Search

Departing from EWR vs JFK to SEA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:26 am
_fx
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Departing from EWR vs JFK to SEA

Posting in the AS forum because I’m flying AS, and your JFK experience can vary greatly by terminal.

Flight is at 9am on a Wednesday. Flying F and have TSA Pre. Staying at an airport hotel the night before. Things I care about, in order: 1) departing on time. 2) Sleeping in, arriving at the airport as late as possible, and getting through security fast as possible. 3) Overall In-flight experience (example, Airbus with Viasat > Older 737 with GoGo).

Any suggestions based on personal experiences?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I left NYC via JFK about a month ago on the 9am flight. Security took about 2 minutes with Pre. I spent time in the Alaska Lounge which is really nice. The flight left on time as these are mostly west coast red eyes that are turning around so almost always arrive on time. My last flight was in a Boeing but it had the new satellite wifi and it was great and worked gate to gate. I don't know if you are in F or not but there have been a number of reports of the Airbus with the old interiors having broken F seats.

I have departed from EWR in the past. Security takes longer although its fine, the terminal is a dump, and you can use the Admirals Club if you are a Lounge member but its nothing fancy at all. EWR is also more prone to delays. I prefer JFK

Last edited by jsguyrus; Jul 2, 2019 at 8:38 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
AS uses the British Airways terminal at JFK (Terminal 7) where United used to operate before they abandoned JFK in one of Jeff Smisek's many short-sighted and stupid decisions.
Last time that I was in T7 it was heavily under renovation, which made the in-terminal experience a bit dreary. It's not a great terminal to begin with, with low ceilings, cramped gate areas, and a strange layout. Having said that, there is a flashy new Alaska Lounge (in the space where the United Club once was), and of course AS's concourse at EWR is horrible in almost every way.
I have found that security at T7 can be highly variable depending on what other flights are departing and whether they are operating proper PreCheck (Oftentimes they just have PreCheck light where they give you a card and you have to queue up with everyone else, so no real time savings.) But security at EWR can be just as variable and lengthy.
Frankly if headed to/from Manhattan, I think JFK is a better option then EWR. It's got good transit options via Airtrain to A or E trains or LIRR, and it's a shorter/cheaper Uber or taxi ride. The biggest downside at JFK is that the airport hotels are awful and very limited. I haven't tried the new TWA hotel but the reputation has been that it is expensive and the service not so good. EWR has far more airport hotel choices.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:01 am

If you’re flying F, I would go out of JFK because of the lounge access. The terminal experience is also superior.

I think EWR is more accessible from Manhattan and has better hotel options.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I fly to NYC a couple times a month, and generally fly into JFK and out of EWR. I mainly do this because of the flight timing. Both terminals are not great, but JFK has the lounge and a bit better experience. EWR is a dump. Precheck times are usually quick at both. I believe most of the flights to Seattle are on 737's, but that might just coincidence because I generally fly the same flight. If you are driving, factor in traffic. I have specifically been caught up in some nasty stuff trying to get to EWR. If you are taking transit, I find both airports easy enough.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, CX MPCS
EWR is easier to access from NYC. I will usually fly SEA->EWR and back due to the accessibility.

Since you are planning on staying at an airport hotel, that is a moot point.

