Wiki Posts
Search

No courtesy compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Maclock
And that's how I got things going, with the Alaska gate agent stating in reply that there was no compensation on offer. If some of you think that airline-provided customer service is bad in the United States, it can be down right abysmal in Canada. My assumption -- admittedly my mistake -- was that this was little more than cheap, inexpert, sub-par Canadian customer service in action (as I'm Canadian, I should be allowed to say this), but there was hope that Alaska customer service might do something to rectify it. Lesson learned.
I think a VDB situation is different in that there is no standard, so it's not an issue of escalating to CS to get a by the book resolution. There's no book. It's really a function of need and the circumstances at play and what you can negotiate at that point in time. In one case there could be a favorable outcome (5 hour early arrival) they can start at $0 comp, in another case, they could start much higher.

I had a LIH-SEA-OAK (F on GGU) where I bumped to LIH-SJC Exit Row. They tried the same thing -- $0 comp, you're getting in earlier. I said no, I'm giving up my upgrade and going to the wrong airport. We ended up agreeing on $750 per person + lunch voucher + taxi up to OAK (where my car was). GGUs were returned from MileagePlan.
PDXPremier and thegingninj like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:15 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff

My guess is that there is more to the story. $1000 doesn’t sound like “normal” compensation for voluntary denied boarding (and re-accommodation on another carrier). In the post-Dao era compensation can, of course, go high, but that isn’t the starting point IMO. Also, surprising (to me) that Delta doesn’t issue Delta vouchers for future Delta travel instead of cash.
This is very normal when volunteers are needed. This past week they were desperate for 10 volunteers on a Delta flight and the offer got to 1600 before they got what they needed.

Everyone gets the final highest offer, even if you volunteer when it's lower. Delta has found that not everyone wants a travel voucher and would love an Amazon gift card or amex gift card.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by channa
I think a VDB situation is different in that there is no standard, so it's not an issue of escalating to CS to get a by the book resolution. There's no book. It's really a function of need and the circumstances at play and what you can negotiate at that point in time. In one case there could be a favorable outcome (5 hour early arrival) they can start at $0 comp, in another case, they could start much higher.

I had a LIH-SEA-OAK (F on GGU) where I bumped to LIH-SJC Exit Row. They tried the same thing -- $0 comp, you're getting in earlier. I said no, I'm giving up my upgrade and going to the wrong airport. We ended up agreeing on $750 per person + lunch voucher + taxi up to OAK (where my car was). GGUs were returned from MileagePlan.
It is reasonable to expect compensation in this situation. You were moving from F to Y and arriving at an airport that could be significantly more difficult to get to your destination from. The OP was flown in the same class of service and arrived at the same airport.

The OP still hasn't explained the circumstances of the $1000 cash payment from DL. This is not the usual compensation. If they announced the need for volunteers in exchange for $1000 of course he got the compesanrion, and he would have on AS too. This is a different solution in that AS saw an opportunity that they could solve the oversell situation and provide a better service to the OP. As others have said, if contrary to the expectations of AS staff, this was actually not a better service from the OP's perspective he could have said so and would have been able to take his originally ticketed flight, or volunteered when $ was offered.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:42 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Adam1222
As with all VDB situations, airlines "pay" the least they need to to give up a seat. You were willing to give up your seat for a more convenient flight. That was the bargain you agreed to, OP. VDBs don't work if people come back and demand more *after* the fact..
Change this to an IDB situation instead of VDB, and DOT would not require any mandatory compensation at all. That compensation doesn't kick in until you have at least a one hour delay (that gets you 200% of the one way fare for a 1-4 hour international arrival delay, up to $675). Getting in 5 hours early negates the compensation for being delayed. Now, where would the OP have placed on the IDB list if AS had to go that way? I don't know. Would an award ticket from a partner and no Alaska status move him to the top of the list of candidates to be IDB'd? If so, AS could have still rerouted him without offering any compensation.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zrs70
I don’t get why people are piling on the OP.

When an airline asks if the passenger wants to change flights, it’s usually because of an oversold situation. When a flight is oversold, the airline usually offers compensation above and beyond the alternative routing, regardless of whether the new routing arrives earlier.

Not unreasonable at all for the OP to anticipate compensation.

That said, he/ she should be clear about the transaction in advance of accepting it.
OP has also clearly said that their experience with AA is that the gate agents are often wrong about the availability of compensation and that it comes after the fact with AA. Whether or not you think OP deserves compensation for this situation, that detail alone makes me think it's plenty reasonable that they thought it might be forthcoming, based on their experiences.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:45 pm

OP, the next time you get upgraded from Y to F, be sure to ask for compensation.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A couple of off-topic and inflammatory posts have been deleted. The thread has turned into a general compensation discussion. We know how those turn out. It's time to close.
Jma12, ryandc99, pcoll and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.