Volunteers Needed To Take A Later Flight

Old Jun 26, 19, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Various
Volunteers Needed To Take A Later Flight

Do any others have experience with the process that takes place if you go on the “Volunteer” list ?

Im not doing it any longer, because I feel it affects how my possible upgrade gets processed. It’s bad enough with Alaska’s broken upgrade process...this seems to worsen it.

All four times I’ve put myself on this list, I wasn’t needed for oversell, and no upgrade was offered either, though several did clear before the upgrade list shows up until departure.

MVP Gold. Routes have been ORD-LAX, LAX-PDX, ONT-SEA
Old Jun 26, 19, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K,AA Plat, UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glb, Accors Plt, Natl Exec, Avis PC
I would have no expectation that this would influence upgrade processing... if at the gate and "on the bubble" where you are high enough on the list with respect to seats available for sale, just remind them you still want to clear your upgrade

...and also... I once received a $200 voucher as a thanks for volunteering and in the end, NOT being selected!
mildfrequence likes this.

Last edited by dmodemd; Jun 26, 19 at 3:46 pm
Old Jun 26, 19, 3:48 pm

Not sure if it would connect with upgrade processing, but I have gotten this message a couple times during OLCI. Despite volunteering, it was unclear if any volunteers were used in the end. There were no announcements at the gate. In one case we left with at least a couple empty seats.
Old Jun 26, 19, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
If an extreme oversell (ie a/c swap) sometimes res will process the bump before airport arrival. Nice to either leave early, or stay late and not worry about this at the airport
Old Jun 27, 19, 9:35 am

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
On a recent flight from SAT back to SEA, I got an email noting the flight was oversold and AS was looking for volunteers. I clicked the buttons and was then put "on the list." Got to the airport and checked in (I had a bag) and asked the agent who told me she had no idea where I was on the list and if I'd get bumped. I went to the gate and asked the GA who also had no idea. After asking in a different way, I was told the flight was not actually oversold and no volunteers were needed. I wasn't getting an upgrade to begin with, but if I hadn't been proactive in asking, I'd have been standing at the podium until boarding was complete, waiting to hear. They seem to have a broken system.
Old Jun 27, 19, 9:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Spire Elite
Have clicked the email and added myself to the list of willing volunteers a few times now, and still had upgrades process just fine. I don't think there's any real link between the two, and it's likely just the typical upgrade issues AS seems to have on an ongoing/inconsistent basis.
JPat and icelandman2 like this.
Old Jun 27, 19, 12:46 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by dmodemd View Post
...and also... I once received a $200 voucher as a thanks for volunteering and in the end, NOT being selected!
received this treatment once as well.
Old Jun 27, 19, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
If an extreme oversell (ie a/c swap) sometimes res will process the bump before airport arrival. Nice to either leave early, or stay late and not worry about this at the airport
I've tried this before and every time they have told me that the flight is not oversold any more. I strongly suspect that they send out these emails in non-oversell situations.

If the reservation agents will move you to another flight before your get to the airport, do you still get the voucher? I could not see myself volunteering for a bump at the airport, ever. It's not worth the inconvenience for a few hundred dollars.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 27, 19, 5:37 pm
_fx

Programs: AS MVPG
Gotten (voluntarily) bumped a few times ... but I have *never* seen an a flight oversold after receiving one of those emails.
Old Jun 30, 19, 3:29 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
I don't think I have ever seen this and if it does happen it is most certainly not standard operating procedure. If you are being called and given choices on rebooking then yes that could happen, but RES removing you from a flight and rebooking you on whatever they can find without consulting you is a big no no. Without you agreeing to the terms of the bump (compensation, rebooking, hotels, meals, etc.) it is no longer voluntary and opens the carrier up for INVOLUNTARY denied boarding claims, which are paid out in cash and reported to the DOT.
For example, I am booked on a 7am flight LAX-SFO, I have a graduation to attend at 10am the next day. I receive the oversold email and say yes I volunteer. At the airport the agent says the next flight they can rebook me on is at 3pm the next day. At that time I rescind my volunteer offer since the rebooking option does not work for me. Alternatively, if RES had seen my volunteer response and rebooked me on the 3pm flight the next day without my approval, I would be entitled to the DOT mandated compensation for involuntary denied boarding, the cash compensation, lodging, meals, possible OAL rebooking, the whole lot. This is why there are volunteer lists that hare handled at the airport, the airline can see who is open to the idea and present them with options they can accept or decline if the volunteers are needed. And speaking of volunteer lists.....

For upgrade eligibility, on Alaska, volunteering does not affect upgrades at all. With other airlines that use the same underlying reservation system, volunteers are placed on the same upgrade/awaiting seats/standby list. With those carriers you can only be on the list once, either for an upgrade or as a volunteer, but not both. Most use a text note to get around this along the lines of "John Smith #1 Upgrade....Will Volunteer" but that must be manually inputted and automated systems do not check for text remarks. Alaska uses a completely separate list for those willing to volunteer. Volunteering will not affect your place on the upgrade or awaiting seats list, so upgrades and seat allocation should occur as normal. The only thing stopping that is a gate agent smart enough to compare the two lists and page up anyone on both lists to explain the situation and go over options to make sure they don't board and then upgrade someone they need to take the next flight.
be_rettSEA and icelandman2 like this.
Old Jun 30, 19, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by brettsir View Post
I don't think I have ever seen this and if it does happen it is most certainly not standard operating procedure. If you are being called and given choices on rebooking then yes that could happen, but RES removing you from a flight and rebooking you on whatever they can find without consulting you is a big no no.
I think he's referring to an agent bumping and rebooking voluntarily when you call (rather than having to do it at the gate)

Search this Thread