Alaska cancels Bellingham Maui route

Old Jun 26, 19, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: alaska
Alaska cancels Bellingham Maui route

this was a great direct route, now you have to route through the seattle. that blows, not sure if its all but they are not showing any in jan. this was a seasonal route. they re-booked me in jan. I didn't see any other dates
Old Jun 26, 19, 11:10 am

I had to look that one up.

What were the flights like before this was cancelled? Full? Empty?
Old Jun 26, 19, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: alaska
hawaii flights seemed to be full to me anyway
Old Jun 26, 19, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K / HIlton Diamond
Wonder if they'll replace with PAE service to Hawaii once(if) they start 737 service there.
Old Jun 26, 19, 1:30 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
AC and WS have three flights a day from YVR at reasonable prices so it probably does not make sense for AS to use one of their planes on that route which occupies it for the whole day. It is not like they are growing and with the MAX grounded, that limits things even further. If people are loyal to AS, they will just fly through or from SEA. Canadians would be better off taking a non-stop on a Canadian carrier from YVR.
Old Jun 26, 19, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K / HIlton Diamond
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
Canadians would be better off taking a non-stop on a Canadian carrier from YVR.
Right. But the experience for a Suburban BC resident, driving to BLI is a LOT nicer than flying international out of YVR, and it is way closer than YVR for Abbotsford/Chilliwack/Langley customers.
Old Jun 26, 19, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
The BC residents also avoided the border taxes by driving and then flying a domestic flight in the states.
Old Jun 26, 19, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Full / empty is not the issue. It is PRASM. Anybody can fill an aircraft if the fares are low enough.

This will not only push traffic to SEA, but prop up SEA prices because there will be greater demand.
wrp96 and jimmygottfredson like this.
Old Jun 26, 19, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by lg20 View Post
The BC residents also avoided the border taxes by driving and then flying a domestic flight in the states.
Right but with fares in the $200 range each way from YVR, there is no need to fly out of BLI.
Old Jun 26, 19, 3:33 pm

Looks like it is official...Alaska Airlines to drop key winter destination flights out of Bellingham

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/business/article231977872.htm
Old Jun 26, 19, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Full / empty is not the issue. It is PRASM. Anybody can fill an aircraft if the fares are low enough.
For sure.

This will not only push traffic to SEA, but prop up SEA prices because there will be greater demand.
I'm actually not sure if that's true (much). Aren't the BLI flights mostly serving the BC market? People actually in Bellingham will prop up SEA demand, but I suspect the many more people in BC who were going to BLI will by and large deal with YVR and the trans-border taxes rather than drive to SEA.

(That doesn't mean I'm arguing that this move doesn't make sense. And didn't this flight originally start up to fend off Allegiant, a task it has more than succeeded in?)
Old Jun 26, 19, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by ashill View Post

Aren't the BLI flights mostly serving the BC market? People actually in Bellingham will prop up SEA demand, but I suspect the many more people in BC who were going to BLI will by and large deal with YVR and the trans-border taxes rather than drive to SEA.
Circumstances changed and AC has much more capacity now from YVR to Hawaii and the prices are comparable to those in the US so no reason for Canadians to go all the way to BLI to get to Hawaii now.
Old Jun 26, 19, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
Circumstances changed and AC has much more capacity now from YVR to Hawaii and the prices are comparable to those in the US so no reason for Canadians to go all the way to BLI to get to Hawaii now.
Also UA offers very cheap YVR-OGG fares.

I've found that (on UA) YVR-SFO-OGG is often cheaper than YVR-OGG. In fact, I've found that you can sometimes nest a YVR-SFO-OGG round trip inside a SFO-YVR round trip (flying SFO-YVR-SFO-OGG rt) for about the same price as a SFO-OGG round trip. (I've never done it, but I've priced it out)
Old Jun 26, 19, 8:16 pm

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Well, the CAD is now down to $1.31 for $1 USD, compared to $1.37 a few days ago. It hasn't been doing well against the USD lately, so the exchange + taxes out of YVR probably just don't make much sense for BC'ers to cross the border and fly out of BLI.
Old Jun 26, 19, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; HHonors Gold; NEXUS
This flight was always a great one to keep in the back of your pocket for a MR or for U space. It was almost always pretty cheap and F upgrades were easy to clear.

I'm not surprised that this flight got axed.
JPat likes this.

Search this Thread