and keep my DL Plat.

Just out of interest, if you pay first, isn't that a refundable ticket? Or is it a type of first fee that does not allow changes?

RAD_PDX Jul 8, 2019 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer (Post 31282274)
Just out of interest, if you pay first, isn't that a refundable ticket? Or is it a type of first fee that does not allow changes?

I/P are non-refundable first class fares.

VegasGambler Jul 8, 2019 12:45 pm

On AS, for first class tickets, only F is refundable. I and P are not refundable and are subject to change fees. This is pretty common across airlines -- only full fare is refundable with no change fees.

MSPeconomist Jul 8, 2019 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 31282315)
On AS, for first class tickets, only F is refundable. I and P are not refundable and are subject to change fees. This is pretty common across airlines -- only full fare is refundable with no change fees.

DL has had *some* P fares that were refundable and some nonrefundable, sometimes in the same market, but now DL uses G A P for PS (premium economy) so that the domestic FC fares are Z I D C and J (traditionally used for international business class) to add confusion.

s0ssos Jul 8, 2019 12:56 pm

Almost all first-class fares aren't refundable. The vast majority of fares aren't refundable. Refundable economy is usually more expensive than a regular first fare.

VegasGambler Jul 8, 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31282348)
DL has had *some* P fares that were refundable and some nonrefundable, sometimes in the same market, but now DL uses G A P for PS (premium economy) so that the domestic FC fares are Z I D C and J (traditionally used for international business class) to add confusion.

I assume that those (discount refundable fares) have a fee, though, right?

MJMLBBtoCPH Jul 10, 2019 1:15 pm

My absolute favorite aspect of AS as my carrier is the refundability and flexibility of MVPG member tickets combined with upgrade opportunities. For someone like me who needs the flexibility to move flights to different dates as my paramount concern, you can't beat any other US airline in terms of cost (no change fees!!!) and quality (the ability to get some kind of premium class upgrade or service that is much better on long haul flights when compared to WN, the only other flexible ticket airline).

VegasGambler Jul 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH (Post 31289978)
My absolute favorite aspect of AS as my carrier is the refundability and flexibility of MVPG member tickets combined with upgrade opportunities. For someone like me who needs the flexibility to move flights to different dates as my paramount concern, you can't beat any other US airline in terms of cost (no change fees!!!) and quality (the ability to get some kind of premium class upgrade or service that is much better on long haul flights when compared to WN, the only other flexible ticket airline).

Definitely, free changes are the highlights of MVPG. It has saved me several hundred dollars this year (mostly from free SDCs allowing me to book the cheapest flight of the day, but also a flight cancellation when something else came up)