Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Need 25K miles by 12/31 to get MVPG , suggestions please

Need 25K miles by 12/31 to get MVPG , suggestions please

Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by milypan

The obvious solution is then to do even more changes on your tickets. After 120 changes you should break even!
I'm certain that some do that ALL THE TIME and such abuse of the system will lead to this very crucial benefit to be reduced to nil or to some random number of changes.

I will admit with aging parents, I have had to cancel or move a few trips, but not that many.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by lalala
I'm certain that some do that ALL THE TIME and such abuse of the system will lead to this very crucial benefit to be reduced to nil or to some random number of changes.
this

granted, we FTers aren't representative of the vast majority of the traveling public (or probably, for that matter, the majority of the AS Mileage Plan MVPG/75K community), but it's not so much the abuse as it is the gloating about it here that could easily turn into the last straw
Finkface likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
There may well be. But my suggestion was a tongue-in-cheek comment on the frequently invoked FT fallacy that the value of a perk or mileage redemption is the retail price of the flight taken or fee avoided. It is not.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
this

granted, we FTers aren't representative of the vast majority of the traveling public (or probably, for that matter, the majority of the AS Mileage Plan MVPG/75K community), but it's not so much the abuse as it is the gloating about it here that could easily turn into the last straw
Alaska could care less about a guy like me or you changing from a PE seat to a J class seat on a CX flight 6 months from now. Until last year as long as it was 60 days before flight time they allowed everyone to do it as often as they wanted. I have talked to partner desk reps who said that people do it all the time. On a paid ticket you are still paying the fare difference if there is one and there often is so Alaska is seeing the revenue from it. All they are doing is moving you to a different flight. Its the flip of a mouse In each case they are seeing real time revenue from the sale of that seat.

I doubt Alaska is going to take the comments of a few people on a message board and say "time to do away with this perk"

The change fee is similar to a baggage fee. What once was free is now monetized just like every other aspect of air travel. I guarantee you the bean counters keep a watchful eye on every so called perk and when the investors call for ever more cost cutting to increase share price, they will find another dollar to squeeze out of passenger. It's how its always worked. Soon it will be no change fees for 75K only and it won't be because 10 FlyerTalk members changed their tickets 100 times in a one year. It will be because their analytics software identified another incremental increase to their bottom line. 5 years ago there were no change fees for MVP's.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
every call you make to a change is costing Alaska money on man power.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by pbd456
No way, really? Good thing they factor that into their cost structure. I'm guessing they are absolutely loving that $125 change fee plus the new fare revenue they charge to the majority of people changing their flights. Given the man power probably costs them $15 for the call, they are making a healthy profit on each change.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:06 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by pbd456
sometimes excruciatingly as some people are never satisfied with what they have
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

sometimes excruciatingly as some people are never satisfied with what they have

If I am booked in to Y or PE and find seats in J or F on a 15+ hour flight, I am definitely going to switch flights. Sounds like the smart play to me. YMMV.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know how much you guys think phone agents make but I'm pretty sure each call does not cost $15
jonnyz1245 and wolfpacktrojan like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I have zero issue changing my flights as many times as I want, and use that benefit often for both awards and purchased tickets. Traveling as much as I do, I really value the flexibility. Additionally, and perhaps most importantly, If there was more award availability, I wouldn't need to change as often as I do. IMO, its one of the few differentiators between them and Delta, and one of the key reasons I have kept my business with them after all the devaluations.
jonnyz1245 and thegingninj like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't know how much you guys think phone agents make but I'm pretty sure each call does not cost $15
I'm just guessing based on all sorts of assumed metrics. Salaries, benefits, training, infrastructure costs, IT etc etc. They must amortize all that stuff. Probably costs more like $5 but it for sure cost something. But honestly I don't care what it costs, its a perk offered at my level of status and I will use it as many times as I find necessary given my travel plans. Nothing wrong with that
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't care either -- I make changes when I need or want to.

I'm sure that there's a reason that their phone centers are in Boise and Phoenix, and not in Seattle and San Francisco.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I don't care either -- I make changes when I need or want to.

I'm sure that there's a reason that their phone centers are in Boise and Phoenix, and not in Seattle and San Francisco.
When did they move their phone centre out of Seattle?

James
Old Jul 4, 2019, 12:28 am

if traveling in F or J is required, why not book it in the first place?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 4:58 am

Delta claimed that they cut award redeposit for platinum due to abuse

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.