Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No courtesy compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Maclock
I don't think that Delta owes me those miles, but I did solicit some input as to why I was denied them. As the fare basis was Z on my newly-issued boarding pass for Delta, I did write to request mileage credit from Delta, for a Z-class fare/segment on Delta appears to be a mileage-earning fare/segment. The fact that Alaska's ticket number still appeared on the boarding pass didn't strike me as being of vital importance. I thought that there was a shot at getting the miles, so I asked for them. These are all things that I noted in my related Delta forum post.
I hope they ask for an invoice/receipt, AS is now requesting them as well. The days of submitting just boarding passes are quickly coming to an end.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, BA, DL, AA, JL
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I hope they ask for an invoice/receipt, AS is now requesting them as well. The days of submitting just boarding passes are quickly coming to an end.
Nothing was hidden from Delta. As they asked for the ticket number as part of their online mileage claim form process, they knew that I was flying on an AS-issued ticket.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
To the OP: was earning miles on DL part of your calculus on taking the earlier flight?

I've been able to move flights before (AS metal) in an oversell and think I did get home early once. However, any compensation would be negotiated before accepting the reaccomidation (unless required by law- i.e. IDB or EU261 (for other situations).

Thanks for the datapoint of AS ticketing DL flights. Glad to know it's still possible. ^ IIRC DL and AA didn't endorse on each other for a while a bit ago.​
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Were you in F on the DL flight? If not, then that changes everything....you would have been downgraded and entitled to compensation.
Z is an F cabin booking code on DL. They did him a favor with the earlier nonstop, properly booked in F.

Nothing was hidden from Delta. As they asked for the ticket number as part of their online mileage claim form process, they knew that I was flying on an AS-issued ticket.
And you already know, from the 1st response in your DL thread (linked below) that there's no credit for your situation, but it's certainly worth a shot.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31275727-post2.html
Old Jul 6, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
By the way, being characterized as greedy is hilarious, especially when I've been clear throughout that courtesy compensation is what interests me.
I don’t think asking for more is greedy - it’s a tried and true method for getting more.

Having said that, I find it hilarious that you assumed the agent must be incorrect when they told you there would be no compensation. And why would AS offer such compensation when people are obviously willing to take the offer that they presented?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by creditcardmarauder
This is absolutely shocking that you think you're entitled to compensation for taking a quicker itinerary. Shameless!

Sounds very similar to how René (from René's Points) is always demanding compensation for every little thing that doesn't go his way.

Agreed. OP is crazy to expect compensation for Delta doing them a favour (regardless if it helped Delta).
OP’s attitude is exactly what is wrong with America today.

Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
To the OP: was earning miles on DL part of your calculus on taking the earlier flight?
In part, it was.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hbtr
Having said that, I find it hilarious that you assumed the agent must be incorrect when they told you there would be no compensation.
Well, having been in a situation at the same airport with Delta where the local gate agent faffed up the appropriate courtesy compensation when I helped them (and about whom I was later informed by Delta that she didn't know what she was doing), it didn't seem like a completely unsound notion to me.

Originally Posted by hbtr
And why would AS offer such compensation when people are obviously willing to take the offer that they presented?
As I was departing a larger Canadian airport that has but a handful of non-stop flights to US airports, most of which are on regional jets (the Alaska and Delta flights in question included), it's possible that I might have been the only passenger on that Seattle-bound Alaska flight who was going to a major US airport that afternoon -- Minneapolis-St. Paul -- that Alaska could move to a non-stop flight and free up the Seattle-bound seat that it needed. Admittedly, this is crystal ball stuff, though, and I'm speculating about it.

Last edited by Maclock; Jul 7, 2019 at 7:50 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
Agreed. OP is crazy to expect compensation for Delta doing them a favour (regardless if it helped Delta).
OP’s attitude is exactly what is wrong with America today.
Expect less, get less -- that's what happens if you don't push the limits, test boundaries, and ask questions, isn't it?

Also, I was helping Alaska, not Delta, but thanks for chiming in all the same.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
That's exactly what happened, with a $1000 pre-paid American Express card and 3,000 SkyMiles awarded after the fact.
My guess is that there is more to the story. $1000 doesn’t sound like “normal” compensation for voluntary denied boarding (and re-accommodation on another carrier). In the post-Dao era compensation can, of course, go high, but that isn’t the starting point IMO. Also, surprising (to me) that Delta doesn’t issue Delta vouchers for future Delta travel instead of cash.
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

IME Delta has been extraordinarily generous wrt compensation recently. While I've never been offered cash, $1000+ vouchers (for minimal disruptions) are fairly common.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
In my opinion and I think I speak for the majority of polenta-hating flyers on this forum (just kidding), you got a raw deal....yes, it's true that AS wasn't REQUIRED to give you any compensation, but it would have been a nice gesture since you really did help them out and they would have had to give compensation if they would have had to involuntarily denied boarding to another passenger. Lesson learned...next time ask about compensation before you agree to the schedule change.
I mean you can't fault them for trying. Many people (OP included) would take it for free. I wouldn't. But I realize my leverage in these situations -- they're only offering because they're oversold, and a few hundred bucks in funny money isn't going to hurt them. A mild pushback, "Sure, I can do that, what's the compensation?" usually gets the discussion moving. It wouldn't have to be much for a better flight like that, but usually they will find a way do something. After all, if they don't bump you, they'll have to bump someone else, and the likelihood of finding another passenger with an improved time situation who will fall for this is low (and they're under time pressure to remedy this).
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I don’t get why people are piling on the OP.

When an airline asks if the passenger wants to change flights, it’s usually because of an oversold situation. When a flight is oversold, the airline usually offers compensation above and beyond the alternative routing, regardless of whether the new routing arrives earlier.

Not unreasonable at all for the OP to anticipate compensation.

That said, he/ she should be clear about the transaction in advance of accepting it.
PDXPremier and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by zrs70
I don’t get why people are piling on the OP.

When an airline asks if the passenger wants to change flights, it’s usually because of an oversold situation. When a flight is oversold, the airline usually offers compensation above and beyond the alternative routing, regardless of whether the new routing arrives earlier.

Not unreasonable at all for the OP to anticipate compensation.

That said, he/ she should be clear about the transaction in advance of accepting it.
It's not unreasonable for him to ask for compensation. It's unreasonable for him to take the offer, after being told there would be no compensation, then follow up to continue to ask for compensation after he agreed to it without compensation, and then to come on here, complain about it, and repeatedly suggest his complaints aren't greedy because he is looking for "courtesy compensation". Of course, compensation implies he gave something up and is being compensated for his loss of that. He did not.

As with all VDB situations, airlines "pay" the least they need to to give up a seat. You were willing to give up your seat for a more convenient flight. That was the bargain you agreed to, OP. VDBs don't work if people come back and demand more *after* the fact.

We don't know all the factors that went into AS's decision here or DL's decision on another flight months ago.

If you don't want to sound greedy, let it go. If getting compensation for VDBs is what drives your choices of airlines, then fly Delta I guess.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
A mild pushback, "Sure, I can do that, what's the compensation?" usually gets the discussion moving.
And that's how I got things going, with the Alaska gate agent stating in reply that there was no compensation on offer. If some of you think that airline-provided customer service is bad in the United States, it can be down right abysmal in Canada. My assumption -- admittedly my mistake -- was that this was little more than cheap, inexpert, sub-par Canadian customer service in action (as I'm Canadian, I should be allowed to say this), but there was hope that Alaska customer service might do something to rectify it. Lesson learned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.