Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should AS Stay Committed to the MAX?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by JacksonFlyer
I have mentioned it before, AS is not really the best size of airline to managed various aircraft types. They had to have separate maintenance facilities and pilots for their previous 737 and MD-80 aircrafts and that will lead to operational problems particularly when AS has so many outposts. The best thing to do is stick with one aircraft type and I believe they will stick with Boeing. Yes, I would be happy to fly an AS 737 MAX particularly with an AS crew.
I agree in the past it was sensible to have a single type. AS twenty years ago only had about 85 planes in the mainline fleet, evenly split between 737 and MD-80. Might be bad luck, but nearly all of my mechanical delay experiences were on MD-80s. It seems AS struggled with two fleet types. Reliability was much better (industry leading, in fact) once AS retired the MD-80s. Though they also made improvements in operational efficiency that would have helped even had they retained two fleet types. Interestingly, nowdays I notice more delays on AS Airbus flights compared to 737, although it is just anecdotal and may have more to do with the routes they fly.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:16 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by channa
Walk away? The aircraft manufacturer is producing planes that cannot be legally flown. AS has plenty of leverage to renegotiate that contract at the moment.
Exactly and they are not growing anyway, so although they will need replacements eventually, they don't plan to start growing again until at least 2021, there is still time. By then we could well be in a recession or continue to be in one that started earlier--thus further delaying their growth plans and the need for new planes.
sltlyamusd likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:46 pm

Walk away? The aircraft manufacturer is producing planes that cannot be legally flown. AS has plenty of leverage to renegotiate that contract at the moment.
Boeing has built planes for Alaska’s specification. That’s some pretty good leverage on Boeing’s side of the table.

Disputes, delays and termination are all specified in the purchase agreement. I think the ability of an airline to walk away - or renegotiate- is overestimated.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Given that SEA is by far AS's biggest hub I would think they also get a degree of hometown goodwill for flying Boeing planes. If the plane is deemed airworthy and WN, AA, and UA are also flying it at that time why would AS suddenly say "no thanks"?
jinglish likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
The 737 MAX will fly again. I see a parallel to the Ford Explorer tire problems of the late 90's/early 2000's, where nearly 300 lives were lost and 800+ injuries due to the faulty tires. They eventually replaced the tires and the Ford Explorer is still popular and still in production today. So, AS has nothing to worry about here. It's more of a question of how long it will take.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Boeing has a vested interest in building safe planes.
This is the logic that lead to lax oversight and allowed an unsafe plane to kill all those people.

Boeing has a vested interest to make money. They are only incentivized to provide just enough safety to maximize their profits -- any more than that is against their interests. This is why we are supposed to have independent oversight.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps a better question is... can AS stay committed to the MAX?

This article suggests that it will take until at least April 2020 before the MAX can be certified as airworthy, assuming that the hardware changes mentioned in the article are necessary:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterco.../#64dd22c04206

Can AS go that long without getting new planes delivered?

And of course, the date just keeps slipping and slipping. Remember back in March when Boeing said that they'd have a fix ready in 10 days? Now we are talking about whether the plane will be grounded for more or less than a year. Who knows what else will be found in that time and how much further it will slip.

What if the date slips to the end of 2020? Some time in 2021? There is even a non-zero chance that this plane is never allowed to fly again. It's a LOW chance, but it seems to keep getting higher with every new issue that's found. Just a month ago I thought that it would get certified for sure (whether it was safe or not) but lo and behold, the FAA actually appears to be taking the role of an independent regulator this time around, and as they dig more, they find more issues.

So... if the date slips significantly, or if it's never allowed to fly again, what harm would AS suffer, and if the harm significant, can they mitigate this risk?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fly18725
Boeing has built planes for Alaska’s specification. That’s some pretty good leverage on Boeing’s side of the table.
And continued to build them, despite them being illegal to fly.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
They don't really have much of a choice. They've reduced output from 51 frames per month to 42, which is still a lot of planes piling up, but shutting down production or reducing the rate to a trickle would be a disaster--what are they going to do with the employees? Lay thousands of people off and try hiring them back when the fixes are approved? Or pay them to sit around and do nothing? Keeping the lines running means they're not getting themselves into labor issues, and they don't grow the production backlog too much during the grounding.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:00 pm

They are not illegal to fly.

Commercial operations are not permitted.
rickintul and jinglish like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AS
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Very unlikely that they could get any new planes from Airbus by then ...
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler

The short answer is yes. They already planned to start returning Airbus aircraft back to the lessors this year and planned to continue shrinking their overall fleet numbers through next year--even with the new MAX deliveries. Worst case scenario, they can extend the leases on a few of the planes they were planning to return to the lessors and send the bill to Boeing. In 2021, if things are still not sorted out then Boeing would be in far more trouble than AS.

AS is taking two years off from their regular growth cycle, so the timing works out fine for them in some ways. Too bad, DL/UA/B6 are growing at a rapid clip and can take more of AS's market share before AS finds some new route planners who can figure out where they will grow next.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:36 am

Separate from the MAX Alaska ought to be looking at the A321XLR, given the cities that could be reached from SEA/PDX/ANC with its proposed range.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by whlinder
Separate from the MAX Alaska ought to be looking at the A321XLR, given the cities that could be reached from SEA/PDX/ANC with its proposed range.
I don’t think there are any viable destinations that can’t be served with current equipment.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
I don’t think there are any viable destinations that can’t be served with current equipment.
How about SEA-LIR/SJO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.