Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have You Tried Chat Yet?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, CX MPCS
I had to use chat on my return flight from EWR->SEA when the inflight gogo wifi pass did not allow me to login. I don't believe it was with an AS rep but it was nonetheless a good experience.
They provided a code for the duration of the flight so that they could fix my login offline instead.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Finally had luck applying a GGUC to an existing reservation tonight. Tried earlier in the week without luck.

Thanks AS ^ A solid improvement! And will help out when I'm overseas and inflight (when phone calls are either limited/difficult or very expensive).
Snowdevil likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrAlex
After my SDC experience on Thursday morning it seems like the SMS and chat interfaces are likely the same on the AS res end. Strangely, there were at least three agents on my text string over the time it took to SDC to a coterminal. And, at the end there was a sign off message of "your chat session has ended" which wasn't there in Nov the last time I used 82008. Maybe someone at AS or with more computing powers can confirm or deny.
The SMS and Web Chat feature are now integrated into the same system the agents use to take inbound calls, and one feature that was added is the "your chat session has ended" text message, where you previously didn't receive one under our older system that was in place until late June. I'm guessing you encountered a troublesome glitch we're still working on with our vendor, where SMS messages from Verizon or T-Mobile users that are greater than 160 characters, due to the way these mobile carriers' aggregators work, are interpreted as unique messages of 160 characters or less and are routed to separate agents.

So, a single 400 character inbound text message would be "broken" and see characters 1-160 go to agent A, 161-320 go to agent B, and 321-400 goes to agent C.

This only impacts SMS Chats, not Web Chats, and only those over 160 characters from Verizon or T-Mobile users. A fix is definitely in the works, however. Pardon our dust!
NoLaGent and DrAlex like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Snowdevil
Verizon or T-Mobile users
So, a single 400 character inbound text message would be "broken" and see characters 1-160 go to agent A, 161-320 go to agent B, and 321-400 goes to agent C.
Also apparently Google Fi customers (but I may have been on a T-Mobile connection since they buy tower time).
That's very interesting, thanks for sharing! My first message was 205 characters, so that would fit. Interestingly, the third agent to jump in happened about midway through the SDC process and I hadn't had another message above 160 characters, FYI.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Just for the record, I still have a 100% record in the web chat NOT being available. Would much prefer that to having to type on my phone keypad (too much fat-fingering!).
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by dliesse
Just for the record, I still have a 100% record in the web chat NOT being available. Would much prefer that to having to type on my phone keypad (too much fat-fingering!).
I tried the text system with no success.

And I haven't seen chat available recently as well...
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Due to some unexpected issues, the Web Chat offering is still "throttled" to 50% of visitors, but this will be remedied in the coming week or two.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
I tried the text system with no success.
Can you tell me when that was? We had a network outage that impacted our ability to process chat interactions, but it has since been restored.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Due to some unexpected issues, the Web Chat offering is still "throttled" to 50% of visitors, but this will be remedied in the coming week or two.
"throttled" to 50%? That seems dubious to me, when the Contact page says this:

Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
I just used the SMS to split a PNR and move half of my party to Premium. Was smooth and easy (I did if from the gym and didn't have to take too much time out from what I was doing). While I'm disappointed that the Twitter team can't do much of this (I much prefer that medium), I am glad I don't have to pick up the phone.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
"throttled" to 50%? That seems dubious to me, when the Contact page says this:

Yes, the chat offering is still throttled to be offered to only 50% of site visitors right now. We're scheduled to assess readiness early next week to make the final go/no-go decision to turn this up to a 100% offer rate.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yes, the chat offering is still throttled to be offered to only 50% of site visitors right now. We're scheduled to assess readiness early next week to make the final go/no-go decision to turn this up to a 100% offer rate.
I get the same message...makes me wonder who the lucky 50% are that don't get this message With that said, I've found the text feature to be pretty helpful although I think it's at the expense of the Twitter team being less helpful in terms of the number of functions (beyond polite conversation like "have a great trip").
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:15 pm

Can you tell me when that was? We had a network outage that impacted our ability to process chat interactions, but it has since been restored.
The agent was unable to help; referred me to reservations. So it wasn't a technical issue with messages not going through.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I get the same message...makes me wonder who the lucky 50% are that don't get this message.
I had gotten shut out until tonight when I tried. Of course, I don't actually need anything tonight 😂.
Snowdevil and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 10:35 am

I used the SMS today to cancel a reservation I had. It would not let me do it online so I hit up the Chat and they had it cancel within minutes. It was painless and quite easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.