Wiki Posts
Search

No courtesy compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, BA, DL, AA, JL
Question No courtesy compensation?

At the gate in Canada before staring a recent trip, I was called by name to the podium. Upon arrival at the gate, Alaska inquired if I'd like to go directly to MSP on Delta as opposed to Y__-SEA-MSP. Presuming that they needed the seat because they were oversold, I said that I might be interested and inquired whether there would be any additional consideration/compensation. I was told that there would be no additional consideration/compensation. It seemed like an odd answer to me, but I agreed to the change and took the direct flight, which saw me get into MSP roughly five hours ahead of my originally scheduled arrival.

Presuming that this was some kind of mistake by the airport staff in Canada, I called Alaska customer service directly, and they, in turn, called the Alaska manager at the Canadian departure airport. The Canada-based manager said as I arrived earlier than would otherwise have been the case, there would be no goodwill compensation of any sort. This, despite me almost certainly having helped out AS with an oversold situation. And I couldn't claim SkyMiles mileage/flight credit on the Delta leg despite it booking into what appeared to be a Z fare bucket. All in all, the whole thing was odd.

I helped out Delta similarly last October, and Delta gave me a $1000 pre-paid credit card as thanks. Helping out Alaska wins you a smile and nothing else if you get in earlier. Is that it? Raw deal if you ask me.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Compensation for arriving earlier? Nope.
Adam1222, ryandc99 and jinglish like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
Compensation for arriving earlier? Nope.
Delta did just that for me last October. I'd have thought that Alaska would like to be competitive. Perhaps I'm mistaken.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Ask AS for ORC? Apply the DL flight to DL Sky Pesos.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Maclock
Delta did just that for me last October. I'd have thought that Alaska would like to be competitive. Perhaps I'm mistaken.
Most passengers would prefer a nonstop that gets them there 5 hours earlier, so I think asking for monetary compensation on top of that is a bit rich. But I do think original routing credit is in order.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Jul 6, 2019 at 1:18 pm
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sltlyamusd

Most passengers would prefer a nonstop that gets them there 5 hours earlier, so I think asking for compensation on top of that is a bit rich.
Not when their biggest regional competitor is doing just that though, I should think.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd

Most passengers would prefer a nonstop that gets them there 5 hours earlier, so I think asking for monetary compensation on top of that is a bit rich. But I do think original routing credit is in order.

Agreed. As a retired leisure traveler with time on my hands, I would have asked about the points for the original routing before accepting the offer. Any compensation would be a bonus, but it would hurt to fly SEA-MSP and earn no points.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
You were given an opportunity to avoid a connection and arrive at your destination five hours early... and you asked for compensation?

I would just ask for original routing credit, as someone has already suggested, and be done with it. Would be greedy to expect anything else, imo.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:31 pm

Not when their biggest regional competitor is doing just that though, I should think.
I don't know of many people who base their choice of airline on the compensation they may get for what amounts to a VDB, particularly with a great reaccommodation. . If you were unhappy with their compensation why did you accept the offer?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For most people, especially business travelers, getting in 5 hours earlier than expected is a pretty nice gift. It's cool that DL likes throwing out travel certs as well, but I dare say that the vast majority of us would be happy with the 5 hours saved alone.
Adam1222, PABE and skywardhunter like this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:05 pm

You accepted the reroute with no compensation, and now you want it? Lol
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:07 pm

Compensation for getring what 99% of travelers would consider a far better product than what you purchased???? I am sure you will be granted the miles for the for your purchased itenary if you clearly ask for that instead of compensation.

I will wager that the compensation DL paid was for a different scenario. Did they announce the need for volunteers? Or did you respond to a name your price offer at check in? In those cases of course you would get compensation, and you would on AS too. I guess you could criticize AS for proactively finding passengers that would not be inconvenienced by a reroute, but you could have refused and then volunteered if they asked for volunteers and they offered you enough to make up for getting you to your destination five hours early.

Why the secrecy?
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So you agreed to something and now you want something different than you agreed to? If you didn't like it you should have said no.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Delta put you on another airline that got you in earlier, and gave you compensation for it?
AS Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 3:27 pm

I helped out Delta similarly last October, and Delta gave me a $1000 pre-paid credit card as thanks.
Did Delta put you on a competitor, and/or add a connection where there hadn't previously been one? Or were you delayed substantially as a result? In other words, did you accept a routing that was noticeably worse than what you'd previously held with them? If so, that would easily explain their desire to provide you with such generous compensation.

If Delta were putting you on another Delta flight, nonstop, and getting you to your destination at the same time or earlier, I'd doubt they'd offer you anything other than a thank you and a smile as well since they're actually improving your experience, not negatively impacting it. That's what compensation is generally for - apologizing when your experience has been degraded.
moondog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.