Enjoying my Alaska breakfast at 1:30pm

Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Enjoying my Alaska breakfast at 1:30pm

My SEA-IAD was originally scheduled to depart at 9:50am, but today it was rescheduled to 11:55am and didn't go out until 12:05pm. Had some congestion in the ramp area causing a further delay. By the time our meals were served, it was 1:30, and we landed at IAD 2.5 hours late. I was notified of the delay at 5 this morning via e-mail.

Is it common for Alaska to serve breakfast in the afternoon when they know hours in advance they won't be departing until around noon? Seems with plenty of advance notice they should be able to have catering switch to a lunch service instead.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I've seen AA change the meal out when a flight delay has taken it beyond the breakfast time recently. I know AA in the old days would still serve what your original flight was catered for. I wonder the logistics into this since it is not like they have a made to order chef doing orders day of.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Well, having worked AA ops in the "old days", SOP was to stick with the catering on hand. Unless of course, if it's considered spoiled. It's been my opinion (no facts or data points) that this is just how the industry works.
My days were pre 9-11, I'm sure it's worse now. Those meals are prepared many hours in advance. And it's not just the meals pre-prepared, but the scheduling of the trucks/personnel/getting TSA security checks/etc.
At major hubs, there are "hot" catering trucks on hand to handle food swaps due to last minute aircraft swaps, but that's moving existing (security checked) meals around, not trading breakfast out for lunch.
Meal pre-orders require 24 hour advance notice, so use that as a guideline.

Having said all that ...
I just flew TUS-SJC-DAL. The TUS departure at 7:05am was a (shelf stable, catered in SJC the afternoon before) breakfast. A short layover in SJC and leaving at 9:50amMDT for an after 3pmCDT arrival in DAL, and the meal was breakfast.
It was close to 11am MDT when the meal was served, but this seemed strange to me. I chose the "breakfst sandwich" and called it "brunch". It was tasty. Bagel/egg/ham and I think applesauce with a side of fruit.
tom911 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Hmm, I guess I have a lot lower expectations for an airline. I am happy to get a nice meal (btw I think AS has really upped their F food) and not really all that worried about if the food is time appropriate. Its an airline, not a restaurant.
mixmastermark, bmvaughn and Jma12 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: online
three60

Seems with plenty of advance notice they should be able
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Since the OP enjoyed his breakfast, and the operative word is enjoyed, he enjoyed his breakfast. Had they served lunch, he may not have enjoyed it. Although he may have.
tom911, sdsearch, bmvaughn and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:41 am

Truthfully, I think breakfast is the best meal on AS, so I'd be pretty happy to get breakfast from them any time of day!
icelandman2 and jjmadison like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
I love breakfast any time of the day, so it wouldn’t bother me one bit
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
Is it common for Alaska to serve breakfast in the afternoon when they know hours in advance they won't be departing until around noon? Seems with plenty of advance notice they should be able to have catering switch to a lunch service instead.
Normally, this wouldn't surprise me, but you'd think if it could be corrected anywhere, it would be at SEA.

Who knows what their reasons may have been though... they may have even felt some F passengers would be upset about not receiving their pre-ordered meals if the service were modified from what was advertised.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I love breakfast any time of the day, so it wouldn’t bother me one bit
Agree, breakfast is my preferred choice, then dinner, then picking up the rear is lunch. Not sure what lunch is other than a sandwich +/- chips.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by metallo
they may have even felt some F passengers would be upset about not receiving their pre-ordered meals if the service were modified from what was advertised.
yep; this would be me. If I’d preordered a breakfast meal, I’d be disappointed if it was subbed for a random lunch, even if the flight was delayed
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: AE, used to be E, Skymiles
This "Breakfast served all day" trend at restaurants is annoying. What would really impress me is to be able to get regular food served all day. Why limit certain hours of the day to Alabama chickens and pancakes.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like breakfast and hate waking up in the morning so all day breakfast works well for me. I'm not sure why I shouldn't eat bacon and eggs past a certain time of day.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I like breakfast and hate waking up in the morning so all day breakfast works well for me.
Maybe that's why you don't know about the Seattle call center!? 😂
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrAlex
Maybe that's why you don't know about the Seattle call center!? 😂
Do they go home at noon?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.