EWR terminal for AS is pretty dated, only 2 options to eat (Ruby Tuesdays, Seafood joint) + deli style stuff. The lounge is pretty dated too.
I don't mind this though since I will arrive pretty close to boarding and almost always take the 9am or 6am flight back to SEA.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
I've flown out of EWR only after a problem at JFK, so I'm curious what makes EWR better for NYC access? I recently did the whole subway thing from JFK into Manhattan (and back) and found it fairly painless...)
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mildfrequence
I've flown out of EWR only after a problem at JFK, so I'm curious what makes EWR better for NYC access? I recently did the whole subway thing from JFK into Manhattan (and back) and found it fairly painless...)
It's not actually better (or worse). EWR Airtrain --> NJ Transit or Amtrak --> Penn Station is maybe a little more time-consuming (and can be more expensive) than JFK Airtrain --> LIRR --> Penn Station. You can use the MTA subway to get from JFK Airtrain into the city; you have no comparable option at EWR. I prefer JFK for that and other reasons.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
It's not actually better (or worse). EWR Airtrain --> NJ Transit or Amtrak --> Penn Station is maybe a little more time-consuming (and can be more expensive) than JFK Airtrain --> LIRR --> Penn Station. You can use the MTA subway to get from JFK Airtrain into the city; you have no comparable option at EWR. I prefer JFK for that and other reasons.
Additionally if you decide for an Uber or are driving, depending on the time of day, I find the traffic in the Holland tunnel to EWR worse than driving to JFK.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA
EWR or JFK access depends a lot where one is staying. Hotel in Chelsea — EWR. Hotel on Upper East Side — JFK — This is for access via car - I have never taken the JFK Airtrain.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by _fx
Posting in the AS forum because I’m flying AS, and your JFK experience can vary greatly by terminal.

Flight is at 9am on a Wednesday. Flying F and have TSA Pre. Staying at an airport hotel the night before. Things I care about, in order: 1) departing on time. 2) Sleeping in, arriving at the airport as late as possible, and getting through security fast as possible. 3) Overall In-flight experience (example, Airbus with Viasat > Older 737 with GoGo).

Any suggestions based on personal experiences?
JFK T7 - TSA Pre doesn't always operate. You could get Pre-light (with a line, but not horrible line). Lounge is a pleasant space, should you end up with time. Terminal otherwise is not very exciting (especially by the AS gates) but is Taj Majal-like in comparison with EWR.
EWR - It has been a while since I've been in that decrepit dump, but the AS gates are just atrocious, the security lines aren't the best, and if they've dusted or mopped the floor since I've been there, it could only be to the detriment of the terminal.

All that said, if I could be guaranteed a non-reconfigured Airbus with a functional F seat, there's a lot of appeal to that. But no one will guarantee you that.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
The JFK or EWR decision is complex and varies from person to person. It's a combination of location, overall airport facilities, and specific features, like clubs and PreCheck.

The location question is sometimes covered in the New York City forum. That, in itself, is complex. From Manhattan, I tend to favor JFK but from Wall Street, EWR can be ok. For the absolute cheapskate, JFK is potentially the cheapest if one takes the subway and the Q10 bus because it's $2.75. 20 years ago, JFK used to be harder to get to so EWR was better from some parts of Manhattan.

I tend to like JFK Terminal 7 slightly more than EWR Terminal A. Food is about the same but I'd rank JFK 1% higher. I find the JFK Terminal much more relaxing than the crowded concourse at EWR. You can stroll around nearby gates, see empty gates or maybe a British Airways plane.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
One thing to consider when arriving into NYC is what can be a VERY long line at the JFK Airtrain ticket machines at the transfer point to LIRR or MTA. If you dont have a MTA card already, you will have to buy an Airtrain ticket before you can proceed on, the the line can be 20 deep at each machine, mostly with visitors who are working their way through the ticket purchase menu.
mildfrequence and BearX220 like this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:00 am
_fx
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like security is about the same, so going with EWR due to the proximity of the airport hotel for this trip.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"For the absolute cheapskate, JFK is potentially the cheapest if one takes the subway and the Q10 bus because it's $2.75."

Yes, that's true. But Manhattan to EWR can be had for $4.35 (less if you're 62 or older) by taking the PATH train to Newark Penn Station, and then the #62 bus (frequent service) to your EWR terminal. If you start from lower Manhattan, the PATH train from the old World Trade Center station to Newark Penn Station is a 22-minute direct ride; if you take PATH from other Manhattan stations, an across-the-platform transfer at Journal Square would be required.

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 7, 2019 at 4:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.