Seat power max amps?

Old Jul 2, 19, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Seat power max amps?

Just was on a OGG=>SEA flight with my new laptop (Dell XPS 16). Unfortunately, I discovered too late that it doesn't work with seat power; tried both my outlet and my neighbor's. Behavior on both was the same; the green light went out when I plugged in. Could use phone adapter (it was probably a 2A USB C adapter, but I don't remember which one I plugged in), so the outlets themselves were fine.

Is there anywhere Alaska says how much juice those outlets will provide? Couldn't find it on the website. My powerbrick is 130W/6.67A (I think; the 130W is big enough to read, but I'd need a microscope to get an accurate read of the font Dell uses for amps...). I'm thinking about a new laptop, so it'd be nice to know what limits to stay under.
Old Jul 2, 19, 10:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I remember it being discussed a few years ago in a few threads. This is way outdated information but it may still be relevant.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22017456-post28.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22021400-post29.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22190115-post27.html
And
high power laptop & in flight power
Old Jul 2, 19, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I charge my 15" MacBook Pro using an 86W charger without issue.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 12:28 pm

Multiple seat rows are daisy chained together and are allowed X amount of amps total. For each row of three seats, there is a potential of 2.0A at 110VAC. The first to plug in can use up to 1.8A. The second user gets 2.0A minus the first users amperage. The third user is 2.0A minus the first and second users amperage. If the other seat rows have also plugged in your row may not have 2.0A available.
Old Jul 2, 19, 12:28 pm

A quick Google search suggests that 75W is standard.

One of the linked posts says that though 75W is standard, he had never had a problem with 90W. I have had the same experience -- my macbook charger is 90W and it works fine on planes (the hard part is getting it to stay plugged in because the brick is so heavy).

If suggest seeing if you can find a 90W charger that's compatible with your laptop.
James Moore likes this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Putzy View Post
Multiple seat rows are daisy chained together and are allowed X amount of amps total. For each row of three seats, there is a potential of 2.0A at 110VAC. The first to plug in can use up to 1.8A. The second user gets 2.0A minus the first users amperage. The third user is 2.0A minus the first and second users amperage. If the other seat rows have also plugged in your row may not have 2.0A available.
Don't the seats also have individual breakers? Even if you are alone on the plane, I don't think you are getting 200W from a single plug
Old Jul 2, 19, 12:45 pm

No, there are six 25A system circuit breakers. Everything else is electronic load/thermal shedding.
Old Jul 2, 19, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Finkface View Post
I remember it being discussed a few years ago in a few threads. This is way outdated information...
high power laptop & in flight power
Thanks, that link was exactly what I needed. And sure enough, I'm hitting the same issues with a Dell laptop and an 130W adapter. It's going back to Costco.
Old Jul 2, 19, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
Thanks, that link was exactly what I needed. And sure enough, I'm hitting the same issues with a Dell laptop and an 130W adapter. It's going back to Costco.
If you don't like the laptop, certainly, return it.

If you like the laptop, just buy something like this:
Amazon Amazon
. It's a 90W adapter that's compatible with the XPS16. (I'm not necessarily suggesting this exact product -- it seems to have poor reviews -- it was just the first thing to pop up in a search for "dell xps 16 90W adapter")

Your laptop will charge at 2/3 the rate, which should really be fine. Your battery will have a longer lifetime too. This draws power at the same rate as a Macbook charger, which many people use on planes.

My point here is that the problem is not the laptop; it's the power adapter.
James Moore likes this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by James Moore View Post
Is it a USB-C adapter providing power? If so, finding a 60 or 90 W brick should be easy. It will probably power the laptop, though maybe it won’t charge it while operating.
James Moore likes this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 4:28 pm

Programs: AS G75K, Hilton Diamond
Yea..just drop down to the 90w power adapter and you will be fine.
James Moore likes this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The light going out doesn't necessarily mean you're pulling too much. Sometimes it's just a loose connection. Plug it in with a foreign adapter, and it'll work sometimes.
Old Jul 3, 19, 11:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I remember years ago when power outlets first appeared on planes, a suggestion I saw said to remove the battery first. Do you really need to charge your battery, while on the plane? charging the battery is where most the juice is going. Your PC itself uses minimal watts to operate. So lower watts on the power supply less amps on the outlet.
James Moore likes this.
Old Jul 5, 19, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scklumb View Post
I remember years ago when power outlets first appeared on planes, a suggestion I saw said to remove the battery first. Do you really need to charge your battery, while on the plane? . Your PC itself uses minimal watts to operate. So lower watts on the power supply less amps on the outlet.
A few things - one is that I haven't had a removable battery for years; that's not really a thing any more. (I'm sure someone ships machines with removable batteries, but that's much less common than it used to be.)

But you're a bit off about the PC itself using minimal watts. (Or you're right, and I'm going to be rich beyond my wildest dreams by mining crypto with those mythical machines that use minimal watts, as soon as I find out where to buy them :-]) There are lots of things that guzzle power, including your screen and the GPUs. Think of a GPU, even on a laptop, as a way to turn lots of electricity into lots of heat very, very quickly.

Last but not least, the seat power couldn't even handle the load of the adapter plugged in and not attached to the laptop itself, so none of that really matters. I'm not super impressed with Dell engineering.
Old Jul 5, 19, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill View Post

Is it a USB-C adapter providing power? If so, finding a 60 or 90 W brick should be easy. It will probably power the laptop, though maybe it won’t charge it while operating.
You'd think, but this is Dell, so it's their own gizmo. Before I ordered the laptop I just sort of assumed that everyone had moved to USB-C (I work on Android software, so I have piles of those things lying around), but NOOO Dell has to do their own thing.

Search this Thread