Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No courtesy compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:43 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by zebranz
Ask AS for ORC? Apply the DL flight to DL Sky Pesos.
It appears it was an award flight.
Delta business/first leg -- booked into Z fare bucket -- rerouting on an Alaska award
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
So what exactly are you being compensated for? How was what happened to you detrimental In any way?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
yes, missed that. No mileage benefits- no ORC.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Maclock
By the way, being characterized as greedy is hilarious, especially when I've been clear throughout that courtesy compensation is what interests me.
HA! Clear throughout would've also been disclosing you were on an award ticket, but that never made it into your tale either. Cross-posting about it on the DL forum re: mileage credit probably wasn't the best idea.

The Mods should really close this thread.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
You should have told them no if you wanted compensation.
That's exactly what I would have said.....*NO THANKS*....I sure there are many folks would appreciate the non-stop, but to me, arriving 5 hours earlier to your destination should not be assumed to be the only compensation. If the price were similar, I would almost always choose a connection (or two or three) over a non-stop primarily because of the extra miles and honestly, I actually enjoy traveling....if I'm going to give up my carefully thought out seat selections on my AS flights as well as a chance to chill out in a lounge at SEA for a potential middle seat in the back of the plane on DL and have to beg for some ORC miles, I'd better be getting something for helping AS out in an oversold situation.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While you're perfectly entitled to your opinion, the fact that you have an opinion doesn't make it fact. I resent being called greedy when all I did was write to see whether courtesy compensation on Alaska, similar to what I've received from a direct competitor of Alaska in the recent past, isn't a thing. You might have been triggered by my characterization of the situation as a raw deal, but when how Alaska handled this is compared to how Delta handled a similar situation in which I was involved less than a year ago, I don't know how one could feel that Alaska is competitive on this front.
In my opinion and I think I speak for the majority of polenta-hating flyers on this forum (just kidding), you got a raw deal....yes, it's true that AS wasn't REQUIRED to give you any compensation, but it would have been a nice gesture since you really did help them out and they would have had to give compensation if they would have had to involuntarily denied boarding to another passenger. Lesson learned...next time ask about compensation before you agree to the schedule change.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, BA, DL, AA, JL
The fact that it was an award ticket is immaterial. People snag compensation on award tickets all the time. The Delta ticket that yielded me a $1000 pre-paid American Express card and 3,000 SkyMiles was also an award ticket. Keep coming at me, though, fellow posters. It's a right regular laugh riot.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
HA! Clear throughout would've also been disclosing you were on an award ticket, but that never made it into your tale either. Cross-posting about it on the DL forum re: mileage credit probably wasn't the best idea.

The Mods should really close this thread.
This is completely irrelevant and if this thread gets closed, then it'll be because some folks decided to turn it into a snipe fest.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:15 pm

Delta put me on a competitor, in the same class of travel, with a single connection to STL -- not unlike the single connection that I had on Delta -- and the rerouting got me to STL earlier than if I had insisted on flying the ticket as booked on Delta. Delta gave me a $1000 pre-paid American Express as thanks, as well as 3,000 SkyMiles for all of the messing around that I had to do. My experience doesn't seem to be uncommon on Delta if Internet anecdote is to be believed.
I'd imagine that's an outlier, but YMMV. In any event, had you insisted on additional compensation they'd have politely told you they'd let you know, then advised your assistance was no longer needed later once they found other willing volunteers who didn't demand additional compensation. Those other volunteers would have been given the nonstop flight to MSP and you'd remain with the same flights you were ticketed for.

There's always someone else willing to volunteer...
moondog and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
This is completely irrelevant and if this thread gets closed, then it'll be because some folks decided to turn it into a snipe fest.

actually it’s COMPLETELY relevant — you were booked on an AS connecting itinerary, on an award ticket that doesn’t earn miles; they offered you a NONSTOP flight on a non-partner competitor that arrived EARLIER (and that no doubt cost them the walk-up Z fare that Delta was selling), and you still think AS owes you something as a courtesy for helping them out of an oversell situation?

also curious if OP’s AS award ticket was in F ...
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767

actually it’s COMPLETELY relevant — you were booked on an AS connection on an award ticket that doesn’t earn miles; they offered you a NONSTOP flight on a non-partner competitor that arrived EARLIER (and that no doubt cost them the walk-up Z fare that Delta was selling), and you still think AS owes you something as a courtesy for helping them out of an oversell situation?
Whether points or cash, the form of tender for a booked and confirmed ticket is irrelevant in my opinion. A booked and confirmed ticket is a booked and confirmed ticket.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Although the relevance of this isn't entirely obvious to me, yes, it was in F.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*

actually it’s COMPLETELY relevant — you were booked on an AS connecting itinerary, on an award ticket that doesn’t earn miles; they offered you a NONSTOP flight on a non-partner competitor that arrived EARLIER (and that no doubt cost them the walk-up Z fare that Delta was selling), and you still think AS owes you something as a courtesy for helping them out of an oversell situation?

He also thinks that DL owes him miles for his AS award ticket, so there's that.

As already noted upthread, a deal's a deal. If he wanted a VDB, he could've taken it to the gate and got in 5 hours later if they needed the seat, or traveled as booked. Negotiating in hindsight is not how the game is played.
AS Flyer and notquiteaff like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
He also thinks that DL owes him miles for his AS award ticket, so there's that.
I don't think that Delta owes me those miles, but I did solicit some input as to why I was denied them. As the fare basis was Z on my newly-issued boarding pass for Delta, I did write to request mileage credit from Delta, for a Z-class fare/segment on Delta appears to be a mileage-earning fare/segment. The fact that Alaska's ticket number still appeared on the boarding pass didn't strike me as being of vital importance. I thought that there was a shot at getting the miles, so I asked for them. These are all things that I noted in my related Delta forum post.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although the relevance of this isn't entirely obvious to me, yes, it was in F.
Were you in F on the DL flight? If not, then that changes everything....you would have been downgraded and entitled to compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.